World of Warcraft: Current Year

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
I wonder how the new player experience will be. DF ist basically out of canon like SL - at least that was the argument why BFA stayed mainline until 60 -, so BFA stays till 70 then War within?

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I suspect they are just evolving what have become themed major patches into full-fledged expansions. Not to say that the expansions will have as small a chunk of content as the current .X do, but that the delta between some of the .X and enough for a full expansion has gotten small enough they figured 'eh...why not just go that extra mile for some $$'

I'm just glad they are getting back to the more global storyline of the huge fucking sword stabbed into the planet.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I suspect they are just evolving what have become themed major patches into full-fledged expansions. Not to say that the expansions will have as small a chunk of content as the current .X do, but that the delta between some of the .X and enough for a full expansion has gotten small enough they figured 'eh...why not just go that extra mile for some $$'

I'm just glad they are getting back to the more global storyline of the huge fucking sword stabbed into the planet.
The expansions will likely be the size of a major patch and they'll charge between 35 and 50 bucks for each one. So instead of someone on a budget thinking they can only afford the base edition, they'll now get the ultimate edition at 50 bucks and Blizzard will get 3 purchases in the same time span. Basically, all Im seeing out of this "three expansions" thing is just Destiny 2 levels of greed.

This is of course, AFTER you purchase the initial expansion for full price.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They are definitely gonna go the EQ route and drop 1 expansion a year. Especially since they have 3 outlined already.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, this just strikes me as the current X.Y.5s will be the new point releases, and the current point releases will just be slightly inflated into new 'expansions'.

Even worse, the quick blurb has them reusing Quel'Thalas for 'expansion' 2 and Northrend for 'expansion' 3, so who knows how much actual new geography we are dealing with.

All of this is frankly fine in a free to play game where you can pick and choose expansions as you wish (e.g. Destiny 2), but I haven't heard anything about them dropping the sub fee here.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They are definitely gonna go the EQ route and drop 1 expansion a year. Especially since they have 3 outlined already.
I'm probably fine with that if it's actual content. Like if they drop a patch every quarter, and hotfix/balance shit monthly, and expac yearly, I'm good with this.

If they do xpac launch plus just another raid and dungeon unlocks after 6 months, not a good look.

So funny enough that one leak with the micro expansions and going free to play was actually correct if you think of it as a conversation about their new direction rather than a literal "expac content leak"

• 1Like

Redraw

Lurker
Nan.PNG

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Yeah, this just strikes me as the current X.Y.5s will be the new point releases, and the current point releases will just be slightly inflated into new 'expansions'.

Even worse, the quick blurb has them reusing Quel'Thalas for 'expansion' 2 and Northrend for 'expansion' 3, so who knows how much actual new geography we are dealing with.

All of this is frankly fine in a free to play game where you can pick and choose expansions as you wish (e.g. Destiny 2), but I haven't heard anything about them dropping the sub fee here.

I would counter argue that them going back to prior areas is a good thing. One issue that WoW has had for a long time is how disposable many areas feel - they put out all this content, and with rare exception, none of it ever gets used again. It sort of cheapens the history of an area or what was done there. FF14 is a bit better with this, as they are rather infamous for going back to previously unresolved plot elements or picking up older stories/continuation in zones. They'll even update NPCs added for content put in 10 years ago so their comments will reflect current shit you've done. WoW sort of did this for a little bit, then they drifted away from that until somewhat recently. In WOTLK, if you had done the Onyxia quest as Alliance and then talked to Bolvar pre-Wraith Gate, he acknowledged what you did and how he considered you an ally. It gave importance to what you did in the game and helped you feel more invested.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Not even all that interested in next xpac just yet. I still have waaaaaaaaaay the fuck too much to do with the current one. In the couple weeks I have been back I got my 3 70s almost caught up on gear. Just got my dragonewt to 70, so now I have 4 to do weeklies on. Next week's patch is supposed to have regular flying, so I am definitely hyped about that. They removed the rep requirements for it too. So all I will have to do is explore the new zone and I am donezo. At some point they bumped heirlooms up to 70 too, so now is a good time to get things plowed. You won't even have to stop for gear until you are 70 and looking to optimize once you have full 402.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did they ever figuring the pacing for this new gear upgrade system and nerf it a little or can you still BiS in like 3 weeks?

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty much everything Ian said in the deep dive panel was good.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not even all that interested in next xpac just yet. I still have waaaaaaaaaay the fuck too much to do with the current one. In the couple weeks I have been back I got my 3 70s almost caught up on gear. Just got my dragonewt to 70, so now I have 4 to do weeklies on. Next week's patch is supposed to have regular flying, so I am definitely hyped about that. They removed the rep requirements for it too. So all I will have to do is explore the new zone and I am donezo. At some point they bumped heirlooms up to 70 too, so now is a good time to get things plowed. You won't even have to stop for gear until you are 70 and looking to optimize once you have full 402.
You will have plenty of time to tire of Dragonflight. Ion just said alpha is planned for "Spring," so it's likely almost a year away.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Delves sound cool, but will probably be an even gayer form of Artifact power or some other bullshit.

• 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
Pretty much everything Ian said in the deep dive panel was good.
Yeah, everything is really positive and going in the right direction.

Is it too little too late?

It took them 10 years to learn that disposable content is bad and to have evergreen content as a goal.

It took them 20 years to iterate on mounts and to have a proper alt system.

They haven't figured out yet how to reuse beloved old zones and are three expansions past the lore being exhausted, fingers crossed for the next two expansions on that front I guess...

I don't have enough faith in them to invest in this again.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Delves sound cool, but will probably be an even gayer form of Artifact power or some other bullshit.
It's just scenarios/island expeditions with a new name. Will they figure out how to make it work on the third attempt?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Warbound Until Equipped and Shared Alt Bank is a very nice improvement though.

• 1Solidarity

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lots of QoL features and some interesting stuff but hero talents "iterated based on alpha / beta feedback" well, I hope this time they won't only give access to streamers who'll be only be in for content.