World of Warcraft: Current Year

xzi

Mouthbreather
people used to say that about old quake pros, like fatal1ty was really one of the first esports stars out there and they're like "this won't last forever" every single time he did any interview, all they did constantly was tell him his money won't last and what he's doing isn't a real job

except much like plenty of top twitch streamers, fatal1ty knows how to brand and promote himself and he went on to not only start his own company but sells the brand rights of his name to hardware manufacturers and makes way more fucking money than he ever did actually playing

he hasn't been a competitor in like 10+ years and yet he still has a much more successful career because of it

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Granted, most high end streamers are around 20-28 right now. So another 20 years and the landscape will have dramatically changed again. In 2000, I dont know if they existed or not, but I sure as hell didnt know about any "streamers." I dont think my internet or PC could have handled streaming a game back then, but maybe there was? People are either going to move with or without the change in trends. I am hoping, that in 20 years - we have a standard, strong contender for virtual reality. In which case, I am going to give zero fucks about a streamer like usual and while my wife is off drinking wine with her wino's - Ill be fucking some dumb slut on OnlyFans for pennies.
What was the first game that offered observor mode? Halo? Unreal? Shit.. Duke Nukem 3D? Where you could watch someone play from their perspective. That was the first "streaming".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
Demos in Doom in 1993, it replays exactly 1:1 whoever recorded the footage

there was kind of a big scene for it even back then because the files were extremely small and hostable on websites without costing a billion dollars

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
From my limited following, the demos are the biggest part of Doom speed running since other runners can analyze them for editing and tool assistance.

xzi

Mouthbreather
From my limited following, the demos are the biggest part of Doom speed running since other runners can analyze them for editing and tool assistance.

It's also the best way to tell if a run is legit or not. It's actually super interesting, you can download speedruns from like 1997 and watch them right now if you want and they boot right up in doom.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
people used to say that about old quake pros, like fatal1ty was really one of the first esports stars out there and they're like "this won't last forever" every single time he did any interview, all they did constantly was tell him his money won't last and what he's doing isn't a real job

except much like plenty of top twitch streamers, fatal1ty knows how to brand and promote himself and he went on to not only start his own company but sells the brand rights of his name to hardware manufacturers and makes way more fucking money than he ever did actually playing

he hasn't been a competitor in like 10+ years and yet he still has a much more successful career because of it
DotA is a great example of this, you had "pros" 15years ago grinding Dota1 tournaments, sleeping at LANs under their computer and shit for 20k prizepools(split between 5people), and those same people then made literal millions years later.

That said esports is even more restricted than streaming I think, there's really a lot of money but for only very very few people. It's hard to break in because the skill level for most esports is so high with the top players often having 10+years experience and games also aren't always constant either(especially say the fighting game or FPS scenes which constantly has new games replacing the old ones).

I don't know if streaming will die really that soon or die at all. People always seek entertainment, and videogames being the #1 hobby will probably keep growing as a trend, so it makes sense entertainment centered around that hobby will keep growing also.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I watched a clip of some streamer yesterday actually, and he was talking about how girls 10-15 years ago were playing games. But no where near the number of girls playing games, now. Sort of like you're saying Pyros Pyros , I dont think the streaming market is going anywhere. I couldnt say what will happen in 20 years, true. But I've got some friends that are die hard into their chosen career path making peanuts. They watch people play single player games at a casual pace, and start/stop videos like save games and will watch a person play an entire game. Just, simply, because they dont budget for the console and game. I see that becoming more and more normal because of how the internet is getting deep down into places where they are lucky they even have running water. Which, is a bit confusing?.. Cart before the horse kind of thing in my opinion but maybe it'll give the "ability" to the local populace to fix their situation if it is indeed one that can be fixed. But I'm getting off track.

I believe Starcraft was the first game that I .. streamed? I guess? Observer mode on.

Daidraco

On a side note - They really give no fucks about dailies anymore do they? "Ill trade you 100G for 600 Azerite?" Deal! "Ok, See you tomorrow for the same f'n "DEAL"!"

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I watched a clip of some streamer yesterday actually, and he was talking about how girls 10-15 years ago were playing games. But no where near the number of girls playing games, now. Sort of like you're saying Pyros Pyros , I dont think the streaming market is going anywhere. I couldnt say what will happen in 20 years, true. But I've got some friends that are die hard into their chosen career path making peanuts. They watch people play single player games at a casual pace, and start/stop videos like save games and will watch a person play an entire game. Just, simply, because they dont budget for the console and game. I see that becoming more and more normal because of how the internet is getting deep down into places where they are lucky they even have running water. Which, is a bit confusing?.. Cart before the horse kind of thing in my opinion but maybe it'll give the "ability" to the local populace to fix their situation if it is indeed one that can be fixed. But I'm getting off track.

I believe Starcraft was the first game that I .. streamed? I guess? Observer mode on.
My local DWANGO and Kali buddies met up once for a LAN party back in the mid-90's, and there was one token girl who went by the user Xena. She went by that as her name, too. She was weird. Decent enough at Doom, fucking terrible at Warcraft 2. We went swimming and it was creepy seeing all these fat dudes basically circling her in the pool. One of the guys was older, and later got arrested for molesting one of the younger dudes my age. The internet became a thing shortly after and I don't think I ever talked to any of them again.

I'd forgotten about that until just now...

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
On a side note - They really give no fucks about dailies anymore do they? "Ill trade you 100G for 600 Azerite?" Deal! "Ok, See you tomorrow for the same f'n "DEAL"!"
Those are the donation quests to open up the warfronts.

Unfortunately warfronts were one of the biggest failures of BFA.

Malkav

French Madman
Aaaand they're finally getting rid of the Achievement requirement for flying in WoD and Legion, but not in BFA.

Can't very well announce that for BFA or people would just not bother with it even with the rep buff.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Aaaand they're finally getting rid of the Achievement requirement for flying in WoD and Legion, but not in BFA.

Can't very well announce that for BFA or people would just not bother with it even with the rep buff.

You still get a speed increase for doing it. I notice it.

Daidraco

When are they getting rid of the pathfinder stuff for the older expacks? Shadowlands?

I believe thats what people have been led to believe. I was watching... Tal and Eli? or w/e that streamer duo is, and that was one of their biggest questions laid out yesterday. "How are they going to handle this with the removal of pathfinder requirement?"

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This expansion actually looks decent, might be the one I finally resub to check out, wanted to do with BFA but didn't have time during prelaunch and then launch happened and everyone was saying how it was shit so didn't bother, but I like a bunch of the changes they've announced for Shadowlands. Just need to not be during another big game. Also will be tough figuring out what class I want to play, probably paladin or monk so I get access to all roles but guess I'll wait a bit for shadowlands changes to check out how each spec plays.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I like that you’ll have at least some measure of control over your weekly box in shadowlands. I now have 2x 475 sporepod trinkets on monk and 5 different 470-475 rings in Dh. Gotta keep hitting that loot piñata

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
Anybody else for a CRUSADE?

928353.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users