World of Warcraft: Current Year

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
but I'm a little nervous that I'll be completely overwhelmed even with the option to insta-level a toon to 90.
The game eases insta-leveled chars into the game by not giving them all of the class abilities (and even access to glyphs and talents) at once. You get them piece by piece by doing the intro quests. Picking a healing/tanking spec on any of the hybrid classes may be a bad idea, however.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Is it really possible to get back into WoW at this point? I haven't played since Frozen Throne, and I'm not even sure if I ever hit max level in that expansion. I would probably reroll a toon on a server where some work colleagues are playing, but I'm a little nervous that I'll be completely overwhelmed even with the option to insta-level a toon to 90.

Looks like no promising mmorpg on the horizon, archeage was a dissapointment. I'm thinking this is really the only option if I want to play something in the genre.
Yes its a great time, the streamlined rotations make it way easier to get in and play without reading volumes on rotation and having twenty different cds. Paladin is what I play and it isn't far off from the play style it had in wrath.

On the topic of tanking, it can be so brutal between undergeared tanks in dps gear and trash that hits hard, players who don't cc and don't interrupt and split dps, half my heroic groups are just trash where even me playing great as a well geared healer can't carry them. Most people don't even seem to bother reading the two lines in the journal that tell you what a boss does.

Dbm and gtfo are amazing addons so much ground spawn fire in this expac is kinda hard to see having that alarm is great.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
You like arms?
It does the most DPS at ilvl 630 for me out of the 3 but im leveling my DK now. Honestly warrior feels very weak to me after coming from a DK =/. Will have to see once I get my DK heroic geared how he stacks up.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Yeah when grouping in heroics yesterday I noticed that the other dps were taking a lot of avoidable damage and not making use of any damage mitigation or self healing. I was using Ice Barrier on cooldown and chugging healing pots when needed. Since I have a Mistweaver monk alt I was also scooting around picking up heal orbs to top myself off which everyone else was treating like plague blankets.

It's good that they decided to increase personal responsibility, but they did so at the same time they eviscerated movement options and everyone just blames the healer.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Is it really possible to get back into WoW at this point? I haven't played since Frozen Throne, and I'm not even sure if I ever hit max level in that expansion. I would probably reroll a toon on a server where some work colleagues are playing, but I'm a little nervous that I'll be completely overwhelmed even with the option to insta-level a toon to 90.

Looks like no promising mmorpg on the horizon, archeage was a dissapointment. I'm thinking this is really the only option if I want to play something in the genre.
Get in there buddy, no better time than now.

And the fresh 90 thing... you should be able to do the intro quest chain (up to Garrison, I believe) to learn abilities and how they go. After that, ready icyveins for overall strategy on your class/spec/role (or post here) and away you go.

Anyone have tips for GR btw? I've got JC/Enchant/Mine/Herb/Barn/Barracks (and I'm about to level up... something). I hit 100 on Sunday and haven't really focused on much except exploration (and continued questing in nagrand).

Yeah when grouping in heroics yesterday I noticed that the other dps were taking a lot of avoidable damage and not making use of any damage mitigation or self healing. I was using Ice Barrier on cooldown and chugging healing pots when needed. Since I have a Mistweaver monk alt I was also scooting around picking up heal orbs to top myself off which everyone else was treating like plague blankets.

It's good that they decided to increase personal responsibility, but they did so at the same time they eviscerated movement options and everyone just blames the healer.
As a rogue (with max first aid and a fetish for fishing), I fucking love it. I keep waffling between tele-ambush and shadowstep, but COS/Feint/Evasion/Combat Readiness for avoidance and Recuperate for self-heal, I take the least amount of healing (generally). The big toss-up is do I get cheat-death for avoidance, elusiveness for on demand-mitigation, or leeching poison for more self-healing.

Vitality

HUSTLE
GR Tips:

Get a follower with the "scavenging" +mission rewards % trait and save him for the garrison resource missions

Tradepost lets you get 30gr/5 mats/4 hours (180gr/day) **I've been able to keep wo's maxed out on just leather and mining mats for dirt cheap, I never spend herbs on this ever**

Lumbermill has been reported to be great GR generation, requires more effort than the tradepost in my opinion.

Google quests you haven't finished that give 50GR as a reward and get those done.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
My advice on garrison is don't over level buildings too fast, having enough gr to run a ton of missions is way better than having a lvl 3 whatever in most cases. Salvage yard should be your next small it is important to start getting that achv done if you plan on getting your followers ilvl up.

And ya tradepost or lm is great for a week or two to get you established, after that trade it out for an inn imo. Assuming as a raider you were running rax and barn before but you could do inn instead of barn if you don't care about blood, which might be smart since getting blood in a reasonable timeframe is pretty brutal and unless you are doing it on alts too

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
GR Tips:

Get a follower with the "scavenging" +mission rewards % trait and save him for the garrison resource missions

Tradepost lets you get 30gr/5 mats/4 hours (180gr/day) **I've been able to keep wo's maxed out on just leather and mining mats for dirt cheap, I never spend herbs on this ever**

Lumbermill has been reported to be great GR generation, requires more effort than the tradepost in my opinion.

