World of Warcraft: Current Year

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'll never understand those that take a full day off work to play day 1 of a video game, specifically an expac of an MMORPG. It's not like the game is going anywhere, world firsts don't mean anything anymore and you probably lost more money (in vacation/sick leave) for that day then the expac probably cost. I guess it's just me getting older.

Now get off my lawn.
Im in the same frame of mind. The player not only loses a days wage from not working that day, but also rushes through the 90-100 content... and.. that was basically all that was available at launch. I dont think its an "old grandpa" kind of attitude, just a non-downs thought process. lol Leveling isnt even that big of a deal until MC comes out and thats just really for the mount and achievements.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I took the week off, but then I work at a university so get 25 days + 8 bank holidays + 2 weeks at christmas + 2 free days in november or december. Its a hard life. Compare that to my job in Canada, 2 weeks toral and christmas came out of that + about 10 national holidays.

Alpha

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It's called paid time off on a salary... I took a week myself to nerd it up in wow and school.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
To me, the value of racing to 100 and doing heroics etc is just being able to experience the content when all party members will be under geared and generally unaware of the mechanics. I find that infinitely more fun than thrashing through a few weeks in when eveybody knows the fights and you will almost be expected to be over-geared. First heroic runs through the docks, slag mines, ubrs etc over the weekend were really really fun, probably stuff that I will remember for a while to come. Not sure if I could say that if I took it slow through the leveling process.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Day 2 of profits on the pooper:

rrr_img_82825.jpg

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got the 665 Tradeable caster offhand to drop off a normal mob. Sold it for 149k. Must be nice to have so much gold that you can just spend that much on one piece of eqiupment. I was not sad though.

Now I have run into the resource problem after having upgraded my garrison to level 3. Will build a trading post as soon as possible to help alleviate some of the pain.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
To me, the value of racing to 100 and doing heroics etc is just being able to experience the content when all party members will be under geared and generally unaware of the mechanics. I find that infinitely more fun than thrashing through a few weeks in when eveybody knows the fights and you will almost be expected to be over-geared. First heroic runs through the docks, slag mines, ubrs etc over the weekend were really really fun, probably stuff that I will remember for a while to come. Not sure if I could say that if I took it slow through the leveling process.
Doing those Heroics in early BC was easily the most challenging and fun dungeon content in a mmo since EQ.

Still on the fence about buying the new xpac. ill prob decide in the next few days. Worried ill be overwhelmed and feel lost not playing since 07.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Doing those Heroics in early BC was easily the most challenging and fun dungeon content in a mmo since EQ.

Still on the fence about buying the new xpac. ill prob decide in the next few days. Worried ill be overwhelmed and feel lost not playing since 07.
Honestly, if you want to play WoW again this is the time to do it. All the classes had their ability (bloat) gutted and streamlined. I have to imagine that if being overwhelmed was a concern before, it is going to be significantly lessened. I hadn't played since Cataclysm and I don't feel like I had much issue getting caught up.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Tried a challenge mode dungeon today. They're fucking insane, it almost felt broken. I'm at ilvl 633 but it was basically unhealable, the tank was simply taking more damage than my maximum possible throughput. Can't really say whether or not he played optimally, but in many cases, even against trash, he was taking more damage than could be healed by full HoTs and glyphed Regrowth spam. One boss was hitting for 100k, no joke, just straight up swinging for 100k per attack. My biggest heal crits for 50k, HoTs tick for about 5k. 630 tanks have about 250k hp before buffs.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah, I really feel like they went overboard on lowering heal output. I understand that nobody is in "optimal" gear yet but it's getting insane.

axeman_sl

shitlord
It's particularly the nerf to AoE healing that causes problems. Wild Growth literally ticks for like 1% of people's hp while the fights seem designed to domoremulti-target damage than ever before. The fights are often a complete clusterfuck and the healer has to put in a 110% work effort in order to stave off a wipe. They needed to make mana matter and they needed to do something about smart heals because they were too easy to use in raids, but they also chose to just make healing a lot weaker in general for some reason.

