World of Warcraft: Current Year

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Let’s be real, Hamilton should not be fired for his tweets, regardless of how stupid they are. He should be fired because he has designed Azerite, Corruption, and Shards of Domination. In what other industry can you show up and fail miserably at everything you work on and keep your job?

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Right on mate

LOL.. right. The game is still printing wads of cash. Shut it down.. LOL.. Fuckin' business geniuses right here.

The reason EQ hasn't been killed yet. It makes money. 100k paid accounts still generate decent income, especially considering the dev team is probably only about 10 people at this point for code, and design. Art is shared resource so harder to pin down.

WoW makes exponentially more money, and the bean counters don't give a fuck if people here aren't happy. People are still subscribed, paying them money, buying all the special mount bullshit, etc.. Until such time as the game doesn't make money, expect nothing to change.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Isn't that when HR should step in? Oh wait, I guess they don't have HR anymore lol.

You expect HR to keep tabs on every employee's social media posting? HR is busy enough trying to stave off massive lawsuits and more so, trying to stop the state of CA from raiding the corporate $$$ in fines.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Couple that with his career just screaming “mediocre” and I’m not shocked Blizzard is a dead company.
Most of the old Bliz crew had really humble beginnings. Mark Kern said one of the devs in the early Bliz days was working at Sears as a watch repairman lol. I forget this devs name tho.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Putting together a 'Rock Star' level team doesn't guarantee success either. Sometimes the best ideas come from people who don't have the storied background in the dev world. I mean, look at all the Dream Team companies that fell flat on their faces.. Red 5 Studios. Their game, "Firefall" was a confusing pile of shit at launch. 38 Studios is another great example. Hyped up the community like crazy, and then failed to even deliver a game at all.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The reason EQ hasn't been killed yet. It makes money. 100k paid accounts still generate decent income, especially considering the dev team is probably only about 10 people at this point for code, and design.
And this is exactly the reason WoW players are currently worried. I think the term is "managed decline."

The current copium is that the "A Team" is working on the next expansion, and that they are secretly working on WoW 2. Which management would probably never approve: MMORPG games are expensive to make, take years and make less money than the cheap mobile games from King. And Blizzard will be publishing three of those next.

If these three Blizzard mobile games are even remotely successful, then Blizzard as a PC games company and brand is done for.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
I doubt this is anything new but I think the problem is basically summed up as ‘over time, the dev team changed from caring primarily about games to caring primarily about politics’.

This is why they hire people who aren’t very good at development but are he/him allies, why they spend time on making some dwarf’s kid black / retroactively adding diversity instead of spending that time fixing the game, etc. The game suffers / becomes a vessel for politics, instead of shining as a game. See also bad recent (in game) stories.

The devs don’t care because they’re using all of their caring on politics.

Last edited:

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Why do I get the feeling that this one is an AI script gone rogue:

Humanbeak.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Malkav

French Madman
"Blizzard has the best in the business when it comes to story writing". Yeah that bot is brain damaged.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Did I mention that the current copium meme on 4chan is 26M MAUs (as if those were all WoW players) and 900k M+ runs per week?

Punchline: When Shadowlands started they had over 3 million M+ runs in the first week. It looks like two thirds of the playerbase just outright vanished and never came back for 9.1.

Also, the ex-CEO of Carbine Studios (WildStar) got hired. Yeah, the one who introduced CREDD, their token gold/gametime exchange system:

1628673828809.jpeg

• 2Worf

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Edit: In these interesting times we live in, I think he prefers to be remembered as "a Riot employee":

1628674146997.png

1628674130403.jpeg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I doubt this is anything new but I think the problem is basically summed up as ‘over time, the dev team changed from caring primarily about games to caring primarily about politics’.

This is why they hire people who aren’t very good at development but are he/him allies, why they spend time on making some dwarf’s kid black / retroactively adding diversity instead of spending that time fixing the game, etc. The game suffers / becomes a vessel for politics, instead of shining as a game. See also bad recent (in game) stories.

The devs don’t care because they’re using all of their caring on politics.
Warcraft is kinda fucked for diversity as they already showed that the seven human kingdoms are white european and chose to represent other racial groups as beastial races.

There's literally no way to add diversity and have it make sense, the world is too small. At least one dev has posted about hating how the lore is set up, I don't think their woke employees have any faith in the game as it's borderline haram.

FF14 lucked out with their approach of nations having a racial bias but always including humans. So they got European, Middle Eastern and Far Eastern humans, maybe Indian next expansion too.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Most of the old Bliz crew had really humble beginnings. Mark Kern said one of the devs in the early Bliz days was working at Sears as a watch repairman lol. I forget this devs name tho.
Fair point. But I see shit like Trion and Carbine and I get the impression of dev retreads. I’d rather hire passionate watch dude who does design in his spare time. Maybe mediocre isn’t the right term.

Chris

Potato del Grande
The irony. Asmongold isn't toxic at all, demented twitter rants are though.

These people will zero in on one phrase "wow community is trash" or idea "wow devs needs to be fired" which isn't positive affirmation, then use that without context to spin a toxic narrative that everything that person says is bad and always like that, while being multiple times ruder than the thing they are complaining about.

Meanwhile their twitter timelines is non stop toxic posts about groups it's OK to dislike because of crimes against the woke narrative.

Asmongold did exactly the right thing by making a video refusing to apologise and standing up for himself, before continuing to rake in the FF14 cash.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users