World of Warcraft: Current Year

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yup I think that is the vibe they are trying to hit you are building your old warcraft base you can live in. I honestly would have loved it if they had at least a few race specific building options like if you are draenei you could choose draenei buildings to make up your garrison and so forth. That would have been a ton of extra art assets though so I can understand why they chose not to do that.
Do people play Draenei?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lots of people play Draenei, they just never set foot in Exodar again after level 12.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
My shaman is a draenei but really you could cut and paste any race type a gnome would love a gnome garrison of gnome buildings. Its not like they in general don't have race specific buildings for all the races as general templates.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I asked this over in the guild thread but curious what everyone thinks. Fresh boosted 90 pally. I missed the whole 'needs to be 60 for professions thing' so looking to level up a couple over the next few days prior to launch. I don't have a surplus of cash so thinking a couple gathering professions. Someone in the guild recommended herbalism because of the demand for portions and whatnot immediately following a release. Guys here agree with that?

And then what to pair it with? I've read some stuff recently about leather selling well. Worth it to grab skinning over mining?

Open to suggestions. Thanks.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
One thing to note if you are not maxed out currently you may just want to wait till the expansion. There is stuff in WoD that lets you level your skills up from 1 to the new max just doing WoD stuff. That and 90% of what a crafter can do can be done via the crafting building in your garrison so if you may not even wind up really doing much of anything with your own crafting skill basically it just speeds things up.

Vitality

HUSTLE
If you're taking herbalism to cover multiple professions, mining would fall in line with that setup more than skinning.

Here's the tricky part: Are you going to be bothered to gather regularly enough to make this a decent profitability : play time ratio?

I'm always going to tell people to get into a market and buy undervalued items and resell. If you can't be bothered with that I think it's fine to go herb/mining. Skinning can be good if you're in a grindy mood. This is all said not knowing what WoD will do to the production crafts.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'd agree with the market buy low/sell high type deal, but every xpac since WOTLK has had herbs and ores at extremely ridiculous prices for the first month. There's a lot of gold to be had there especially if you're already considering keeping those professions anyways. If you're gonna herb like a madman and make plenty of $$$, I suggest you buy a Skygolem mount, as you can herb while still mounted, similar to flight form for druids.

Either way, first month economy of the game is gonna be whack as fuck and probably no matter what you do you're going to make plenty of gold.

axeman_sl

shitlord
With everyone getting a free dose of herbs and ore from their garrison every day, I don't it'll be as lucrative as previously.

Rime

<Donor>
It takes an ABSURD amount of gathered materials to make an item in WoD.

The ore and herbs are not enough if you want to be a serious crafter. Think of it more like the garden from MoP. A supplement to gathering, not a replacement.

1TruesteelIngot is 20 xTrue Iron Oreand 10 xBlack Rock Ore.

To make ONE of the 630 Weapons, you will need 100 Truesteel Ingots, 20 True Iron Ore, and 20 Blackrock Ore.

To upgrade it to 645, it takes 100, 20, and 20 again. Then again to upgrade it to 655.

The 640 Armor has similar requirements, 100 Truesteel Ingots and then a secondary item depending on the slot (Herb, Leather, Cloth, etc).

All the other crafting skills use similar amounts of their components (Tailoring, I know, uses a buttload of herbs to make it's item specific cloths).

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I missed the whole 'needs to be 60 for professions thing' so looking to level up a couple over the next few days prior to launch.
The short answer is: don't. Or at least don't go out specifically to farm for professions.

The only profession that apparently needs to be 575+ is Archeology. You can't do anything in Draenor if you don't have 575+ because no digs will show up.

Otherwise, if you have a profession at 1, you'll eventually loot at scroll that let you raise the max to 700, no trainer needed (or raise garrison to 2, then buy the building and buy the scroll at the building). Then:

Fishing: as usual, anywhere. Until you're 600+ you only catch the trash fish; you need to fish in nodes to get the main ones.
First Aid: You have 4 recipes along with your scroll, all can be raised from 1 to 600+, give 5pt per combine, and require... fish.
Cooking: You have 2 fish recipes along with your scroll, all can be cooked from 1 to 650+, give 5pt per combine below 600. More fishing.
Herbalism: You can gather any herb at 1 with normal skillup. Until you're 600, you'll get herb fragments, need 10 to combine into an herb. At 600, you start getting full herbs.
Mining: Same thing. You get ore pieces, 10 to combine into an ore.
Skinning: Same thing again, at 1 you get a single fur scrap that you combine.
Alchemy: Starting recipes at 1 with the same +5pt per combine, require all kind of fish (I hope you like fishing), except for cooldown-bound recipes which require herbs/ore. (the recipes you learn later start using ore, flesh and finally herbs)
Tailoring: Like all "main" skills, you get recipes that can be done at skill 1, give 5pt per combine. The cloth is called "fur" on Draenor (not to be mistaken for skins, which are for...)
Leatherworking: Exactly like tailoring, but with skins. Same recipes, cooldown-bound combines, etc.
etc, etc.

