World of Warcraft: Current Year

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
AO, I was doing between 90-100k at 496 with a blue weapon yes. By 518 I was doing 140k but, ilevel is a bullshit measure anyway. I had 2pc, lfr weapon at 2/2, and the best trinket. At 530 I have 4 piece, but my ilvl is also boosted by two pvp items, a 535 timeless chest that sucks, and some sub-optimal flex pieces that are barely better than optimal LFR stuff. But that 4 piece makes up for the padding.

As far as needing 200k to do flex - I've only done flex once, but the highest single target dps in the raid wasn't even 200k, with most below 150. Granted we also wiped to Thok twice and only did the first three wings, but I'm pretty sure 200k+ for Flex is total overkill. From what I saw I'd think an average of 150 gives you minutes to spare. I could be wrong.

Anyway, this whole discussion is funny because Gearscore was a far better measure of actual gear quality but you can't even say the name without people frothing with rage. Yet now judging people by ilevel has become a common thing, and it's a completely dogshit way to judge potential. It's as meaningless as judging a baseball pitcher by his number of wins and handing some guy with a 5.50 ERA an a crappy WHIP the fucking Cy Young award because he won 20 games for Boston. (note, I have no idea who won the Cy Young this year, but there's some unwritten rule about needing 20+ wins to be eligible that journalists bitch about constantly)

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Has anyone tried flex through the in-game raid finder? I hate oQueue. I enable it on Tuesday, do Ordos and Celestials, camp and disable it before I do anything else.

Ryoz

<Donor>
It's not like judging players on gearscore is anything new though, it's been happening since wrath.

All fights are different... but I'd say 200k is a pretty steep requirement for flex. I mean 200k is very good for normal.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
and ever since achievements/gearscore failbags have been demanding ridiculous performance from others to carry them. If you know the fights, lead the raid.

GonzytheMage

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's not like judging players on gearscore is anything new though, it's been happening since wrath.

All fights are different... but I'd say 200k is a pretty steep requirement for flex. I mean 200k is very good for normal.
Really? I thought i was kinda fail at 240k in mostly flex gear. I still can't do shit to this one warlock on my raids with my Ret, his cleave is just too good.

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
On our first normal mode Thok kill, I was top dps (frost mage) at around 215K and he died just before the third gate was about to get unlocked. You really don't need that much dps for flex but it does make the runs a lot smoother. Mechanics trump dps in almost every fight.

As for the dps itself, I was doing 260K on fallen protectors at 550 ilevel but lately I've been doing only 230-240K on them at 563. It's just that the rest of my raid team is now over 560 as well and we're pushing through phases a lot quicker and my dps seems to have pretty much plateaued or even dropped a little. Not sure what I can really do from this point on, maybe it'll get better on heroics again. We're still on Garrosh though and I'm on engineer duty so I'm dead last on dps at 230K.
tongue.png

Ryoz

<Donor>
Yea, that's about where we are. We aren't world beaters or anything, raid 3 hours a week and just got to Garrosh last week. Got him to the third phase on like our 4th try which was pretty awesome. Should be able to down him tomorrow (hopefully).

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
eh unfucked recount and I'm floating in at 130k in ~515 ilvl. my biggest upgrade now would be normal or flex weapons.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah I got a bit of good luck and got some decent trinkets, used Mr.Robot to optimize gemming ( hai to u expertise 4 mages ) / reforge. Now im in the 130 - 140 Range depending on the fight. I just wish it wasnt so costly to swap between frost bomb and living bomb between fights. I just have low dps when I use frost bomb on single target fights.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So on MMO-C they have a blue post that indicates that WoD is going back to hard heroics. Seems to indicate not as hard as Shattered Halls or pre-nerf Stonecore/Grim Batol, but definitely in line with the others. Also max level will have normal and heroic like TBC/Cata. I hope they bring back one of those two rep systems also.

GonzytheMage

Golden Knight of the Realm
Im glad they try to provide that content for people but who the fuck cares about heroic dungeons after the expansion has been out for a couple weeks. Someone needs to get on the batphone and remind them five man content caters to the lowest common denominator and is nothing more than a speed bump for most of the players.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Im glad they try to provide that content for people but who the fuck cares about heroic dungeons after the expansion has been out for a couple weeks. Someone needs to get on the batphone and remind them five man content caters to the lowest common denominator and is nothing more than a speed bump for most of the players.
The lowest common denominator = the entire playerbase? I guess so. Good, hard 5 man content is infinitely better than fucking raids.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Except it's (in my opinion) the most fun content in the game, it used to provide decent rewards and/or VP to purchase decent gear, while not top of the line it gave a sense of progression.
Raids are boring except in heroic mode, where they become dance dance revolution games, script must be executed to perfection, no room for error, no room for improvisation, nothing, in 1-group dungeons you can still do things in an unorthodox manner.
WoW forced down our throat the raid or die mentality and shitfests like the Timeless Isle as fillers are a fucking joke. I'll take the 3 dungeons from WotLK (Pit of Saron and following ones) to "catch up with gear" over opening lunchboxes with the surprise or zerging mobs nobody gives a shit about.

I got an idea: remove the concept of dungeons and or raid: just make some zones and call them "not soloable", then use some sort of Flexible system to give out loot or even better, let players set the level of difficulty beforehand: I think a 5 man done with 3 people or a 10 men done with 6/7 should give, aside from loot, a good sense of satisfaction.
Instead we get: boring dungeons, that I'd hardly consider difficult (Stonecore/Grim Batol were difficult? Did I miss anything?) and that exactly as you say become speedbumps instead of interesting content.

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm
Sure, if you make 5 man content very easy and the rewards useless like in MoP they will get obsolete very fast. Heroics need to present a reasonable challenge and yield rewards comparable to at least LFR if they are to avoid this fate in the next expansion. I think subs are going to suffer if Blizzard keeps up the extreme raid focus. Many long time players are bored with raids by now and WoW raiding is too complex to easily accessible to new players.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I personally enjoyed SH, GB and Stonecore. (Although I wanted to cut someone over the opening trash packs there sometimes)

I would prefer it be like tbc with some heroic blues being very good. (devil shark cape anyone?!) they should be on par with lfr and feed to the new normal (flex). Hell, I might even make the gear blue but higher ilvl than lfr if they're genuinely tough.