World of Warcraft: Current Year

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The problem is that WoW started Cataclysm with 12 million subscribers and dropped to 9 million by the end, then MoP came along with 10million subscribers and now is down to 7.6 million so will likely hit ~7 million by the time 6.0 comes out. So all the really cool things they did in MoP compared to the abortion that was Cataclysm has not really resulted in a significant reduction in rate of subscriber loss. All the fancy MBAs that Kotick keeps wandering around the halls will look at the trendline and go "well no matter what we do we are gonna lose subscribers... so lets do nearly nothing and maximize profits on the way down!"

The fact that they are only 200k down in 1st quarter 2014 compared to 4th quarter 2013 means that the lack of content is really not having any effect. Of course I bet a large number of people are on multi-month subscriber plans or simply have not bothered to quit. All ActiBlizz has to do is time the release of 6.0 with an inflection point in pending cancelled multi-month accounts and they can cruise along with the gravy train.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
The problem is that WoW started Cataclysm with 12 million subscribers and dropped to 9 million by the end, then MoP came along with 10million subscribers and now is down to 7.6 million so will likely hit ~7 million by the time 6.0 comes out. So all the really cool things they did in MoP compared to the abortion that was Cataclysm has not really resulted in a significant reduction in rate of subscriber loss. All the fancy MBAs that Kotick keeps wandering around the halls will look at the trendline and go "well no matter what we do we are gonna lose subscribers... so lets do nearly nothing and maximize profits on the way down!"

The fact that they are only 200k down in 1st quarter 2014 compared to 4th quarter 2013 means that the lack of content is really not having any effect. Of course I bet a large number of people are on multi-month subscriber plans or simply have not bothered to quit. All ActiBlizz has to do is time the release of 6.0 with an inflection point in pending cancelled multi-month accounts and they can cruise along with the gravy train.
They're not really doing nothing compared to every other expansion post TBC though. They're just slow as fuck for reasons we'll never know probably. Never made any damn sense.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
It makes perfect sense given the numbers they are posting for the 1st quarter. History has shown that WoW players are sheeple and won't cancel their accounts even if they have ZERO new content for a year. In fact they lost as many subscribers during quarters that they introduced content as when they don't... so until you hit a psychological breakpoint with your customers you might as well just ignore them.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I cant be in the minority of canceling my account until new content comes out. Its not like Im some hard core power gamer that finishes content in a month. SoO has been around for a minute and is going to be top tier for just as long. If anything, I think WoW has a steady train of the same people that come back at random times and play till they reach boredom. Last year, I would have never thought I would have came back and played for as long as I did nor get as far into Heroic as I did.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Fuck leveling characters, fuck my broke ass credit card.

Lawl, since I already boosted my druid to 90, whats another fun class to level for pve goodness? Looking for melee this time around (druid is resto)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I've been casually following the MMO Champion on expac features, but is there any page or other site which has 'how this spec plays now' type of overviews? It's difficult to tell what the net effect of 19 different alpha patches actually mean to skills and rotations. Just wondering if there's a significant retreat from EQ2 syndrome yet with 4.9 million skills or not.

Insomnia_sl

shitlord
I cant be in the minority of canceling my account until new content comes out. Its not like Im some hard core power gamer that finishes content in a month. SoO has been around for a minute and is going to be top tier for just as long. If anything, I think WoW has a steady train of the same people that come back at random times and play till they reach boredom. Last year, I would have never thought I would have came back and played for as long as I did nor get as far into Heroic as I did.
I cut my sub for the time being. Might even sell my account that has 7 90s and 3 85s to a irl friend is interested in.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Don't forget, they skewed the loss rate prior to MoP a bit with the Diablo 3 for free in exchange for a years sub. I'm wondering if they'll try a similar gimmick prior to WoD.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What? 10 year old product shows standard 10 year old use curve?! Get the fuck out!!!

I've been doing a lot of d3 lately but I'll pop on an hour or two to work on my alts.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Yes I forgot about the expansion "pre-patch" which as far as I know started with MoP so I don't know if I'd say like they always do.
No we had the undead invasion patch pre WOTLK. We had cataclysm pre patch with all the new cata zones and flying in azeroth etc. Pretty sure each of those patches had revamped talent trees and shit as well as all the non new zone stuff.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
No we had the undead invasion patch pre WOTLK. We had cataclysm pre patch with all the new cata zones and flying in azeroth etc. Pretty sure each of those patches had revamped talent trees and shit as well as all the non new zone stuff.
They did it for TBC too. The Dark Portal Opening event... pretty sure that gave the AD tabard with the clicky spell effect.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
fuck I remember that, aoeing undead in Winterspring as a moonkin
I had forgot all about it too. Ive liked most of the events Blizzard has came across. Even the opening of AQ. Though, I cant quite remember what the point of all that shit outside of Gnomeregon or w/e was for, though?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I had forgot all about it too. Ive liked most of the events Blizzard has came across. Even the opening of AQ. Though, I cant quite remember what the point of all that shit outside of Gnomeregon or w/e was for, though?
War effort supplies for the war against the silithid! I remember that!

I remember doing raffles for carries in MC/BWL for turnins and shit. That was great.

Needless

Toe Sucker
The cries people would have if they ever implemented a pre-AQ gathering event again would be comical

Creslin

Trakanon Raider

Don't blame the MBAs for devs making shitty decisions. Most of the things that suck about WoW have to do with shit like the combat quality deteriorating, or them letting the gap between goods and bads grow too big which impacted the games social structure. You can prolly blame the MBAs for pet battles, and prolly garrisons since I bet that will turn out to have a big cash shop component.