World of Warcraft: Current Year

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
I actually think we'll get a release date that is in Q1. It'll still surprise me but if they want to not be lying whores like always, they'll deliver

If not Q1 it will say something vague like "summer 2016" which will mean 29th August

What else is there to announce?

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm guessing early Q2 like late April. Q1 is going to be extremely hard to hit with beta not starting until December at the earliest.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Maybe they'll have a Diablo-3 style beta and all you can do is play through the first leveling zone.
wink.png

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So for Blizzcon, I think we are given a lot more details about class/spec changes, unveil at least one or two new systems that will be in Legion, and beta start date is announced. At Gamecon every dev said their personal favorite new systems weren't announced yet. Hopefully Legion will breath new life into WoW and not be more of the same.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
More of the same is about the only thing anyone should expect from the full feature announcement. They love their one-off experiments, but at the end of the day the guy who played WoW 11 years ago will quickly feel right at home - by design.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Do you think they'll do gated/timed flying mount roll out for the next expansion? I've never played an expansion where you could fly from the get-go so I'm not sure if it was considered a success or a failure.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
When they did the interview circuit after the announce at Gamescom they said that they would handle flying in Legion the same way they did in WoD.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
That was their general feeling too. They wanted flying in sooner but when they put it on the PTR they found out that the load balancing solution they implemented during WoD's launch fucked a lot of stuff up. When you crossed zone boundaries sometimes you'd get dismounted and/or disconnected with your character stuck in the world (wouldn't let you back on) for a couple hours. All the casuals called it a conspiracy, but they really didn't want those kinds of problems on the live servers.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Didn't they originally plan to NEVER give flying in WoD? I thought that was the reason it took them so long to implement it. That was stupid. I love not having flying immediately in an expansion, but hopefully they build it into Legion so that it's literally just a flip of a switch for them to activate it, or even start with the achievements/requirements all set up so you can work towards it right away.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Does anyone really think that Wrath of the Lich King had the most subs because of nostalgia? or the fact it was only FIVE years old? Something was right about how shit was set up in that time period. Ive played each expansion and had more fun during that expansion than any other.
Hmm.

An expansion set on a frozen continent, with powerful clans of Viking Giants raiding out of their castle-city, a city of icy dwarves loosely related to the PC dwarves, and dragons of many colours with both a temple-city and necropoli. Ancient wardens imprison a mighty god-beast beneath the earth which would threaten the end of the world if it was ever released. A mystical ore related to a powerful being threads through the very bones of the earth like veins, an avatar of a Nature Goddess watches over an out-of-place jungle in a hidden valley, and a friendly tribe of animal-men eke out a living fishing the coasts.

Nope, can't see why that would have any nostalgia.
smile.png

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Didn't they originally plan to NEVER give flying in WoD? I thought that was the reason it took them so long to implement it. That was stupid. I love not having flying immediately in an expansion, but hopefully they build it into Legion so that it's literally just a flip of a switch for them to activate it, or even start with the achievements/requirements all set up so you can work towards it right away.
It was designed from the start to have flying but at some point in development they changed their minds and didn't finish up some stuff and had invisible walls and stuff. It was promised in a later patch that was supposed to by 6.2 IIRC. They changed their minds again and said no flying evah! and people lost their fucking minds and I think Blizz recieved quite a few cancelations which prompted another change of heart and the system they have now.

I personally think flying should be in game from day one but something you need to unlock. I understand not wanting to trivialize content by just flying over everything, most people give zero fucks about that when leveling up alts.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Correct, the devs never intended to allow flying in WoD because reasons. The players spoke out so loudly against that policy the devs changed their minds. The problem was the content was not completely designed for flying and fixing things as previously mentioned took a long time on top of the delay while the devs insisted on no flying.

The devs have said they will handle the unlocking of flying in Legion similar to WoD. Everybody assumes that process will be available at launch but nobody knows for sure yet.

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
They gave a similar date for WoD...on or before the last day of Fall 2014 (12-21-14 iirc). So we're looking at Summer 2016 if it follows a similar pattern...which is way too fucking long. I just can't see them having HFC last more than a year, so either that date is just super conservative or they have to have something else up their sleeve.