World of Warcraft: Current Year

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
State government jobs are not union jobs necessarily, many states don't allow public sector unions. But civil servants are protected by state level "Civil Service Acts" which were developed in the early 20th century to replace the old system of government jobs where you got hired based on what politician you bribed and fired when that politician lost election. These civil service systems are what requires the termination process be followed. Some states do have collective bargaining contracts with public sector unions as well. This is uncommon in the Southeast and many of the big empty states between the Pacific coast and the Mississippi River.

Now your claim about private sector workers misses the point I already made--it's typical in many corporations that you have an annoying HR process to follow to fire someone, it is also not unusual for lax management to occur and ignore bad workers. In other cases, companies which employ lots of low wage workers exercise only minimal oversight of work quality due to the fact low wage positions have such high turnover it's not usually worth the time to attempt to "curate" the workforce that much. Poor quality employees are widely found in every industry and every type of employment.
My wife got a few 89 day gigs at the Ford parts depot. Basically non union help labor. 89 days only because at 90 days they would have to hire you full time. It was great money at the time, something like $18/hr or whatever, back in the 90s. Job consisted of getting an order slip, taking a giant shopping cart, fillit with the parts and send it off to packaging dept. So one day she gets stopped by some perma workers there and she is told to lay off, slow down, shes making everyone look bad. You see they had unions set up quotas for orders per hour or some shit. So you could never work harder than the dude next to you because you would get slapped down by everybody else. Because if they saw you could do 10 orders per hour and the quota was 5, the quotas would be eventually readjusted and everyone would have to work harder.

I could go on for days about how shitty modern unions are.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
I loved watching their shit head union members show themselves to be absolute pieces of shit 10 years ago when they went on strike.

Recording themselves harassing customers like degenerate weirdos, the endless industrial sabotage which fucked over Verizon customers for weeks. Fuck them and fuck unions.

For me personally I got a front row ticket you how utterly garbage unions are with my dad. Guy was basically a god tier malingerer and unable to the union he kept his great job with great benefits.

Social media man. These people have process the tens of thousands of people talking about this. They can't properly put this into context.
Teamsters are a horrible union with numb, inert workers, and is the primary reason why a vast amount of work is now outsourced. I worked at a company that had Teamsters; they dropped grievances left and right, and for the most trivial shit. You couldn't lift a computer or monitor onto a desk...they had to do it, or move anything over x_pounds. Those idiots were always walking all over the place with their damn hand trucks and their stupid back braces. Every time I saw an unattended hand cart, I'd abscond with it and hide it. If you've ever been in a building and saw a lone hand cart riding the elevators all day, that was me or the work of someone like me.

LMAO at Mist saying Amazon should go Teamsters. Enjoy getting your package in two weeks ya numb fuck.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Teamsters are a horrible union with numb, inert workers, and is the primary reason why a vast amount of work is now outsourced. I worked at a company that had Teamsters; they dropped grievances left and right, and for the most trivial shit. You couldn't lift a computer or monitor onto a desk...they had to do it, or move anything over x_pounds. Those idiots were always walking all over the place with their damn hand trucks and their stupid back braces. Every time I saw an unattended hand cart, I'd abscond with it and hide it. If you've ever been in a building and saw a lone hand cart riding the elevators all day, that was me or the work of someone like me.

LMAO at Mist saying Amazon should go Teamsters. Enjoy getting your package in two weeks ya numb fuck.
Yeah they pulled that shit on us at a GM facility. Most of us were jobbie engineers there doing some program for South America. One day they tell us we need to move to other side of office, probably like 100 yards. But the computers were all GM owned. So they called in the union to move the shit. Took them a week. They sent us all home paid vacation and GM lost out on about 30 of us for a whole week of productivity.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My wife got a few 89 day gigs at the Ford parts depot. Basically non union help labor. 89 days only because at 90 days they would have to hire you full time. It was great money at the time, something like $18/hr or whatever, back in the 90s. Job consisted of getting an order slip, taking a giant shopping cart, fillit with the parts and send it off to packaging dept. So one day she gets stopped by some perma workers there and she is told to lay off, slow down, shes making everyone look bad. You see they had unions set up quotas for orders per hour or some shit. So you could never work harder than the dude next to you because you would get slapped down by everybody else. Because if they saw you could do 10 orders per hour and the quota was 5, the quotas would be eventually readjusted and everyone would have to work harder.