Having 630 or better in every slot, mostly with optimal stats, half of the heroics still feel like I'm a bit undergeared because healing is simply that weak. We don't usually wipe in heroics, but there's a lot of deaths that simply can't be helped because healing that much isn't mechanically feasible. Anything that isn't your big single-target heal (which is either really expensive or really slow, depending on which one you choose) heals for so little that it can only be used to patch up minor stray damage. In many of these fights, I simply cannot stop chaining heals on the tank for a moment unless he pops a cooldown, which you can only do so often. Some of the AoE is avoidable, but a lot isn't, or is so RNG that you can't really expect people to avoid it.

I tried a couple more challenge modes since the first run, and although I know I play the class adequately and my gear is literally as good as currently possible short of buying insanely expensive BoE epics, the boss fights often feel mathematically impossible to heal. The damage simply exceeds maximum possible healing output for the class combinations I've tried thus far. I'm not failing to make use of some source of healing, and it doesn't seem likely that all the tanks are playing wrong, healing just feels about 25% too weak while the fights are simultaneously designed with much more AoE and movement than before. It's uphill even as a resto druid, the supposed to be king of movement.

I browsed a shaman forum and apparently people have even been kicking resto shamans from groups (frequency no doubt exaggerated, but several shamans mentioned having been kicked at the start of heroics because "shamans can't heal this"). I also end up in half-finished dungeons an unusual amount of times when queueing solo. I think a lot of people are having issues with the new healing design.

It's particularly the nerf to AoE healing that causes problems. Wild Growth literally ticks for like 1% of people's hp while the fights seem designed to domoremulti-target damage than ever before. The fights are often a complete clusterfuck and the healer has to put in a 110% work effort in order to stave off a wipe. They needed to make mana matter and they needed to do something about smart heals because they were too easy to use in raids, but they also chose to just make healing a lot weaker in general for some reason.

Having 630 or better in every slot, mostly with optimal stats, half of the heroics still feel like I'm severely undergeared because healing is simply that weak. We don't usually wipe in heroics, but there's a lot of deaths that simply can't be helped because healing that much isn't mechanically feasible. Anything that isn't your big single-target heal (which is either really expensive or really slow, depending on which one you choose) heals for so little that it can only be used to patch up minor stray damage. In many of these fights, I simply cannot stop chaining heals on the tank for a moment unless he pops a cooldown, which you can only do so often.

I've tried a couple more challenge modes since the last post, and although I know I play the class adequately and my gear is literally as good as currently possible short of buying insanely expensive BoE epics, the boss fights often feel mathematically impossible to heal. The damage simply exceeds maximum possible healing output for the class combinations I've tried thus far. I'm not failing to make use of some source of healing, and it doesn't seem likely that all the tanks are playing wrong, healing just feels about 25% too weak while the fights are simultaneously designed with much more AoE and movement than before.
Sounds like a tanking problem to be honest. This expansion is all about moving out of the way of shit that hits hard as hell. Basically every pull has something that's avoidable. After doing a first run through of all the heroics, I blow through all of them in 15-20 minutes now depending on the instance. Would be faster, but DPS seems to have forgotten to kill specific targets. I do find myself trying to help the healer I'm with as much as possible, though. I shield wall/last stand on pulls I know will be lots of damage, and actively kite via thunderclap as necessary. The kiting part is more about saving mana though so I can speed things up.

Challenge modes are the same shit, just ramped up damage and more stuff to avoid. Instead of hitting for 20-40% of your HP, the avoidable damage hits for 40-80% of your HP.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Keep in mind though; lots of people are still of the mindset "hey, pull EVERYTHING AND AOE" while never avoiding mechanics (which trash have more of now). So, dumb, or not acclimated players.