World of Warcraft: Current Year

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The last season of SL was great for m+

In large part because Kara and mechagon and no sl base dungeons...

I don't doubt improvements got made. Especially since it was a major complaint and sore spot all Season 1 and into the second patch.

But damn if anyone could be bothered to come check it out again at the end of the expac. They burnt all the rest of their goodwill. If massive feedback comes in on Dragonflight dungeons it'll get a buy from me regardless. But so far it sounds like Shadowlands launch.

I'm willing to let go of BFA M+ itemization and design if the dungeons are good.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Finally finished levelling up the Void Elf Spriest and got the Mechagnome unlock. Chromie-time is crazy fast for leveling. I think I did 50-60 (maybe even 49-60) in Vashj'ir and didn't even finish the zone. Evokers seem fun, at least the DPS spec does. Never tried the healing spec but from the few heals that the DPS spec has as part of the base class it seems pretty fun.

They gonna have a tank spec down the line for Dracthyr or do an Allied Race for Drakonids and do it that way? Allied races was one of the more fun aspects of BfA and I don't know why they gave up on it for Shadowlands. There is some strong nostalgia factor for those older expansions that you can explore doing Chromie Time. The dungeons etc are old enough that they were both familiar and yet somewhat unknown as it had been awhile since I had done them. Getting people to do Allied Races is a great way to entertain the multitudes without having to wring your hands over upsetting the M+ edgelord types.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Whew, I did it. Last night of Shadowlands, I beat most of the remaining raids in LFR including Sylvanas and the Jailer. Mission accomplished

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Any thoughts on hunter v lock?
Demonology Lock and BM Hunter are both in pretty solid spots, damage output wise. Sounds like you have locks though, which only leaves BM Hunter as "viable". Hunters are in a weird spot in that they have probably one of, if not the lowest survivability levels among DPS. They also don't bring much raid utility either, since everybody and their mother has a version of 'lust now. MM is pretty garbage now, probably toward the bottom rung of DPS specs and Survival is just kinda "meh" tier.
If this is "a fucking mess" I'll take it, and look forward to having even more fun when they fix it, lol.
Absolutely, man. At the end of the day, having fun with a spec is FAR more important than being top 3 on the meters every fucking fight. I'm just cautioning people who think they are going to fill a raid slot in anything but LFR as an SP.
Everything prior to Shadowlands (with BFA being a bit grey), imo, can be considered Legacy WoW. Meaning that all the expansions / storys were connected to demons / titans / old gods (I guess). Yet, Shadowlands onward seems pretty disconnected from that, I think Blizz calls it "new era" or something. Its now Their Story, as the Woke Army that lives to change / promote shit to be inclusive and diverse above all else. I would say the current dev team views Legacy WoW as tainted.
Scary thought that the WoW story could actually get worse than legacy WoW. EVERYTHING involving Sylvannas is just absolute trash tier writing.

Ashin

Silver Knight of the Realm
Nothing about these last few pages says it's on par with BFA dungeons. Maybe the systems are better, but without dungeons that are considerably above Shadowlands, or a return to competitive BFA M+ and titanforging where M+ can compete with Mythic raids, I just don't care enough about Mythic raiding to buy Dragonflight.

If the dungeons were at least BFA quality I'd say it's worth the buy. But that doesn't seem to be the case. It's another Shadowlands in terms of dungeons.

You'll be able to get loot from m+ (upgrades & great vault) that's equivalent to mythic raid drops, except the last boss.

M+ is now harder though from +10s onwards, e.g. +11 is supposed to be equal to what a +15 was in SL

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jox

Molten Core Raider
You'll be able to get loot from m+ (upgrades & great vault) that's equivalent to mythic raid drops, except the last boss.

M+ is now harder though from +10s onwards, e.g. +11 is supposed to be equal to what a +15 was in SL
Isn't it just +10% a level instead of +8% now? And the loot scales up to +20, or is this old info?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Here is the scaling:
2022-11-28 07.48.16 www.wowhead.com 1689230d1d91.png

Reposting for reference(HM = Heroic raid, MM = Mythic raid):
2022-11-28 07.41.28 docs.google.com 5f9b63c7e985.png

Second spreadsheet is from the Dragonlands spreadsheet:

Last edited:

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Everything prior to Shadowlands (with BFA being a bit grey), imo, can be considered Legacy WoW. Meaning that all the expansions / storys were connected to demons / titans / old gods (I guess). Yet, Shadowlands onward seems pretty disconnected from that, I think Blizz calls it "new era" or something. Its now Their Story, as the Woke Army that lives to change / promote shit to be inclusive and diverse above all else. I would say the current dev team views Legacy WoW as tainted.

I wouldn't put it that way.

I think the "Legacy WoW" would be the expansions that tied the loose ends left by the previous RTS franchise, basically all the way to the end of Wrath of the Lich King. Vanilla was mostly random villains here and there (Ragnaros was new for WoW, Hakkar was also new, Ahn'Qiraj and C'thun were new) but Naxxramas had Kel'Thuzad and that was a call back to Warcraft 3. Then Burning Crusade tied the loose ends for Illidan, Vashj and Kael'thas, and somewhat Kil'Jaeden, and then Wrath of the Lich King put an end to Arthas.

Then we had Cataclysm which was mostly a made up story which included a known figure from the past (Deathwing from Warcraft 2) but everything else was new. Mists of Pandaria was all new content, then Warlords of Draenor TRIED to go back to the good ol' days of the Horde and failed spectacularly, then Legion gave an ending to the Burning Legion so I guess that could be somewhat linked to the legacy content. Then Battle of Azeroth is all new content and stories, Shadowlands as well, and Dragonflight follows that.