This happens at non-union places. I was constantly intimidated and even threatened for working too many tickets at my last job.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

This is EXACTLY how it was at UPS.

I used to work unload wall most of the time. Well, the rate at the time was 650 pieces/hour. I had unloaded trucks for another company a few years prior on manual conveyors, so now that I had these fancy, adjustable auto conveyors at UPS, I knew I'd be able to fly. I could usually hit 800+ on most days, especially if it didn't involve super heavy shit like books or ammo. On the JCPenny trailers that were mostly clothes, I'd top 1000+ no problem.

Well, the dudes on sort didn't like having to work hard (more pieces coming at you means you have to sort faster, obviously) and used to bitch up a storm, "Heeeeeyyyyyyy!!! Slow down buddy! Nobody is trying to be Superman over here!!". Eventually they'd just shut the line off. My supervisor would come over and ask what the problem was, and I'd say "Well, Louis is bitching that I'm going too fast, so he shut down the sorter while he "catches up"". My supervisor would say, "Fuck that. When he turns it back on I'll help you burry him. I'm sick of his shit".

No surprise, supervisors/management weren't part of the union. Shit happened almost daily. There were a few sorters who were cool and had no problem keeping up, but there were 4 or 5 that were just absolute trash, trying to do as little work as possible.

I used to be a big, "Rah, rah! Unions protect workers!" dipshit when I was young and naive. It wasn't until I was actually in one that I realized how they actually fuckin' work. Essentially, they only serve the absolute dregs of the workforce. They protect the shittiest, laziest employees that would otherwise be fired for performance/production anywhere else. And they keep down anybody who wants to excel, because everything in terms of promotions, raises, etc. is based on seniority only, performance doesn't mean shit. Being a good, productive employee gets you nowhere. Essentially, "average" is the expectation. Too far below it and the union will protect you, too far above it and you'll get everyone screaming at you for trying to excel.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I was in the UK Teachers union and in my first year I needed their help because I was being harassed by wild students in my classroom, the person supposed to be helping me was going to fail my professional accreditation which would end my career and the principal was locked up in his office with an architect designing a new school building.

All the union guy did is say that my mentor failed one person every year to "look tough" for future career advancement and it was usually the maths teacher. The unions mental health hotline told me I shouldn't be ringing them when I said I was stressed and depressed (and secretly borderline suicidal).

I had to resign and did just fine in my next school. Why am I telling you all this?

The quality of a Union, Company HR or Independent Arbitration is totally arbitary because it invovles people. Knowing about corrupt unions defending shit employees or great unions fighting the good fight doesn't mean that is what you'll get.

This derail is totally pointless.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
This is EXACTLY how it was at UPS.

I used to work unload wall most of the time. Well, the rate at the time was 650 pieces/hour. I had unloaded trucks for another company a few years prior on manual conveyors, so now that I had these fancy, adjustable auto conveyors at UPS, I knew I'd be able to fly. I could usually hit 800+ on most days, especially if it didn't involve super heavy shit like books or ammo. On the JCPenny trailers that were mostly clothes, I'd top 1000+ no problem.

Well, the dudes on sort didn't like having to work hard (more pieces coming at you means you have to sort faster, obviously) and used to bitch up a storm, "Heeeeeyyyyyyy!!! Slow down buddy! Nobody is trying to be Superman over here!!". Eventually they'd just shut the line off. My supervisor would come over and ask what the problem was, and I'd say "Well, Louis is bitching that I'm going too fast, so he shut down the sorter while he "catches up"". My supervisor would say, "Fuck that. When he turns it back on I'll help you burry him. I'm sick of his shit".

No surprise, supervisors/management weren't part of the union. Shit happened almost daily. There were a few sorters who were cool and had no problem keeping up, but there were 4 or 5 that were just absolute trash, trying to do as little work as possible.

