World of Warcraft: Current Year

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This has nothing to do with the quality of WoW or the quality of other games... Honestly, plenty of "better" games have come along since, but players have too much equity in WoW to leave. Even for a better service.

It's the Facebook syndrome vs. Google plus. Facebook is shit, many better things exist, but users can't leave because that's not where their content is.
In this case, I really don't think there have been better ones. Many have an idea or two that are really good but the game as a whole is bad or a failure. The only other successful ones hit more niche like EVE and really embrace that niche.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Certainly hasn't been a better well rounded MMO since WoW, and Blizzard is doing its best job of handing over the throne. Genre blows.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There simply has to be a point when their momentum isnt enough any more to stop the downward spiral. With patch 6.2 and no new expansion announced that point cant be far... But if you look at the success of Hearthstone/HoTS, they maybe dont care for WoW any more. Cancelling Titan and announcing Overwatch (Online team-shooter, ugh
frown.png
) instead was a sad day. If one company has the money and skills to do a new AAA MMO it would be Blizzard (at least the old Blizzard), they simply dont care any more, fast money for "facebook games" is the way for them it seems.

Edit: And they should fire Metzen so someone competent could develop a good storyline...

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I still have hope that EQN wont be a total fuckin flop. Since UO only EQ EQ2 and WoW have kept me longer than a year with DAoC being the notable mention. Blizzard makes good games, regardless of what genre it may be in. I think Overwatch will be pretty fuckin awesome really.

Tauro

Warcraft/WoW, Diablo, Starcraft = Old Blizz
Hearthstone, HotS, Overwatch = New Blizz
I dont care for new Blizz, at all... they are successful and thats great for them, just not my cup of tea.

I still hope they do a traditional MMO in the Starcraft universe, no fancy crossover, all mashed together, stuff like Titan, just a good MMO.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
In this case, I really don't think there have been better ones. Many have an idea or two that are really good but the game as a whole is bad or a failure. The only other successful ones hit more niche like EVE and really embrace that niche.
Well, that's just it; how do we define "better"? Is it more features? More content? Different systems?

I guess I'd posit that the games that have "failed" have done so because even the tiniest of bugs or balance issues or rough systems are treated by players as insurmountable problems. WoW wasn't looked at with that critical eye when it launched because it was measurably better on every level than the competition. If players try these new games at all, it's under the premise they can just go back to WoW, and most of them are looking for a way to justify doing that, because they really don't want to let go of their equity.

Of course, that's not everyone, but that's been the pattern I'd say generally since about 2007 when the WoW competitors truly started to hit. And each year, it does become less and less of a factor, with WoW having even larger drops in subscribers who return for shorter periods of time.

But even then, are these players going to a new game or doing nothing at all? Seems like the latter, even though there are some great options out there.

WoW is at a point in its product lifecycle where it's definitely dated; mechanically, visually and so on. But because of the nature of the beast, it's hard to leave it behind -- but not for the right reasons. Players will continue to play it in spite of the amount of fun they have because of their equity; progression, habit, and friends.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I get what you saying and you might be right but I don't think their "equity" in WoW has much of anything to do with it. The reason so many WoW players have jumped on new MMOs to only come back isn't because of this notion of equity (how much they have invested from a time, money, emotion, relationships, and resources in general appears to be your definition) but because they are looking for an excuse to leave but nobody can give them one. And while games are under a brighter microscope because of WoW, that isn't the reason no game has been truly successful. They just aren't well rounded good games. There is something about WoW that just feels right, the way you interact with your character, the smoothness and responsiveness that no other game has really matched. Also, there has been little to no innovation. SWOTOR is a pure WoW clone right down to the battlegrounds. It did not bring anything new other than a more involved leveling narrative, which WoW copied as only Blizz can. That is the biggest issue. Blizz took the EQ model and more or less perfected it. It is basically impossible to surpass WoW with a traditional model, there needs to be innovation. I don't know what that looks like but I do know we haven't seen true innovation yet.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
It is basically impossible to surpass WoW with a traditional model, there needs to be innovation. I don't know what that looks like but I do know we haven't seen true innovation yet.
This ties neatly into another thread for a game that's early in development: Revival. I think there is real innovation going on there.

But I wonder even in a case like that, is the equity players have in WoW and other games too strong? Do players really leave a game for 'features' in another? And do they give it enough of a chance?

The trick is to somehow give those players 'experiences' that they cannot get in their previous game(s); so far games really haven't done that but I think is the key to retaining "switchers".

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Blizzard wins on simplicity. They make the game easy to play and rejoin. Equity isn't so much of a draw as familiarity. People keep coming back because they know it doesn't hurt that much to do it.

Tauro

A lot of people (like millions) start to treat WoW expansions as stand alone games it seems. Buy it, play 2-3 month, leave. Maybe sub again for one month to defeat the big boss from the final patch. Wait for expansion. Repeat.

The die-hard/lazy fans wont leave whatever Blizz does. Blizz is ok with that, it pays their day-to-day costs. Looks good enough to make a lot of money for the next couple of years (especially if they can put out yearly expansions)...

velk

Trakanon Raider
I guess I'd posit that the games that have "failed" have done so because even the tiniest of bugs or balance issues or rough systems are treated by players as insurmountable problems.
You'd need to provide some examples to back that up, and also provide an alternative theory for why people who are not subscribed to WoW, and never have been, quit those games and then do not go back to WoW.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Like Foggy said, I don't like the current version of WoW anywhere near what I did in vanilla, but even now the game just clicks. It just has a smoothness to it that any other mmo out there hasn't. There have been multiple games that had features and additional ideas that I really liked, but the engines were either absolutely shit or the game just didn't keep my attention past the initial start. Haven't played GW2, but it kinda seemed to have a level of smoothness to it, seemed as if the game maybe just "worked/clicked". Know the end game apparently is what hurt it.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
WoW is an amazing game, but it lost the MMO aspect over the years, one step a time. Now it's a lobby game where you queue with quasi-bots (actually, real bots would be better sometimes), except for that "hard mode" that 99% of the people don't give a fuck about. So yeah, random_game_003.

I played through Cataclysm and MoP with small breaks that were non-game related. In WoD I was done in 2 months, with fuck all to do, not even dailies. The story sucked dicks left and right, but a couple zones were well done. Then we got Highmaul and I believe some people are still vomiting at the thought. We lost half our guild because of that boring zone (and nothing else worth doing) and we were super casuals.
All I could do was raid or click more shit in that shit-stained shit-garrison shit. So I said fuck garrisons and I went to play FFXIV, which is a bit more MMO-like (still) and less facebook-like.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is a shame they waited so long to come out with Tanaan. It is the most social WoW has been in a while.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Too bad social also has to be mind numbingly repetitive and boring.

The two really do have a habit of going hand-in-hand.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just....the shipyard is so fucking bad. I don't know how the fuck that got the green light. Shoehorning the fucking legendary into it just pisses me off. Some of my guildies have been finished for a week now (sea chart) and I still haven't seen the mission even pop up, let alone just thrown ships at it until it completes.