World of Warcraft: Current Year

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
So, I just dealt with the worst rager I've ever encountered in an online game, personally, ever. I ditched a CM daily group because they were terrible (10k DPS, stood in everything, etc) and this guy just goes the fuck off on me in tells.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?"
"Are you busy getting blown by your dad you fucking faggot?"
"We all know we're fucking better than you, what kind of stupid fuck do you have to be to walk away?"
"I hope you have a fucking heart attack and die in agony you worthless piece of shit"
"Just fucking kill yourself nobody gives a shit about your worthless ass. Or do you like it when your dad fucks you in the ass? Enough to keep you going? Yeah I bet you're into that shit you fucking demented piece of shit."

15 minutes later I get a tell from a completely different, seemingly unrelated character saying that he'd like to recruit me to his challenge mode team and I should go to <link> if I'm interested and want to fill out an application. (I still have the link and don't mind sharing it, but I'm not sure if I should actually post it here because there might be tons of malicious shit installed on this website.) I go to the link. It appears to be some kind of site where people sell CM carries for real money. I reply back saying I'm not interested and get "Haha you dumb piece of shit, thanks for visiting I just wanted your IP address. I see you live in Michigan. I'm gonna come the fuck down there and rape your whole goddamn family to death you worthless cocksucking shitstain. I'm gonna make them fucking beg that they never had you to piss me off by the time I'm fucking through with them."

30 seconds later my internet mostly dies. Cable modem is still connected, I get on my phone and their connection diagnostic says everything is fine. I can sort of load some data from websites but it's extremely slow. Looks like he's actually proceeded to DDoSing me. I unplug and replug the cable modem and everything's been fine since, probably because you don't keep the same IP on a disconnect and he doesn't know the new one.

So, how worried should I be about some raging asshole actually tracking me down? I'm assuming he can't get my actual address from me just visiting a website.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Get him banned. A bitch like that will probably slit his wrists when wow is taken away.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lol, time to buy this
rrr_img_83552.jpg

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
So, I just dealt with the worst rager I've ever encountered in an online game, personally, ever. I ditched a CM daily group because they were terrible (10k DPS, stood in everything, etc) and this guy just goes the fuck off on me in tells.
So what kind of toxic shit did you tell them before you bounced? People always leave that part out when they narrate meeting other toxic players.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
So what kind of toxic shit did you tell them before you bounced? People always leave that part out when they narrate meeting other toxic players.
"I'm sorry, but the DPS here is terrible, everyone's standing in shit, and I don't feel like failing at this for hours." I dropped before anyone could respond.

DavivMcD

Peasant
Assuming you weren't running any kind of firewall software that logs incoming ip addresses (dunno if the basic Windows one does by default), report the DoS attack to your service provider with as accurate a timeframe as you can. ISPs take things like DoS attacks very seriously and can and do deny service to people they detect perpetrating the attacks. At least if they are in the US. If he's not there's not much they can do besides block his ip, which he can easily change. Also make sure to report that website to them.

As for him physically finding you, not much to worry about there. You can pinpoint someone's address from their ip down to the city, but unless you're the only house within 5 sq. miles he'd have to go door to door and ask hundreds of houses if they just did a CM with him. Besides he's an obvious pussy who would never start shit in real life, so he just harasses people online instead.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
What professions would be best for a returning (hasn't played since Vanilla) Druid? He has zero gold and is unlikely to group/raid much. Thinking skinning/LW to make gear?

Needless

Toe Sucker
definitely get that psychopath banned, tell your ISP about the potential attack etc.

you're also kind of an idiot for going to a random website that a random dude on wow told you to visit lol

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Phishing 101: Don't click on links from strangers.

Also I wouldn't worry about him tracking you, you can't get a real address from an IP address (unless maybe law enforcement, but I'm pretty sure not.)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What professions would be best for a returning (hasn't played since Vanilla) Druid? He has zero gold and is unlikely to group/raid much. Thinking skinning/LW to make gear?
Best way to make gold is gathering. If you're starting from a low level, the low level stuff sells like fucking crazy. Even at 100 I"m selling 100x herbs for around 1000-1500g every couple hours.

Falmer_sl

shitlord

"We all know we're fucking better than you, what kind of stupid fuck do you have to be to walk away?"
"I hope you have a fucking heart attack and die in agony you worthless piece of shit"
"Just fucking kill yourself nobody gives a shit about your worthless ass. Or do you like it when your dad fucks you in the ass? Enough to keep you going? Yeah I bet you're into that shit you fucking demented piece of shit."

15 minutes later I get a tell from a completely different, seemingly unrelated character saying that he'd like to recruit me to his challenge mode team and I should go to <link> if I'm interested and want to fill out an application. (I still have the link and don't mind sharing it, but I'm not sure if I should actually post it here because there might be tons of malicious shit installed on this website.) I go to the link. It appears to be some kind of site where people sell CM carries for real money. I reply back saying I'm not interested and get "Haha you dumb piece of shit, thanks for visiting I just wanted your IP address. I see you live in Michigan. I'm gonna come the fuck down there and rape your whole goddamn family to death you worthless cocksucking shitstain. I'm gonna make them fucking beg that they never had you to piss me off by the time I'm fucking through with them."

30 seconds later my internet mostly dies. Cable modem is still connected, I get on my phone and their connection diagnostic says everything is fine. I can sort of load some data from websites but it's extremely slow. Looks like he's actually proceeded to DDoSing me. I unplug and replug the cable modem and everything's been fine since, probably because you don't keep the same IP on a disconnect and he doesn't know the new one.

So, how worried should I be about some raging asshole actually tracking me down? I'm assuming he can't get my actual address from me just visiting a website.
Do you have his real ID / battlenet tag? (no idea how WoW works nowadays)

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Do you have his real ID / battlenet tag? (no idea how WoW works nowadays)
Not unless WoW automatically saves your chat log somewhere that I don't know about. I was basically ignoring him as it's not exactly uncommon or noteworthy when someone starts spewing obscenities when you ditch a group. Then when I got DoSed it obviously disconnected me from the game and I lost the chat buffer/ability to screenshot it. All I have for evidence at this point is my router log and the website itself.

This is the site he linked me to: Visit at your own peril, mods feel free to edit it out. It looks reasonably professional to be honest, I have no idea how this guy managed to get enough access to it to get my IP and DDoS me.

Brikker

Trump's Staff

Lol at this. You could easily get him banned if you report threats like that, though. Include in the DDoS and the website and it's a sure thing.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So after a few days I went to play again on my lap top. I have done nothing to alter my hardware nor have I added anything new to my computer. The game ran just fine the last time I played last Sunday. Has anybody ever gotten this error? What can be done about it? I already defragged the drive as a precaution.

"The CAS system was unable to initialize:Clienthandler.initialization error.failed to create archive component."

I looked it up and it seems Blizzard does not know what is causing this error and so I was hoping maybe somebody here has already dealt with this problem. The game runs fine on my computer at home so it is not account related.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not unless WoW automatically saves your chat log somewhere that I don't know about. I was basically ignoring him as it's not exactly uncommon or noteworthy when someone starts spewing obscenities when you ditch a group. Then when I got DoSed it obviously disconnected me from the game and I lost the chat buffer/ability to screenshot it. All I have for evidence at this point is my router log and the website itself.

This is the site he linked me to: Visit at your own peril, mods feel free to edit it out. It looks reasonably professional to be honest, I have no idea how this guy managed to get enough access to it to get my IP and DDoS me.
I edited it out