You can also get random drops that start quest for repair and give you big skillups, but they're rare and not necessary since you have Draenor recipes starting at 1.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Gathering professions will be profitable for a month or maybe two, then the demand for materials will be gone, as every garrison (every single garrison, alts included) will produce more than needed, demand will crash and prices will make it almost pointless to put up stuff for sale.
Gold in these days is pretty much useless: aside from purchasing special mounts and battle pets (if that's your thing), you gain much more than you need for day to day maintenance of current affairs, just by questing or working on a faction, etc., hell if you go for mog items in old raids, you gain tons of gold just by clearing them out and selling all the junk you get on the way.

I don't like Garrisons to be honest. On paper they look good, in reality they'll make the world and the cities less populated, people will finally be able to play solo without ever seeing other people and pretending that dungeon and raid finder are providing bots that can use swearwords and make retarded jokes.
As much as I was pumped up for MoP, I'm not so enthralled by WoD. First it's full of orcs and it's time to just say "fuck orcs" (and trolls), secondarily I'm getting to play Warcraft 3 again, which I don't want to, thirdly the setting is another lol-lore gem and the trousers of time (Trousers of Time - Discworld Terry Pratchett Wiki) once again are stretching a bit too much, must keep them pressed and mended.

Oh I'm sure that I'll play and have a lot of fun, but I've always criticized Blizzard when due and this is one of those times: some stuff post 5.4 is subpar and the "it's tuned for 100" bullshit is what it is, just a bullshit.
Ability pruning going too far, sound effects changed after 10 years (why?), perfectly fun and interesting specs ruined by 6.0, crafting relegated to pointless right away, and so on and so forth. I hope playable content, as in dungeons and raids have mantained a modicum of challenge in heroic mode, because while I have no patience (and free time and relaiable guildmates) to play Mythic, clearing at least heroic is my goal and I like to be challenged, I'm sure Blizzard will deliver, but 6.0 made some doubts grow.

DavivMcD

Peasant
The short answer is: don't. Or at least don't go out specifically to farm for professions.
All the gathering professions already act like that in Pandaria. Might as well get them up now so you can start getting real mats instead of scraps for the first few days of WoD.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
It takes an ABSURD amount of gathered materials to make an item in WoD.

The ore and herbs are not enough if you want to be a serious crafter. Think of it more like the garden from MoP. A supplement to gathering, not a replacement.

1TruesteelIngot is 20 xTrue Iron Oreand 10 xBlack Rock Ore.

To make ONE of the 630 Weapons, you will need 100 Truesteel Ingots, 20 True Iron Ore, and 20 Blackrock Ore.

To upgrade it to 645, it takes 100, 20, and 20 again. Then again to upgrade it to 655.

The 640 Armor has similar requirements, 100 Truesteel Ingots and then a secondary item depending on the slot (Herb, Leather, Cloth, etc).

All the other crafting skills use similar amounts of their components (Tailoring, I know, uses a buttload of herbs to make it's item specific cloths).
You actually get four from that combine, but as the 640->655 upgrade costs 150 ingots and the 655->665 upgrade costs 200 ingots, it's still 3500 ore required for one 665 epic armor piece.

The real moneymaker is going to be greater draenic flasks. One daily cooldown makes four greater flasks, or four hours of mythic raiding for one person. With progression guilds, that's not even going to cover their raiders that have alchemy. They're ALL going to need to be buying everyone else's daily cooldowns just to have raid flasks and that's going to drive the prices up to ridiculous levels.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
When MoP first hit, I was selling stacks of Ghost Iron for 300g a piece, and no one was farming them in Kun Lai. Can't wait to make some bank since I'll be hitting Warlords right at launch at 2am

Menion_sl

shitlord
Just keep on mind that every player will have access to their own personal mine 1 hour after entering WoD, their level 2 mine another hour after that and at 96 their own personal garden in their garrison.

I foresee a lot of people running multiple alts just for access to those resources as well. These materials are primarily going to be used for work orders. Not sure just how great the signal demand is going to be for resources above and beyond your daily work orders. However, I suspect that resources from excess garrisons are going to help stabilize the economy somewhat.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Meh, there will always be a need for materials one way or another. Even now at this moment people are still buying enchants and enchanting mats and we're a week off from WoD?? I don't understand. Also massive amounts of herbs and ore. Even when there's an over-abundance and not much need, mats will always sell. Plus I bet a decent chunk of the population isn't going to give a shit about their garrison after a week or two as well.

Menion_sl

shitlord
A lot of people (including me) are shuffling professions around and filling gaps prior to WoD to be self sufficient. Hell, I just leveled my first LW/Skinner 1-600 yesterday. I also plan on raising my DK's Engineering to 600 before the expansion to gain access to all the pre WoD items like the mailbox/repair bot etc. Although there are catchup mechanics in WoD to level professions a lot of people don't want to deal with leveling them 1-600 once WoD drops.

I can't find it anywhere but I did read somewhere that the higher your mining/herbalism is the more ore/herbs you get from each gather. Is that true? If so, I am wondering if it's better just to turn my alts into gatherers once all my professions have been covered.

Is anyone planning on running multiple crafters of the same profession? I have multiple tailors on my account (3 I believe) and am wondering if doing work orders on them all makes sense. Not only can you crank out hex weave cloth faster but it also would give me access to excess materials, allow me to craft multiple BoE armor pieces and crank out bags faster. I already plan on running multiple garrisons with barns to unlock the T3 barn ASAP. (Requires 125 barn work orders across your account)