World of Warcraft: Current Year

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
It takes 45 days of cooldowns, assuming you find sufficient ore to do the daily cooldowns every day, to make a 665 epic in WoD, which is the same ilvl as the first raid tier. That's a long time but in MoP it was 28 days for a raid tier-equivalent item so that's not a massive change.

What is a massive change, however, is the sheer amount of materials needed for an item. An ilvl665 epic requires 450 truesteel ingots to make. 100 for the base blue (640) item, then 150 for the essence to upgrade it to 655 and then 200 for another essence to upgrade it to 665. The secondary stats are random, so figure you'll have to use the reshaper (100 ingots each) to reroll the secondaries once or twice. So figure 600 truesteel ingots per item. It takes 7.5 ore to make 1 ingot, (20 true iron and 10 blackrock convert to 4 ingots) so that's 4,500 ore neededper item.It literally requires mining about 2,000 mineral nodes, in an environment with no flying mounts, to makeone item.

People desperately trying to keep up with their daily cooldowns in order to get their 10 ingots per day (or the LW/Tailoring equivalents) so they can have their epics are going to absolutely suck all the mats out of the market. Combine that with a dramatically reduced number of gatherer characters due to the fact that it's a pain in the ass with no flying, and you're got a real problem. Flasks will be 500-1,000g each, no joke.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The Garrosh trial at the end of MoP made absolutely no sense. Not only did this yahoo kill a ton of people and devastate a large chunk of Pandaria, but he went so far as to kill a lot of his own people and impose a totalitarian police state. In the process of taking him down you kill metric fucktons of his supporters and lieutenants and then at the very end suddenly its time to call in Judge Judy? It isn't in the character of any of the people involved to want this trial to take place and causes a big screeching halt to suspension of disbelief in what had otherwise been a pretty good narrative.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
It takes 45 days of cooldowns, assuming you find sufficient ore to do the daily cooldowns every day, to make a 665 epic in WoD, which is the same ilvl as the first raid tier. That's a long time but in MoP it was 28 days for a raid tier-equivalent item so that's not a massive change.

What is a massive change, however, is the sheer amount of materials needed for an item. An ilvl665 epic requires 450 truesteel ingots to make. 100 for the base blue (640) item, then 150 for the essence to upgrade it to 655 and then 200 for another essence to upgrade it to 665. The secondary stats are random, so figure you'll have to use the reshaper (100 ingots each) to reroll the secondaries once or twice. So figure 600 truesteel ingots per item. It takes 7.5 ore to make 1 ingot, (20 true iron and 10 blackrock convert to 4 ingots) so that's 4,500 ore neededper item.It literally requires mining about 2,000 mineral nodes, in an environment with no flying mounts, to makeone item.

People desperately trying to keep up with their daily cooldowns in order to get their 10 ingots per day (or the LW/Tailoring equivalents) so they can have their epics are going to absolutely suck all the mats out of the market. Combine that with a dramatically reduced number of gatherer characters due to the fact that it's a pain in the ass with no flying, and you're got a real problem. Flasks will be 500-1,000g each, no joke.
I read this as "Skip WoD."

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The Garrison vomits Ore and Herbs, so they upped the Ore and Herb requirements to compensate.

Don't you love 0-Sum "Bonuses"?

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
They even doubled down on herb requirements as the LW, Enchanting, and Tailoring daily cooldowns all require herbs now. Literally every crafting profession except Blacksmithing requires mass herbs for their basic crafting items.

Even worse, some idiot had the brilliant idea to put in "greater" flasks that require ridiculous amounts of herbs, not understanding that min/maxing progression guilds are going to mandate use of these. One greater flask requires 50 herbs to craft. One flask. That means sustaining a mythic raid requires 1000 herbs per hour, or about 400 herb nodes picked per hour of mythic raiding.

Like I said, pick gathering professions. You'll be able to unload the stuff you herb and mine while leveling to 100 for like 100,000 gold to your server's raid guild.

EDIT: I missed that the flask combine makes 5, not one, so I was off by 5 the first time. It's still a ridiculous amount though.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Gonna give WoW another shot with WoD after not having played seriously since WotLK. I bought both Cata and MoP on release but only played each for less than two weeks before quitting for the rest of the expansions. Can anyone give me a description of how each class performed in MoP and how they seem likely to turn out in WoD? I would read some articles, but they're always full of bullshit because the writers seem afraid of saying something's fucked up even if it is, so it's pretty worthless information. I'm leaning towards healers this time around.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Enchanting and Tailoring require herbs? What...the...fuck. For 10 years my Mage has been self sufficient as an Enchanter/Tailor but no more? Just silly

DavivMcD

Peasant
Fuck crafting for the past couple expansions anyway. Especially tailoring. We should have cheap and easy to make bags with like 30 slots at this point in WoW's lifespan, but the most cost effective bags are still Netherweave, from the first fucking expansion. Why does every new bag recipe require exponentially more cloth and bullshit cooldown mats to make? Because it would spoil the super awesome fun inventory management 'mini-game'?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
then spends the entire expansion complaining that everyone is too violent and why can't we all just get along and why doesn't anyone ever listen to meeeee?
He's a priest. What did you expect? It's always the healer's fault.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
So just started playing again for the first time since vanilla and am pretty noob. What crafting/trades should I be doing as I level up?

