World of Warcraft: Current Year

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I remember a few expansions ago listening to a hunter podcast where they talked about how awesome it was to pet tank current tier raids. Of course you needed a fucking amazing hunter, and a very good (and willing) guild, but I always enjoy it when people push games to the limit in this way.

But speaking as a hunter myself, do you seriously.. SERIOUSLY.. want your average huntard to be able to queue for the tank slot in LFG and LFR? Yeah, thought not :D

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I remember a few expansions ago listening to a hunter podcast where they talked about how awesome it was to pet tank current tier raids. Of course you needed a fucking amazing hunter, and a very good (and willing) guild, but I always enjoy it when people push games to the limit in this way.

But speaking as a hunter myself, do you seriously.. SERIOUSLY.. want your average huntard to be able to queue for the tank slot in LFG and LFR? Yeah, thought not :D

Could it be any/much worse than the average Azralon/Ragnaros/<insert other BR realm> player that already end up as the tank in these queues anyway?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It is really odd, to me anyway, that so many years after launch there are still 4 classes (Mage, Warlock, Rogue, Hunter) that support only one role while others (Monk, Druid) support all three. I would have thought by now that they'd come up with some variant for Mage and Warlock that allowed for healing and for Rogue and Hunter that allowed tanking.
No thank you

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
It is really odd, to me anyway, that so many years after launch there are still 4 classes (Mage, Warlock, Rogue, Hunter) that support only one role while others (Monk, Druid) support all three. I would have thought by now that they'd come up with some variant for Mage and Warlock that allowed for healing and for Rogue and Hunter that allowed tanking.

I think the pure's are essential really. Its nice to have some classes that will almost always be guaranteed a spot in a raid for just dpsing. I've been a hybrid player since BC and the number of times that I was forced to tank or heal because my one or two dps specs parsed like balls was pretty damn high.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I always hopped they'd have made a melee/ranged spec for each of the pures.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Like, a hybrid melee/ranged spec? Yes Plz

Or, perhaps just a battle spell slinging melee spec (Mage preferrably, demon hunter stole that from lock probably. But morphing destro or adding a 4th spec that uses destro style with melee might work) and make that stupid outlaw spec be a gun toting badass?

I'd be cool with that. So very hard with that

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd be cool with pirate tank and survival tank. You could also do a lot with healing classes. Warlock heals could be like disc where heals are done through damage, and mage heal could be based around time warping and ramp up so the more intense healing gets the better they heal or something. I'm all for giving the pure specs a piece of the hybrid pie.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
What made me think of that was the above breakdown which shows that some of the pure specs are significantly weaker than the hybrids. I empathize with the hybrid who is forced to heal or tank because their DPS isn't good enough... but what about the pure DPS whose dps isn't good enough on a particular fight? Probably better to be asked to heal than be asked to sit out.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider

Back in the days I tanked Ulduar 10 for fun with my guild using my hunter pet. I think we got to Hodir, but can't remember at all if we killed it or not. It wasn't particularly difficult, you just had to find a lot of gear for the hunter with stamina, because the pet scaled from the player character.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
What made me think of that was the above breakdown which shows that some of the pure specs are significantly weaker than the hybrids. I empathize with the hybrid who is forced to heal or tank because their DPS isn't good enough... but what about the pure DPS whose dps isn't good enough on a particular fight? Probably better to be asked to heal than be asked to sit out.

I'd wager that at least one of the pure specs dps options was good enough to have a spot on the raid team. If not, then it probably wasn't for long.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Shit, druid has 4 now. At least hunter has a melee option, but beast master should really be a tank. And demonology, too. Frost mage tank would make sense, too, since that's what frost is in the DC Universe Online, but that was a mostly melee class. Not sure I can get behind a Rogue tank, but definitely a ranged Rogue...

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

Pets being immune to aoe's were pretty intense tanks there for a hot minute.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shit, druid has 4 now. At least hunter has a melee option, but beast master should really be a tank. And demonology, too. Frost mage tank would make sense, too, since that's what frost is in the DC Universe Online, but that was a mostly melee class. Not sure I can get behind a Rogue tank, but definitely a ranged Rogue...

I think a pirate rogue makes sense more so than any of the others, besides demon tank. They can "taunt" mobs to attack them through pirate slander and are agile enough to evade enemy attacks. Of course we all know how well avoidance tanking works out.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think a pirate rogue makes sense more so than any of the others, besides demon tank. They can "taunt" mobs to attack them through pirate slander and are agile enough to evade enemy attacks. Of course we all know how well avoidance tanking works out.
Ffxi had a true evasion tank - the ninja. Funnily enough it was supposed to get a dps class but the players defined it's role themselves. I don't think the devs ever embraced it

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

If evasion wasn't percentage based, and instead had cutoffs like haste, "avoid every 3rd attack until you have X avoidance, then avoid every 2nd attack". Or make it crazy convoluted like Blizzard likes to do, every third avoidance, avoid another attack, except on the fifth Sunday of the year, then every second avoidance takes half damage, while also reducing the damage of the next five attacks, and returns mana to your priests".... God, I sound like a developer.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Back in Vanilla and BC I knew a rogue player who was insanely good at his class. He would often tank lvl60 dungeons for us if no "popper" tanks could be found. Did it through evasion and agility mostly.