World of Warcraft: Current Year

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I imagine nothing will happen. They can't remove it from the game as its directly tied to the progression of the expansion. It's not too hard to remove all the treasure hunter/missions though.
They are basically getting rid of the big cash avalanch that comes from the garrison but I imagine all the other rewards stick around. With the new expansion they are either leveling up gear for alts or transmog bait so have no real impact or detriment to the game. Getting 40k gold every couple weeks is a different matter.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
What do the new salvage yard sacks/crates drop? Just soulbound gear?
That is a good question I think they said they were changing it so they were not dropping a lot of the transmog stuff but I assume your class specific soul bound stuff + weapon+armor mods are what will be dropping there.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Transmog gear gonna get even more expensive. Everyone who is hoarding those crates right now has the right idea.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When talking about transmog gear, are we talking about epic/purple or common/green? I have seen tons of common gear but have yet to find an epic piece of transmog and I have opened many many crates.

Khane

I never got into transmog.

I felt that was for idiots.
I have never transmogged a single piece of gear. However, you can make hundreds of thousands of gold on transmog gear.

For instance, back in the day I used to create level 1 characters on many different servers just to /who to check populations and talk to high end guild leaders to decide which server I might want to make a character on. As a result I have a ton of unused characters that still have their old pre-4.0 starter shirts (Brawler's Harness, Thug Shirts, Initiate's Shirts, Warden's Vests, etc)

Each of those stupid white starter shirts are no longer available and sell for 40k-100k+ a piece. A lot of old common gear sells for 10k+. It often takes a little while to sell but they do eventually sell.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When talking about transmog gear, are we talking about epic/purple or common/green? I have seen tons of common gear but have yet to find an epic piece of transmog and I have opened many many crates.
The salvage yard transmog gear is the blue gear that is class specific.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
A ton of the casual players in my guild were balls deep on Transmog collecting. Different strokes for different folks. I personally preferred the way it was pre-x-mog. Putting up with some fuckin derpy looking sets was worth it for having gear be an actually recognizeable measure of achievement, to my personal tastes.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Transmog gear gonna get even more expensive. Everyone who is hoarding those crates right now has the right idea.
I have been hordeing them for a few months now simply because I don't have inventory space/bank space to shit all the stuff out. I figure I will have an opening frenzy during the prepatch launch thing once the new wardrobe system goes live use all the ones I can and then sell dupes or stuff once I get the appearance unlocked. There are some really nice weapon models in there including some really nice bows so should be interesting to see what the hundreds of boxes give me once I start my cleansing fury!

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I never got into transmog.

I felt that was for idiots.
I don't transmog much but once in a while some of your set armor pieces are so fucking goofy looking I just have to. Such as the leather PVP armor on a worgen druid that makes it look like you skinned and are wearing your dad. It is really damn weird looking.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
There are a few epic transmog pieces but if you actually look at the blue/green stuff that the boxes spit out a lot of those have unique or rare appearances and if you check the AH some of them sell for disturbing amounts of cash and that will likely go up fast as no more enter the system.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
On 10 characters, I got an epic about every 1.5/2 weeks on average. But I wasn't fishing for crates, just doing useful missions and leaving the followers idle if nothing but XP remained. Blue is a lot more common.

Thing is, there are relatively few pieces of BOE epic, so you tend to get them very very rarely.

DavivMcD

Peasant
Ha, watch Blizzard give everyone a starting baseline of transmog appearances that includes all green gear, like they do in Diablo (white+blue+yellow in that case). Fuck your transmog market.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
How does the transmog stuff work? I haven't really looked into it, but I got a really cool weapon from a Grove Warden run that I'd like to keep the appearance of even if I get something with better stats next expansion. Is that possible or is it only certain styles that can be kept?

Khane

How does the transmog stuff work? I haven't really looked into it, but I got a really cool weapon from a Grove Warden run that I'd like to keep the appearance of even if I get something with better stats next expansion. Is that possible or is it only certain styles that can be kept?
It has to be the same weapon wield type (meaning 2h can't be mogged into 1h) among a few other things:

[Guide] How to Transmogrify - Forums - World of Warcraft

I think that's mostly still accurate but am not entirely sure.