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider

It's extremely stupid, if and only if, I won't be able to get a ton of materials from my garrison. On the other hand, 30 days of cooldowns is already more than I can stomach, especially when there is no farmable shortcut (such as the engineer daily combine that cannot be done more than once a day like for example the Accelerated Celestial Cloth done by using farmable spirits of harmony), 45 is going to be forgettable, except for gold profits if it's resellable. I won't lose sleep over this.
For me crafting is something I do when I got fuck all to do. I level usually my herbalist/alchemist first (flask/money) and my miner/engineer second (for fun toys, engi helm, etc.), but I'm not even close to be the AH camper of the year, I just do it casually and I care more about gathering for a few months (money is money).
My 3 herbalists are happy as they'll be able to dump tons of herbs on the AH for insane amounts of gold if your predictions are true ^^

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
....or the loss of fun and useful skills like monk's Clash, but in general they seem to have a done a decent job with pruning.
Im pretty sure Clash was removed just because it was useless on so many mobs that you would actually use it on. When you were leveling, it was fine. When you start raiding though - its not like you can clash a boss. Any adds that happen during a boss fight are gathered up and aggroed much better with a roll to them, spinning crane kick, roll back.

I did manage to get into a few 10N Garrosh groups on my warlock (ilvl 564 - I was going to buy a carry but at this point I feel like fucking myself in the foot, 564 shouldn't need to buy a carry). We did not so bad a few times but in the end all I got out of it was a repair bill. One day...
If you're going to buy a carry at all, spend the gold on a Heroic Carry instead. Relatively easy to find a 25 man that will carry you. You have options as to what you want to achieve out of getting carried, so it could be really cheap versus really expensive.

There has been blue posts saying they are planning on adding flying in 6.1, or possibly later.
Plus, they always push to have no flying each expansion. They dont cave completely though, cause we always have that "Cold Weather Flying Skill" and the other bull shit thats a gold sink, level requirement etc. which insures that we see fucking everything before we fly around. Im sure this expansion we'll have "Atmospheric Flying" or some such bull shit.

- And Miele, I get the "immersion" thing - but not having flying for a "long time" would make me never leave stormwind once I was max level. // And the third nipple bit about Vol'jin? Funny as f'k.

The crafting shit is just going to cause botting to go up. I have no idea why the hell they would go about making crafting more time consuming. Finding a way to make it harder is fine, but requiring more time? Dumb.

Needless

Toe Sucker
They should just go back to how they handled epic weapons like stormherald and shit back in TBC. If you want the last version of it, get drops from the raids or dungeons themselves... not farm 100000000 pieces of shitty ore, theres nothing "epic" about taking 45 days to farm ore.

Bruman

Golden Squire
They should just go back to how they handled epic weapons like stormherald and shit back in TBC. If you want the last version of it, get drops from the raids or dungeons themselves... not farm 100000000 pieces of shitty ore, theres nothing "epic" about taking 45 days to farm ore.
They want some sort of gear to be special. To meet that at all, they have to be throttled somehow in how you achieve it. For MMOs, (and I'm stealing this from another poster) - the only currency that matters is time. That's either fight the RNG monster (which can leave you with terrible luck) or time-related stuff (reliable ore/valor/stones/etc drops, but with raid lock-outs you can only do so much in a week). Which side of this shit sandwich do you want to bite on?

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Anyone know if the boss encounters in WoD are harder/more complex to offset the squish to abilities which has simplified (some say "dumbed down") the gameplay?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know if the boss encounters in WoD are harder/more complex to offset the squish to abilities which has simplified (some say "dumbed down") the gameplay?
What makes you think that fewer buttons means they have to design more complex bosses? SoO had some pretty meh/simple fights, but it also had very complex (and fun!) jewels like Siegecrafter. They may not have hit a homerun on fun with every boss, but they definitely got the raid's difficulty curve spot on, IMO. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt going into WoD.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
What makes you think that fewer buttons means they have to design less complex bosses?
I think you misunderstood my post. Blizzard said part of the reason for reducing the number of abilities across the board was so they could design MORE complex boss mechanics. I'm just curious to know if this is actually the case in WoD dungeons and raids (assuming raids are even in the beta).

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I think you misunderstood my post. Blizzard said part of the reason for reducing the number of abilities across the board was so they could design MORE complex boss mechanics. I'm just curious to know if this is actually the case in WoD dungeons and raids (assuming raids are even in the beta).
I totally did misunderstand at first and tried to ninja edit
tongue.png

I know one thing they've talked about is escalation of movement requirements because ranged were got so many "cast while moving" abilities in MoP. The lead encounter designer mentioned that he wanted to move away from fighting the floor and move towards more interesting mechanics. I haven't watched many of the fights from beta to see how that philosophy is holding up though.