World of Warcraft: Current Year

DavivMcD

Peasant
I made a rogue bot good enough that my character went on raids while I was out. It was kind of amusing programming it, looked for keywords like 'door' and checked for locked doors in the vicinity, followed the raid leader around like a good little sheep, dragged all the corpses back to safe points after wipes etc.

Started off mostly so I could keep backstabbing while chatting with people, not having constant keyboard spam made EQ a lot more social than WoW is - anyone who manages to type a sentence longer than 'hi' is obviously slacking off.
I used to just sneak+hide in a corner and afk for hours. A few groups kicked me in short order but most just never noticed. The best indicator for a group to tell if I was there or not was if the mobs strangely stopped dropping any plat or gems, I was probably playing.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
I made a few bot accounts over the years, never on my main account because it was too valuable to lose.

Half the fun was setting it up, editing the rotations to be better (the default ones were mostly terrible), and just tinker with and watch it go! As for asking why people pay to have something play the game for you ... I mean, after 10 level 80s or something (at the time), the levelling process really does get tedious and wearing, something I think even blizzard acknowledge by giving you a level 90 in exchange for RL money. I thought of using the bot as something like hiring a maid to do the boring chores I didn't have time for. Got banned twice, once was with the big ban wave and I didn't appeal. The second I was completely sure it was automated detection, there was absolutely no way someone reported me and there was no server side detection, so I just kept pushing the point I was innocent and they overturned it, played the last few levels by hand and kept the account legit from then on.

On the other side of the coin, I've definitely played against auto-kickers at very high ratings in arena and it was immensely frustrating, I actually found it near on possible to fake cast on my warlock recently. Didn't know there were automated raid rotations, will be interesting seeing if any guildies take an extended leave of absence
smile.png

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Didn't know there were automated raid rotations, will be interesting seeing if any guildies take an extended leave of absence
smile.png
I'd say a vast majority of the people using HB were using it for this. Just speculation, but considering how many paid rotations were up in the Buddy Store, it would make sense. It would depend on the class, but at most a few hotkeys had to be made to manually cast certain abilities, but if you did that you could easily hit 90+ percentile on Warcraft logs. And plenty were using them and pushing the limits in Mythic raiding. I got a kick out of the success story section, where at least one guy posted that he was about to get kicked from the A team raids until he found HB, and then he jumped up so much, he had to figure out an excuse to tell his raid leader as to why he improved so much. haha!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Tons of people were also using Honorbuddy for the Garrison Butler app. Could log your toons in and do everything in your garrison for your entire account.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man whole little world I didn't even know existed ;P Makes you wonder all those times someone bragged about their numbers, and if they were doing it legitimately.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Man whole little world I didn't even know existed ;P Makes you wonder all those times someone bragged about their numbers, and if they were doing it legitimately.
That's something I could never do. Bot to get high numbers? Sure. Brag about getting high numbers? Of course. Bot AND brag about my high numbers? I have waaay too much shame for that.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I did notice, even in craptacular LFR (yay finally finished the damn legendary steps) that there were many more people mouth breathing than usual. They weren't standing in fire, but no one was getting healed and no damage was being output.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I hate when people say 6 month ban and not suspension
Meh, when I was suspended in Warhammer Online for shouting in GM yellow text during a zone-wide exploited event, the GMs called it a 3 day 'ban', but yeah ban sounds permanent!

/I shouted "I'm not a GM, but if I was I would be disappointed in you exploiters!"
//Still banned/suspended for impersonating a GM o_O

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
But a full on rotation bot is for people who are so jaded with the game that they have more fun editing a script than mashing the buttons themselves. Which was basically how I spent my last stint in Everquest. Also, shittons of PVP bots and gold farmers.
I wouldnt say Im jaded and I wouldnt exactly describe it as a "script."

Boy you sure paint a nice picture, but that was hardly the reality. Maybe the hours of free time and wiping was true, but a good core of members in top guilds exploited, used showEQ, shared accounts and used macros if not full on botted.
Pretty spot on. Did any of you really think that a Warrior sitting in Fear camping Draco was legit? Or how all of the guild officers had Pegasus Cloaks and Jboots? Dedication to the game? Sure, but dont kid yourself. Project 99 at the top tier was a perfect copy of early EverQuest.

they have moved on to final fantasy so be prepared for that game to get ruined next!
Rebornbuddy has been around for a while now. Little late.

-- Ban Waves happen, and have been happening for quite some time in WoW. Its partially the HB Dev teams fault, but you cant hold them accountable. You are cheating in a game after all. But seriously, if a person isnt negatively impacting your playtime when you're playing the game with them, then its hardly worth bitching about. Im not a fan of people using combat routines in PVP, full on botting and joining a dungeon or raid group or full on botting pvp. But there are a few people that have legit problems and HB helped them play and now they cant play at all or are very limited. Id rather do a dungeon or a raid with someone that is perfect rather than the guy with severe arthritis holding me the fuck up, for example. The same can be said for your friends that are just down right terrible. If I want to keep playing with my friends, they can either get HB and be better or the rest of the group has to play at the level of their weakest player.

