World of Warcraft: Current Year

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I'll second openraids. I joined a fairly nice group that runs when I tend to play 3-4 nights a week. My hunter just hit 540 average this week. Would be nice to get celestials to give some loot and to get cloak done for ordos. Otherwise it's just roll with it until I get all slots filled in flex. Mage is in almost the same boat, except already got both t16 pieces off celestials and has more coins to try for weapons and t16 pieces now.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Things like Trinkets, and the Legendary Cloak, hell, your ilvl alone, causes so many differences that its hard for a website to keep up. I was thinking AskMrRobot would be a better site but it falls into the same problem. You have to reforge/enchant/gem towards the gear you have, not what something says. Understanding what a Trinket truly does for your rotation. Or how to get the most out of a proc, and when. Places like AskMrRobot generally tune your character to what you would be like with Best in Slot gear. Noxxic is just giving general information so you wont be a complete pile of shit. If you invest some time researching what you specifically need, you'll be pushing your maximum dps for your ilvl range.

Here are a couple of items to kind of get an idea of what Im referring to.

Assurance of Consequence

Ticking Ebon Detonator

GonzytheMage

Golden Knight of the Realm
Alot of that stuff will fall by the way side after the item squish. Some classes have break points to hit then other stats become more attractive. I can't wait for the expansion so i don't have to reforge and regem my shit after every raid. Don't forget Mr robot has a relative button you can use instead of the absolute value. Absolute value is factored of the BiS list of goodies whereas the relative button factors upgrades from you current gear.

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
So, I haven't played WoW since vanilla, and I'm thinking of maybe picking it up for something to mess with a bit. It would be a completely fresh toon. Where is the place to go for decent info now? I have absolutely no idea.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
So, I haven't played WoW since vanilla, and I'm thinking of maybe picking it up for something to mess with a bit. It would be a completely fresh toon. Where is the place to go for decent info now? I have absolutely no idea.
Just go in completely blind to maximize fun. The game doesn't require outside shit. Just get lost. Literally every talent tree is viable now a days. Even moonkin druids and shadow priests.

GonzytheMage

Golden Knight of the Realm
Do what Bixxby said first and foremost. If you have to read anything take a glance at Icy Veins to get the basic overview of your class/rotation. He is dead on though everything is viable for the normal user, just have fun.

masteen

N00b
You only get so many chances to be a noob, savor them.

The only thing I will say is to pick a class that has a heal or tank spec available. This will save you considerable time later.

elvis_sl

shitlord
Icy Veins - World of Warcraft News and Guidesis a pretty decent and comprehensive site..

while mostly useful once you actually hit 90, i would NOT go into the game completely blind. these days it seems every class has some weird secondary resource tacked onto it, which doesn't get explained to you anywhere (and in some cases seems to need an extra add-on to be able to maximized. hi balance druids). also nice quick overview into stats weighting. gems and so on.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Play what you want. Having a vague idea of the class might help but a guide is likely to overwhelm you. high level combat mechanics are INSANELY different from vanilla. The most complex rotations in vanilla would be so rote and trivial compared to even the easiest of them now, lots of proc based classes, secondary resources as noted, etc.

While being willing to tank or heal will help a TON with queue times and flexibility, don't let it force your hand on class choice, since that's literally the most important decision you'll make obv. Just because Paladins can heal or whatever, if you hate playing one that was a silly decision
wink.png

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah my only regret rolling a mage is the queues at 90 can suck... meaning about 30-45 minutes for a random heroic or LFR. I just hit 90 over the weekend so I still have plenty to do while I wait.

Timeless Isle only got my to ilvl 476 and I need 480 to queue for the ToT raids... pissing me off. Need to find like one more piece of gear, hopefully I'll get it from one of the weekly chests today.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Don't forget to tag a celestial, they can drop 540 gear. Farm up some valor and upgrade a couple of those timeless pieces. Run a heroic scenario with the quest from the panda in the main room of 7 shrines for a piece of 502 gear. That should get you to 503 and the ability to LFR SoO.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Also remember that you can buy a bunch of 496 gear for justice points or honor if you have some stashed away.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't forget to tag a celestial, they can drop 540 gear. Farm up some valor and upgrade a couple of those timeless pieces. Run a heroic scenario with the quest from the panda in the main room of 7 shrines for a piece of 502 gear. That should get you to 503 and the ability to LFR SoO.
I did tag a celestial last night, just got gold... was afraid to use one of my bonus rolls on it but probably should have.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Do it again today. Tuesdays are the start of the week for blizz and you can only get one piece of loot per week from them. Its usually easier today anyway as everyone is doing them.

DavivMcD

Peasant
Do the Lorewalker Cho quest chain; requires you to do 2 regular scenarios, then a quick quest in Kun-Lai, and rewards 502 boots. You can buy a 522 neck for 825 VP without having to grind any rep. Also, are you sure you got all the chests you can from Timeless Isle? A full tour on my last fresh 90 got me to 493, plus 485 equipped on my offspec.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do the Lorewalker Cho quest chain; requires you to do 2 regular scenarios, then a quick quest in Kun-Lai, and rewards 502 boots. You can buy a 522 neck for 825 VP without having to grind any rep. Also, are you sure you got all the chests you can from Timeless Isle? A full tour on my last fresh 90 got me to 493, plus 485 equipped on my offspec.
yes. I had bad luck with getting some mail/leather/plate stuff. I am all 496 gear except weapon, both rings, and 1 trinket. And my non-496 trinket is lower than ilevel 350 so its fucking me big time.

Does Lorewalker Cho quest chain have any pre-reqs? I only finished Jade Forest and like half of two other zones before I hit 90.