World of Warcraft: Current Year

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Your first argunites purchases as an alt should be 3 relics for your weapon.

Yeah I'd spend the first 3 on relics and then just gamble for trinkets after that.

also re: first aid, it used to be pretty nice to have as a non-healing class (mage) up until Cata or so. In WoD and Legion it's been utterly useless, I mean what the fuck is this I have 5 million HP:

CdfBPIf.jpg

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Obviously that's for healing NPCs when you're doing the real end game content, x-mog, pet, and mount bottom-feeding.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I was just thinking how much Legion ruined WoW for me. It was really the first time I outright hated the game and was happy to have an entire guild call it quits in the first tier.

It doesn't look like they fixed any of it, just said "yeah we fucked up, we'll dump it all in a year. Here's a free week trial!" Uh, no thanks?

I think the only winners in this expansion were people playing classes that only have one spec for their role. "One sec, changing two talents"

Maybe if I had stayed hunter, played only BM, and removed recount?

So many awful decisions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Legion might be my favorite expansion ever. The only.mistake was during the first tier artifacts were an issue. They kind of fixed that with BLP but if you played in to tier two you were fine.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I would say that outside of the raid game Legion was a "good" expansion. It was very buggy but they added a lot of nice QoL changes outside of raiding. Scaling is good, shared nodes/quest item tagging is good, Mythic+ is good (though they've been doing their best to make it worse in every patch). Raiding in Legion was the worst I think I've ever experienced from a standpoint of the original implementation of Artifact Knowledge and especially Legendaries.

So I'd say if you weren't a raider or didn't really care too much about raiding you probably liked Legion. If you were a raider, and especially a mythic raider, you probably fucking hated it. And if you wanted to be in a top tier guild it only got exponentially worse the more characters you were required to maintain. There was a lot of both bad and good in Legion.

I think BfA is going to be a huge disappointment. Everything I hear about it makes me think "so they're trying to hype up and sell me shit that's existed for multiple expansions already as new" and the fact that it seems to hinge almost entirely on scenarios sounds terrible to me. I hate scenarios, I hate the matchmaking system involved with multiple person scenarios and in general the entire idea of scenarios is counter-intuitive. Especially as it was implemented in Legion. You take a "Massively Multiplayer" game and force character progression through solo or 3 person scenarios? Is that for real? I realize WoW has a lot of soloable content and it's not nearly as group focused as MMO's of the past but when you quest solo that's a choice. You have other options. When I want to complete my Artifact or Class Hall campaign I am literally forced into solo scenarios as well as a few other major story questlines in legion.

The stormheim entry scenario is a perfect example of the stupidity of scenarios. "Yo you bros excited for Legion launch? Let's do this! What zone should we pick? Let's go help out these badass viking gods! Wait... what? Oh, guess I'll see you guys in 10 minutes. We aren't allowed to play together yet". And Blizzard thinks this is the perfect tech to build an entire expansion upon. It's Cataclysm and the phasing fiasco all over again.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
As a mega casual only really playing through the expansion now that it is over it's pretty fun. I like the story and the Skinner Box is well polished.

I've been reading the different WoW threads here for the duration and it's sounded pretty terrible. The multiple character AP super grinding that the people at the bleeding edge of raiding was more punishment than game and I think I remember people remaking their entire character for different Legendary rolls?

But as a Johnny Come Lately member of the unwashed teeming masses it's pretty good!

I hope Blizzard never, ever takes someone like me into consideration for anything ever. I'm a tourist at best.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
During EN I was a mythic raider. I got my main weapon to the point it needed to be really fast. I got shit legendaries (feign death legendary, really?) And we still beat content. Would other legendaries have made it easier? Sure. Unless you were a poopsocker there was no need to reroll. If you were doing AP on 12 toons then you might need to rethink your life choices or this is your job so who cares?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
When you are wiping to enrage and one lego you never got + three of the correct relics is a 50% dps swing. And repeat that with a second spec for certain fights. And the people who won the loot lottery get to smash meters for a day or two and then jump to another guild. And some dickhead compares your logs with someone who is perfectly geared, yet equal in the (now useless) measure of ilevel. Yay, rogue.

Actually, I didn't get -any- dps boosting legos.

I guess in the year since then maybe that smoothed out. Sure as fuck wasn't willing to wait that long.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Didn't they nerf a bunch of the over performing Legendary items thus making even those that got lucky unhappy with the system as well?

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wasn't a world first mythic raider. I have a life. I was in a guild that didn't bench people for gear or anything like that. Turns out you can kill mythic bosses without worrying about that stuff. If you were worrying about that stuff you are getting paid to play the game so I don't really feel bad for you.

Could legion have been better? Sure. I don't think a single one of us enjoyed the legendary system. Did the legendary system make the raids bad? No. Raids were just fine. I enjoyed the challenging fights and the couple freebies.

There were a lot of cool things in Legion. Bfa looks like a shit show to me so far. I kind of hope it's better then it looks.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Sure, every fight can be done without worrying about comp at all but, using KJ for example, when you can just bring rogues and mages that completely trivialize or straight up negate mechanics for 98% of the fight, why wouldn't you?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It doesn't matter if you can, eventually, do it. Even people who aren't in top end, bleeding edge guilds like to compare their performance against their peers and try to play their class at a high level. The way the system was designed in Legion made it very, very frustrating for people who were doing what they needed to every week to maximize their chances at an RNG legendary... and then getting a shit tier one. It also encouraged grinding for a game that had been, for the better part of the last 10 years, a gear up to do the first raid and then all you need to do is log in for raids each week kind of game. Legion turned that on it's head.

It's very very easy to see why so many people would be frustrated with it. And the argument isn't whether or not it was doable, it's about frustration levels regarding how RNG it was. Min-maxing is fine, it's a carrot, it's something people enjoy thinking about. Grinding is even fine. Grinding for a low percentage chance at a game-changing item is not fun. Even if you get the right item it's relief that washes over you, not excitement. That's bad design.

And this is coming from someone who played a class where Legendaries didn't really matter because I was god-tier practically naked (Guardian Druid) AND I got two of the BiS legendaries right away anyway. And as I recall you played a Guardian Druid as well didn't you Fyff? Pretty easy to enjoy the game when you're OP no matter what.

I enjoyed raiding until NH where my guild's lack of logging in outside of raid started to effect performance and the amount of time we spent wiping. I got so, incredibly lucky this expansion. Picked an initial class that was OP and got great legendaries. Then switched to another fun, OP class (Frost DK) and immediately got the BiS legendaries for that spec as well. But I can see why people hated it. And it really sucked doing almost twice as much damage as our lowest DPS in a mythic raiding guild and not being able to tell right away if it was just their class and lack of legendaries or if it was because they fucking sucked.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I did not play this whole xpac, i came back fairly late and here's my take:

- Class/spec OPness can wildly swing fight to fight
- Class specs have their weapons segregated, with 3 relics within them segregated, also with 2-4 BiS legendaries segregated.
- Set bonus power can swing wildly from spec to spec
- Trinket itemization
- Diablo RNG

I don't know why they would design a system with all of those things combined, and frankly I have zero confidence that one iteration from that (even if it's in the right direction) will be good either.