You can pretty much tell who was botting without any key factors when they mysteriously sucked right after a patch, like clock work. But I dont play WoW anymore and my accounts still valid, so I guess it worked out in my favor to quit the game a few months ago. Oh, and I still stand by my reason for botting.I like to fucking talk in my MMO instead of worrying about being the top 1% epeen.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wow I never thought I'd read of someone botting because of a medical issue. I don't care if people bot and it doesn't affect me but I fucking hate people that talk during boss fights that are not important people and are just bullshitting around. Unless it's easy farm stuff, nothing infuriated me more.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I wouldnt say Im jaded and I wouldnt exactly describe it as a "script."

Pretty spot on. Did any of you really think that a Warrior sitting in Fear camping Draco was legit? Or how all of the guild officers had Pegasus Cloaks and Jboots? Dedication to the game? Sure, but dont kid yourself. Project 99 at the top tier was a perfect copy of early EverQuest.

Rebornbuddy has been around for a while now. Little late.

-- Ban Waves happen, and have been happening for quite some time in WoW. Its partially the HB Dev teams fault, but you cant hold them accountable. You are cheating in a game after all. But seriously, if a person isnt negatively impacting your playtime when you're playing the game with them, then its hardly worth bitching about. Im not a fan of people using combat routines in PVP, full on botting and joining a dungeon or raid group or full on botting pvp. But there are a few people that have legit problems and HB helped them play and now they cant play at all or are very limited. Id rather do a dungeon or a raid with someone that is perfect rather than the guy with severe arthritis holding me the fuck up, for example. The same can be said for your friends that are just down right terrible. If I want to keep playing with my friends, they can either get HB and be better or the rest of the group has to play at the level of their weakest player.

You can pretty much tell who was botting without any key factors when they mysteriously sucked right after a patch, like clock work. But I dont play WoW anymore and my accounts still valid, so I guess it worked out in my favor to quit the game a few months ago. Oh, and I still stand by my reason for botting.I like to fucking talk in my MMO instead of worrying about being the top 1% epeen.
it has but, if you have used either bot you would know how much shittier it is than HB, because its not as big so you have less experienced people writing the scripts.

HB had an entire paid store set up because thats how refined these scripts were, rebornbuddy isnt even close people are basically happy and praying that the WoW script kiddies come over to Reborn buddy so they can reap the same benefits with those advanced scripts so no trust me be prepared for an increase of bots, and the amount they can do.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
it has but, if you have used either bot you would know how much shittier it is than HB, because its not as big so you have less experienced people writing the scripts.

HB had an entire paid store set up because thats how refined these scripts were, rebornbuddy isnt even close people are basically happy and praying that the WoW script kiddies come over to Reborn buddy so they can reap the same benefits with those advanced scripts so no trust me be prepared for an increase of bots, and the amount they can do.
lol I think my experience with Reborn Buddy and Honor Buddy are good enough. But Ill try to keep what you're saying in mind if I ever decide to do anything with Reborn Buddy again.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
lol I think my experience with Reborn Buddy and Honor Buddy are good enough. But Ill try to keep what you're saying in mind if I ever decide to do anything with Reborn Buddy again.
i mean, if you have recently used HB and the free/paid scripts they have out and seen what they can do (combat routines, running LFR afk/heroics afk including full loot everything) the combat routines allowed you to easily hit 99% uptime on whatever you were playing putting out max dps even with the free scripts and an "unperfect" routine compared to the paid ones you easily pulled 30-35k dps without full optimization and 50-60k HPS, it was a little bit unreal how much time these people put into scripts they even had combat routines for arena where it had a set rotation to blow someone up in a 2s dps team, or just using a heal routine for a healer so all you have to focus on is moving around, and you can see various screenshots of people that have bought them posting their arena ratings hitting like 2.2k using a script.

i personally dont even have experience with RB all i have to do is read the forums and saw this 1 comment "nice i hope the guys writing the scripts for WoW come over here for 6 months so we get some half decent profiles" HB is insanely refined even the basic free scripts it comes with / are provided by the community.

any big game is gonna have a hard time dealing with thebuddy crew at this point because if anything catches like WoW, like i said there are some really smart guys throwing out profiles for 10$ and people eat them up, and there was over how many HB keys sold/accounts banned bassically? over 100k? thats alot of money to be made if its a game as popular as WoW for these guys., and they take full advantage.

archeage is probably their next best bot because of how big the game is, the demand is there for scripts and people eat them up at 10$ pop again, D3 is a relatively good bot for not having a dedicated scene making scripts for cash.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
The answer will be to make game that require 1 button to dps/heal/tank and you can set it on autocast. So we can watch TV instead of playing. Fuck, I hope not.

