World of Warcraft: Current Year

Cybsled

Thunderforged is just a given tier, but slightly better. It's not hard. It's basically the WoW version of getting a "Strange" item variant in TF2 or DOTA2.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I honestly don't care one way or the other on the Thunderforged stuff. I'm assuming Thunderforged will be 100% off of "elite" modes just like protector's elite (which they said they would be doing more of with ToT). They're probably testing out some ideas on getting rid of valor upgrades so people don't feel burned out after feeling like they NEED to max valor every week versus one-off upgrades. I appreciate that they're still kicking around ideas and not completely phoning it in.

In other news, I can't wait to see what feature they haven't announced that Ghostcrawler seems so proud of:

rrr_img_10829.png

kudos

<Banned>
Thunderforged is just a given tier, but slightly better. It's not hard. It's basically the WoW version of getting a "Strange" item variant in TF2 or DOTA2.
You don't see how fucking retarded it is to have dev time wasted on 5 tiers of raid and 6 tiers of armor? it's stupid. Make LFR / NORMAL / HEROIC and be done with this dumb shit.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
You don't see how fucking retarded it is to have dev time wasted on 5 tiers of raid and 6 tiers of armor? it's stupid. Make LFR / NORMAL / HEROIC and be done with this dumb shit.
While I side with the roots of your overall sentiment, you do realize this particular new "feature" is simply a couple of number formulas right? The drops have a chance to be +X ilvl. Done and done. They are not losing any significant dev time on it.

kudos

<Banned>
While I side with the roots of your overall sentiment, you do realize this particular new "feature" is simply a couple of number formulas right? The drops have a chance to be +X ilvl. Done and done. They are not losing any significant dev time on it.
I understand as far as gear goes. But what about the raid mechanics of each of the 5 different raid tiers? That has to take some time. Gear is generic and uninteresting now and I understand that.

Cybsled

There are only LFR/Normal/Heroic items. 10 and 25 mode normal/heroic raids all have the same item drops. All 3 modes will have a chance of one of the normal raid item drops be slightly better (Thunderforged). Where are you getting this 6 tiers of armor bullshit?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I understand as far as gear goes. But what about the raid mechanics of each of the 5 different raid tiers? That has to take some time. Gear is generic and uninteresting now and I understand that.
Yes, having multiple raid tiers is retarded and I've hated it ever since they implemented it. That's what I meant by siding with your overall sentiment. But this Thunderforged shit is just more nonsense that they can easily shoe-horn in and call it content/features. It's certainly more retardation, but getting bent out of shape over it is misplaced. That ship has sailed unfortunately.

kudos

<Banned>
There are only LFR/Normal/Heroic items. 10 and 25 mode normal/heroic raids all have the same item drops. All 3 modes will have a chance of one of the normal raid item drops be slightly better (Thunderforged). Where are you getting this 6 tiers of armor bullshit?
I was under the wrong impression 25 man gear was better for some reason. Nonetheless the gear isn't really the issue.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
There's still too many teirs, even considering blues. Christ, while I was leveling up I had ilvl 404, 410, 415, 420, 425, 430, 440, 450, 458, 463, 476...then you finally start raiding, and it's 483, 489, 496, 502, and any upgraded levels.

What...the...fuck?

spronk

FPS noob
reason for thunderforged is to try and prop up the dying 25 man raiding scene, thunderforged items will drop a bit more often from 25s than 10s. And as Vex says, perhaps a salve when they get rid of upgrade vendor. While almost everyone says 25 man raiding felt more epic, its getting harder and harder to find 25 man raiding guilds. It feels like a very inelegant solution to the problem, hope all the big changes coming down for 5.2 isn't a sloppy mess that turns off most players.

Blizz announces earnings Feb 7th I think for Oct-Dec 31st, be interesting to see if MOP brought sub numbers back up or if they are still on a downward decline. It seemed to be buzzing along pretty good until this month, but now seeing a lot of players just not logging in anymore - maybe just my server/friend list of course.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Hearing a lot of the same things and seeing a lot of the same things. My guild only really logs in for raids. I've even gone back to level some jedi in swtor. ><

Cybsled

There's still too many teirs, even considering blues. Christ, while I was leveling up I had ilvl 404, 410, 415, 420, 425, 430, 440, 450, 458, 463, 476...then you finally start raiding, and it's 483, 489, 496, 502, and any upgraded levels.

What...the...fuck?
EQ1 had too many tiers...Blackburrow was Tier 1, Crushbone was Tier 2...ZOMG IT'S TOO COMPLEX!!!!

People just need to stfu about tiers. Let's make it simple. There are only 2 tiers: Stuff that used to be the best items and the stuff that is currently the best items. Honestly that's all people really need to give a rats ass about.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Tiers were a decent way to refer to things in the old days, but their design has gone more toward 'ilvl is all that matters', and that's just being reinforced with all the variations you can get in your loot nowadays. ILVL = ALL, but it's not necessarily a fun way to refer to things.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
That would be a fine way to refer to things, except that all the patches not only introduce more ilvls, but more "best ilvls". And it's not all from just raiding the best shit. The upgrade guy is gone in 5.2 but now there's heroic thunderforged. Did we really need another "best of" to attempt to get?

JUST LET ME GET OFF OF THE MERRY GO ROUND.

Cybsled

Honestly it's smart. It gives value to raids on farm, whereas now once you have what you want from a raid, your motivation to do said raid drops. Now you have a chance to get a superior version of the normal loot, but it's much more rare, thus it gives a bit more incentive to actually do the raid.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
But it's only thunderforged for that teir right? So most guilds using dkp aren't going to buy a slightly higher ilvl than 489 while they're in HOF/Terrace, or in 5.2 in Throne. If you're having trouble farming Throne, yea maybe it's a bit of a perk, but I really don't see this meaning anything to people who would give a shit about a slightly higher ilvl. (As you'd just hope to get the best ilvl from Throne.)

Yea maybe the first few bosses in Throne will be nice as you're progressing, but any guild really concerned will be headed towards heroic, and then heroic thunderforged.

Just give us legitimate valor gear not tied to reps, k thanks.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The next series of Valor gear will only be gated by the raid rep (which can be obtained through LFR):

3) if the valor rep is related to the raid (most likely it is), can you also get it through LFR?
The developers don't want fresh 90s to skip previous content and jump into the newest, so you'll still need 480 item level, but all the changes introduced to previous content will definitely help catch up quicker (lower prices, higher drop chance...)

Also, the valor reputation can be earned through the Raid Finder too but you need to kill bosses to get beyond a certain threshold. So we probably won't see something like the old Icecrown Citadel reputation runs.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if they'll implement something to discourage people from running the LFR multiple times a week to get exalted the first week.