Google quests you haven't finished that give 50GR as a reward and get those done.
I have one of those guys but he kinda makes me sad. He is green so has almost no other skills so he gets sucky mission completion rates but the boost of GR makes me keep throwing him at the wall and when he fails its really sad.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
My advice on garrison is don't over level buildings too fast, having enough gr to run a ton of missions is way better than having a lvl 3 whatever in most cases. Salvage yard should be your next small it is important to start getting that achv done if you plan on getting your followers ilvl up.

And ya tradepost or lm is great for a week or two to get you established, after that trade it out for an inn imo. Assuming as a raider you were running rax and barn before but you could do inn instead of barn if you don't care about blood, which might be smart since getting blood in a reasonable timeframe is pretty brutal and unless you are doing it on alts too
If I had things to do over I probably would have held off upgrading my barracks to rank 2. The body guard thing is cute but not necessary and I think getting the garrison to rank 3 is probably an overall better use for that thousand GR early on to maximize the buildings you have up and active.

Vitality

HUSTLE
So first session of pooper profits this morning: at 10kg on the phone, mostly enchants and glyphs.

Gonna buy up all the 1 off herbs under 5g and relist in bulk and see how that does. The app is real good about bulk one off purchasing.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
Is there a way to force this? I seem to get herb work orders every few days.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Well you get 14 work order limit at tp 2 with no storehouse - so you can technically get a bit over 2 days out of a fully stacked up leather set. Maybe I've just been getting lucky, yesterday was herbs so I just let the leather ride without refilling the WO queue. Will post results today.

I'd love it if it cycled between harvest types but I doubt it's cool enough to do that.

As a point of reference converting herbs to GR via trade post work orders costs roughly 3x - 3.5x more than ore or fur. On my server at least.

Not only that but you cut into your inscription darkmoon card daily work orders for war paint and a few other things that make herbs super valuable as gold multipliers.

Edit: flavor

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I learned to tank in vanilla, when there was no LFG and you met people at the dungeon and they were all from your server. There was a panic because if you fucked up, people remembered you. At 60 when you were looking for a raiding guild you didn't want to get turned down because you couldn't hold aggro in deadmines.

And thunderclap wasn't shit back then. I had to tab-sunder to my heart's content and also mark mobs.

Now it's easy mode bros

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
As a rogue (with max first aid and a fetish for fishing), I fucking love it. I keep waffling between tele-ambush and shadowstep, but COS/Feint/Evasion/Combat Readiness for avoidance and Recuperate for self-heal, I take the least amount of healing (generally). The big toss-up is do I get cheat-death for avoidance, elusiveness for on demand-mitigation, or leeching poison for more self-healing.
I use cheat death and it saves me at least once per dungeon. Sometimes you miss an AoE and that shit can def one shot you. Maybe you are better at using your mitigation CD's (I forget sometimes tbh, and suck at feint) but I'm generally the last one standing if the tank/healer dies and I can sometimes tank the last couple % on a boss in a near wipe situation. YMMV

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I learned to tank in vanilla, when there was no LFG and you met people at the dungeon and they were all from your server. There was a panic because if you fucked up, people remembered you. At 60 when you were looking for a raiding guild you didn't want to get turned down because you couldn't hold aggro in deadmines.

And thunderclap wasn't shit back then. I had to tab-sunder to my heart's content and also mark mobs.

Now it's easy mode bros
Ahh... back when I went resto on my shaman and could still melt fucking faces with windfury procs. Vanilla shaman is one of my fav classes in any game.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm enjoying tanking in the new dungeons so far. I was a warrior tank prior to WoD, and I found myself rarely using a lot of my cool downs. Now, as a druid tank, I'm pretty much constantly cycling through my 1, 2 and 3 minute cool downs and trying to use them strategically based on what I know is about to come at me damage-wise. Maybe that's just a difference between a druid and a warrior, but whatever the reason, I'm liking the more active play style.

I've had a few healers comment on me using cool downs and active mitigation abilities. I guess there are still a lot of tanks that are playing very passively and ignoring all those abilities.

addlemixie

Lord Nagafen Raider
I will definitely agree with the people taking way too much damage in heroics. I play mostly as ww but have ended up playing bm just because no one tanks, and I cant understand how so many people can just stand in green shit. Or ground dust effects. Or let growing red circles continue to grow.

DPS also tend to focus solely on big numbers rather than helping out with survivability. I can't remember seeing, outside of guild groups or when I'm put into a guild group, Dps helping to interrupt, or stun in any way during big damage. Heck, half of the Dps I've pugged with just stand on the platform during the first boss in ubrs when he is electrified and expect to get healed through that.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I enjoy the fact that you actually need to use active mitigation on anything more than 2-3 mobs-hell even the bird boss in skyreach requires you to as a tank or you'll get armor penned to death.

I did notice that warlocks and warriors are pretty much full on useless in any heroic group i've been in so far. By far the worst dps classes i've seen so far