I just hope botters will keep getting banned, bot providers will be eventually sued and cheaters will be thrown out of the game. Why? Because I think they are detrimental to the game.
If they would do ban-waves every 30 days, you'd probably have no bots, but those are "valued paying customers" too, right? So yeah, bots are here to stay sadly and every now and then they'll have to eat shit and restart, but after all who cares? They aren't really playing. Le sigh.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
The answer will be to make game that require 1 button to dps/heal/tank and you can set it on autocast. So we can watch TV instead of playing. Fuck, I hope not.

I just hope botters will keep getting banned, bot providers will be eventually sued and cheaters will be thrown out of the game. Why? Because I think they are detrimental to the game.
If they would do ban-waves every 30 days, you'd probably have no bots, but those are "valued paying customers" too, right? So yeah, bots are here to stay sadly and every now and then they'll have to eat shit and restart, but after all who cares? They aren't really playing. Le sigh.
at least you have the right mindset and are willing to accept it :p because yeah this is never going away, and any game close to WoWs popularity will have a bot going FFS they even have world of tanks buddy.

its not just bots either, well never see the end of days in FPS hacking and the likes, because well they have caught on to making a service thats undetectable and are charging for it, name a game i gaurantee you there is a paid hack out there that wont get you banned, unless you're extremely obvious about it.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

You seem to not understand what most of the botters are. They aren't the people using combat routines. They buy a bunch of battle chests when they are on sale and bot the characters up while on the free month and liquidate all the gold and sell it. Monthly ban waves aren't going to stop them. They usually get banned before the month is up from getting flagged in the system for playing 24/7. The only way to eliminate them right away is to actually hire people to watch the game with the GM tools. This is the first time they have detected HonorBuddy and it was only for a period for little over a week. They have the resources to stop it, they just aren't willing to spend the money to do it.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
You seem to not understand what most of the botters are. They aren't the people using combat routines. They buy a bunch of battle chests when they are on sale and bot the characters up while on the free month and liquidate all the gold and sell it. Monthly ban waves aren't going to stop them. They usually get banned before the month is up from getting flagged in the system for playing 24/7. The only way to eliminate them right away is to actually hire people to watch the game with the GM tools. This is the first time they have detected HonorBuddy and it was only for a period for little over a week. They have the resources to stop it, they just aren't willing to spend the money to do it.
So you're saying they only detected honorbuddy during a week period? are you saying that if you didnt bot in that week you're safe? because there seems to be very few stories where people werent banned, you had 10 year old accounts claiming to only have used glider, 10 year old accounts that say they stopped during Mop, or WOTLK etc.

it seems more likely they had a way to collect a broad set of data overtime, because i just recently came back so that "weeK" would have to have been in the last 2 months(and i only botted my hunter last month) because thats how long i have been back on a FRESH account no traces of botting before etc.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So you're saying they only detected honorbuddy during a week period? are you saying that if you didnt bot in that week you're safe? because there seems to be very few stories where people werent banned, you had 10 year old accounts claiming to only have used glider, 10 year old accounts that say they stopped during Mop, or WOTLK etc.

it seems more likely they had a way to collect a broad set of data overtime, because i just recently came back so that "weeK" would have to have been in the last 2 months(and i only botted my hunter last month) because thats how long i have been back on a FRESH account no traces of botting before etc.
It's anecdotal evidence but I know someone who hadn't played in a week and wasn't banned. He bots like crazy but was on vacation. Others who just do it for garrison got caught. It also might have been during the tripwire event around a month ago when half the damn servers Dc'd lol. They also caught a lot of people who used coolfish. Also what I'm reading is they have some pretty good proof and haven't reversed any bans which points to detection and not a pattern that would flag.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
It's anecdotal evidence but I know someone who hadn't played in a week and wasn't banned. He bots like crazy but was on vacation. Others who just do it for garrison got caught. It also might have been during the tripwire event around a month ago when half the damn servers Dc'd lol. They also caught a lot of people who used coolfish. Also what I'm reading is they have some pretty good proof and haven't reversed any bans which points to detection and not a pattern that would flag.
yeah they have already stated openly that they will not be reversing any bans under any circumstances (i guess unless someone really tries to sue them? they would just give in and give the account back?) they have pretty concrete proof of wrong doing in some form for them to say that.

idk i feel like they have been collecting data ever since the glider days / when honorbuddy was free, and however / whatever they did to compile all this and drop such a big ban hammer, sure it hurts the buddy guys for a bit because all those people may think twice about using the bot again, but then this also gives them the oppurtunity to now take their defense and ways to stay un-detected to another level that should take blizzard another couple years to dig in and lay down the smack like this again.

And i think alot more people were using combat routines than most think, but yeah the majority of the money making off bots was due to boosting as much as you could on a cheap box set, market the account as having X many 100s, and liquidate all the gold, also there is quite a bit of gold made off the garrison so if you figure they max out each character to 100 and bare minimum just make a treasure hunting team god could you imagine how much a fully slotted bot account could make off garrisons?