So really the non-legacy stuff goes back in my opinion.. and to be fair some of it can actually be pretty damn good (Throne of Thunder and Lei Shen were amazing in my opinion, despite being part of the kiddie panda stuffs omg.)

As far as the story not being connected anymore to the "old lore" though, I wouldn't say that. For over a decade, WoW has had the main good guys be the Titans and the main bad guys be the Void Lords (the creators of the Old Gods). Thing is, now that we've actually met the Titans (end of Legion), they don't appear quite so unreachable anymore.... and the Void Lords we have never seen but they're supposedly not part of the material realm, so it's this vague threat that's always looming..

What Shadowlands started is it considerably widened the scope of the cosmology of WoW... before we had THE Pantheon that was the Titans, now we know the Titans are one pantheon among many, the Pantheon of Order, presumably made in Zereth Ordus (as we learn in Zereth Mortis that there exist various other Zereth areas in the universe where realities are fabricated). In Shadowlands we met the Pantheon of Death (Zereth Mortis). We also discover Elune is part of the Pantheon of Life (and the sister of the Winter Queen of Ardenweald, from the Pantheon of Death). There are other Pantheons out there, many more deities for various cosmic forces.

It feels a little like how EQ had only those few planes and various deities from the character creation screen or manual, and then when they came around to Planes of Power they had to add a lot of fluff and then after that since the story ended with Zebuxoruk freed and the gods defeated they had to expand it even further out and create new demi-gods and demi-planes and make new people gods (Mayong Mistmoore, etc)...

Dragonflight is going further into the Titan lore, and the main threat so far is the Primal Incarnates, dragons who did not follow the Titans in the ancient times but instead decided to serve the Elemental Lords (themselves serving the Old Gods).

So it's still mostly connected, but they basically pushed the boundaries way back so as not to paint themselves into a corner for the years to come.

Problem is, the writing is mostly shit so it's hard to really care about the lore anymore.

Last edited:

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Whew, I did it. Last night of Shadowlands, I beat most of the remaining raids in LFR including Sylvanas and the Jailer. Mission accomplished

I think it's telling that I literally didn't even think to do LFR for the remaining raids in Shadowlands.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Vanilla was mostly random villains here and there (Ragnaros was new for WoW, Hakkar was also new, Ahn'Qiraj and C'thun were new).
C'thun's first form and Forgotten Ones are in Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne in Azjol'nerub.

Ragnaros was a neutral hero from The Frozen Throne patch that had the Horde Campaign which itself was a WoW prototype and really fucking fun.

So Vanilla WoW was only a small iteration from the previous game's lore.

Each game after had larger and larger stretches from the source material but only Shadowlands I feel actually broke the lore though Warlord of Draenor came very close.

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am confused, at least put the dragons and something new in the meme screenshot. Thats a troll and the rainbow generator has been around and used for forever.

/em Looks at the poster, nvm. Lost cause.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
at least put the dragons and something new in the meme screenshot. Thats a troll and the rainbow generator has been around and used for forever.

Took a couple screenshots of one of my Dracthryrs in both forms while waiting for Galleon to respawn. It's possible to make them look pretty cool I think, though some of the animations are a bit wonky such as running.

VeeshanMog3.jpg

As a big transmog user I feel meh about dracthyrs not having transmog options for most body parts (only shoulders and belt slots), so it's a bit challenging to find stuff that matches their built-in armor and looks cool in Visage form (which gets all the transmog usual slots). I'll have to keep playing Barbie dolls with my other zillion alts.

• 1Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 users

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I like having to play Where's Waldo in the middle of raids with my evoker.

I turned on the highlighted name and outline but it bugs out constantly.

Screenshot (271).png

Where's Xeoo?

• 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
I am confused, at least put the dragons and something new in the meme screenshot. Thats a troll and the rainbow generator has been around and used for forever.

/em Looks at the poster, nvm. Lost cause.
You want me to make original content for a game I'm not even subbed to?

• 1Picard

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like having to play Where's Waldo in the middle of raids with my evoker.

I turned on the highlighted name and outline but it bugs out constantly.

View attachment 445049

Where's Xeoo?

I don't know if this colored friendly names and highlighting is elvui/SL or plater but this setting might help? I see what your saying though, trying to blast somebody in your cone probably pretty difficult if you can't keep track of them. I want to say vuhdo or some other unitframe addon had the ability to have an arrow in the unitframe pointing to where the person was, mixed with a range indicator that might be better.

1669671394557.png

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Looked at the Drakon creator after logging on to wait afk. I know its been said before, but the visage male form still looks like a woman's face. It's somehow worse than blood elves. I slapped the heavy mustache/beard option on, and I was met with the crowd of "men" in Life of Brian.

2022-11-28 16.31.24 www.youtube.com 83fdea3c1fda.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Looked at the Drakon creator after logging on to wait afk. I know its been said before, but the visage male form still looks like a woman's face. It's somehow worse than blood elves. I slapped the heavy mustache/beard option on, and I was met with the crowd of "men" in Life of Brian.

View attachment 445070
Lol they are forcing you all to be trannies to play the new class.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
You can and should build on the lore. The original was a little too reliant on Warcraft 3 for the entire plotline.

*edit* "lets go back to using a boat to get to the expansion area... what could possibly go wrong with that single point of failure?"

Last edited:
  • 1Like