I used to be a big, "Rah, rah! Unions protect workers!" dipshit when I was young and naive. It wasn't until I was actually in one that I realized how they actually fuckin' work. Essentially, they only serve the absolute dregs of the workforce. They protect the shittiest, laziest employees that would otherwise be fired for performance/production anywhere else. And they keep down anybody who wants to excel, because everything in terms of promotions, raises, etc. is based on seniority only, performance doesn't mean shit. Being a good, productive employee gets you nowhere. Essentially, "average" is the expectation. Too far below it and the union will protect you, too far above it and you'll get everyone screaming at you for trying to excel.

So you worked 2 years as a hub rat? How did you manage to not get out of that shithole after so long?

• 1Faggotry

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My wifes dad retired from Ford. Few years before he go the best job in the whole place because of his seniority. Know what it was? A fucking cleaner. Yep cleaned bathrooms and the office trash cans on the midnight shift. Why was it the best job? Because it only took a hour to do it, so he would go home drink beer, come back hour before his shift was up and punch the clock.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

elbas

Molten Core Raider

The problem without a union in something like this is that it soon becomes a race and UPS will lay off everyone except the fastest. So even if you could hit 1000, the supervisor might come over and lay you off because you're not hitting 1200+ like Supersorter over there. Oh and if Supersorter gets repetitive stress injuries and can't hit that 1200+ anymore, well, his supervisor will have a little chat with him just like he did with you. The workers become human robots that are junked as surplus if they aren't part of the fastest workers (like Amazon warehouses). Unions can be beneficial in these "worker cog" jobs since all that matters is dexterity and accuracy. Unions don't really make as much sense in creative sectors since the jobs aren't just about fast repetition with accuracy. Who the person is makes a huge difference in the quality of the final product. The employee protections in a union software programming shop are likely going to keep bad programmers around who put out crap products which won't sell and the company will go out of business.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Lol, I didn't intend to make it sound like hero worship. It's just amusing seeing all these Blizz guys act like they didn't even know the guy.

I took your point to be Alex has the same asshole gene Steve Jobs did. Raging dicks who everyone wanted to be near/loved by.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So you worked 2 years as a hub rat? How did you manage to not get out of that shithole after so long?
It wasn't quite 2 years. 19ish months. Average seniority level to go driver at our hub was 5 years.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I took your point to be Alex has the same asshole gene Steve Jobs did. Raging dicks who everyone wanted to be near/loved by.
Yeah certain people have that charisma. I had a buddy like that. Unlike Alex though, total fucking loser, never had a job in his life for more than a week or two. But yet he had that charisma and people would just gravitate to him, pay for all his shit, even give him free room and board.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This happens at non-union places. I was constantly intimidated and even threatened for working too many tickets at my last job.
You worked at a unionized IT MSP or whatever?

That is a hell of a unicorn lol.

• 1Moron

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
I like that the argument has devolved to people being annoyed unions allowed them to only suck 20 corporate dicks an hour when they could easily have taken 60.

This is the best thread. Shit, we even got Kreugen back.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The workers become human robots that are junked as surplus if they aren't part of the fastest workers (like Amazon warehouses).
I've worked in FCs/DCs and warehouses my entire life. I've spent the past 6 years in an FC environment, even for a company like Walmart. This isn't true at all, but keep repeating what the "news" tells you about how "deplorable" those environments are.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You worked at a unionized IT MSP or whatever?

That is a hell of a unicorn lol.
Can you not fucking read?

1627581396720.png

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I like that the argument has devolved to people being annoyed unions allowed them to only suck 20 corporate dicks an hour when they could easily have taken 60.

This is the best thread. Shit, we even got Kreugen back.
Yeah if you have pleb manual labor jobs like that I guess I can see the appeal. Software developer unions just wouldn't fly because you can always just get another dev job. Especially if you're even average at it. A software developer union would leave you stuck with shitty people.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Who can be more corrupt, the union or the company, next on FoH!

P.S. Both can be horrible.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
WTF?
I come to this thread to see if there's some info and hopefully videos on desperate groupies being ran a train on by beta devs, not to read about some pathetic unions bullshit

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users