World of Warcraft: Season of Discovery

Your faction and server type?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I beat him on a very limited occasion.

I use that mouse wheel trick. Appreciate you coaching us on that hah

Szeth Szeth I didn't realize you mousewheel'd cleave though, thought you only did Heroic Strike? is up Cleave, down Heroic Strike?
I switched cleave into mousewheel up when tanking stuff like ZG. I kept mousewheel down for cancel HS, for when full world buffs weren't up. Easy enough to switch HS/Cleave around based on single or multiple target. I suppose you could use alt mousewheel or some such for cleave.

Jasker

brown Officer please /brown
I switched cleave into mousewheel up when tanking stuff like ZG. I kept mousewheel down for cancel HS, for when full world buffs weren't up. Easy enough to switch HS/Cleave around based on single or multiple target. I suppose you could use alt mousewheel or some such for cleave.

Cancel for glancing reduction? I suppose I still don't understand.. Rip. I always thought you did it for completion of the HS because of the fluidity of the mouse wheel. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Jasker

I feel so bad he is still attempting to explain this to me years later.

Wait I think I get it, he casts the complete up wheel then cancels with down wheel

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I feel so bad he is still attempting to explain this to me years later.

Wait I think I get it, he casts the complete up wheel then cancels with down wheel
Exactly this. And I'd only ever need to cancel occasionally even without WB.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jasker

Exactly this. And I'd only ever need to cancel occasionally even without WB.

I hate to ask but..

#showtooltip

or /cancel heroic strike

/cancel ?

Edit: stopcasting

Chatgpt has got it:

In World of Warcraft Classic, players sometimes use a technique called "heroic strike queuing" to optimize their warrior's ability usage. The primary objective of heroic strike queuing is to queue up a Heroic Strike before your main-hand weapon swing, allowing it to be executed immediately after the auto-attack lands.

Here's why players might use heroic strike queuing and its benefits:

1. Avoiding Rage Waste: Heroic Strike costs rage to use, and if you have enough rage to use it but not enough to queue it immediately after an auto-attack, you might end up wasting rage. By queuing Heroic Strike, you ensure that it is used as soon as possible after the auto-attack, preventing rage from being wasted.
  2. Optimizing Damage Output: Heroic Strike is a high-damage ability, and using it in conjunction with auto-attacks maximizes your overall damage output. Queuing it allows you to smoothly integrate it into your attack rotation without delay.
  3. Glancing Blow Reduction: You mentioned glancing blows, and this is another aspect. In WoW Classic, when you attack a higher-level target, your attacks may suffer from a glancing blow penalty. Glancing blows deal reduced damage, and queuing Heroic Strike after a white (auto-attack) hit helps mitigate this reduction. The Heroic Strike's damage won't be subject to the glancing blow penalty.
Remember that this technique requires precise timing, as queuing Heroic Strike too early or too late can result in suboptimal rage usage or even a delay in your auto-attack swing timer. Skilled players often use addons to assist with the timing of Heroic Strike queuing.

It's worth noting that game mechanics and player strategies can evolve, so staying informed about class changes and community discussions can help you adapt your playstyle in World of Warcraft Classic.

Timing the queue of Heroic Strike after a white hit is a technique used to reduce the impact of the glancing blow damage penalty in World of Warcraft Classic. The key point here is that when you queue Heroic Strike immediately after a white hit, the damage from Heroic Strike is not subject to the glancing blow penalty.

Now, whether you cancel the Heroic Strike or let it complete doesn't affect the damage of the Heroic Strike itself. The damage of Heroic Strike is determined when it is queued, not when it is executed.

The decision to cancel the Heroic Strike comes into play for rage management. If you realize that you need to use your rage for another ability (such as a more important special attack or an ability that generates threat), canceling the Heroic Strike before it completes allows you to conserve that rage for other actions.

In summary, the timing of queuing Heroic Strike after a white hit is crucial for avoiding the glancing blow penalty. Canceling the Heroic Strike or letting it complete doesn't impact the damage of the Heroic Strike itself; it primarily affects rage management and your ability to use that rage for other actions.

Last edited:

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
wowSOD.jpg

• 13Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 15 users

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
If WSG faction upgrades are a big part of this. I wonder what version of WSG will be in, if it will have some/all the jumps or not? druids running around refusing to cap to fuck with rep seekers will surely happen often either way.

edit: or maybe time limits? i think they were added to BGs later on but iv never made it that far

Last edited:

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
If WSG faction upgrades are a big part of this. I wonder what version of WSG will be in, if it will have some/all the jumps or not? druids running around refusing to cap to fuck with rep seekers will surely happen often either way.

edit: or maybe time limits? i think they were added to BGs later on but iv never made it that far

If they are going to experiment with all of this discovery content, they should introduce more juiced up versions of AB and WSG.

Maybe even add BG buffs to the open world PVP areas.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Discussed some of this on Discord yesterday. Warrior runes are going to accelerate the feedback loop that makes War scale so well even faster than normal in Vanilla. I didn't think too hard on this but constantly enraged and effectively endless rage are going to be LOL.

Maybe I'll just do that.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Discussed some of this on Discord yesterday. Warrior runes are going to accelerate the feedback loop that makes War scale so well even faster than normal in Vanilla. I didn't think too hard on this but constantly enraged and effectively endless rage are going to be LOL.

Maybe I'll just do that.
Yeah I'm definitely making warrior alt after I level my rogue, assuming I even play this. Game looks fun but I'm afraid it's going to be overrun with the full spectrum of toxic trash.

• 1Worf
  • 1Hodjing

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Im really surprised at how many people want to play on a PvE server this time around. I understand why but a lot of the fun I have in WoW is the PvP while exping.

• 2Solidarity

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Im really surprised at how many people want to play on a PvE server this time around. I understand why but a lot of the fun I have in WoW is the PvP while exping.
Same for me, 17 years ago. Today it’s a massive buzzkill 99% of the time.

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 8 users

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
With the proliferation of streamer-gangs and groups/pairs roaming around looking for content; PvP is a shit experience if you're solo when a new server/mode is first starting out and people are leveling.

PvP used to be enjoyable in my opinion.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 3Truth!
Reactions: 7 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
PvP is like shooters for me these days. Fucking awesome when I had the time and desire to play often and try hard. Fucking terrible when I just want to zone out and relax with some chill gaming time like I always do nowadays.

How the hell am I supposed to compete with these kids who play all day and/or professional gamers who actually play games for a living? Has anyone here tried playing a shooter in any competitive capacity since like... 2015? Lol.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
PvP is like shooters for me these days. Fucking awesome when I had the time and desire to play often and try hard. Fucking terrible when I just want to zone out and relax with some chill gaming time like I always do nowadays.

How the hell am I supposed to compete with these kids who play all day and/or professional gamers who actually play games for a living? Has anyone here tried playing a shooter in any competitive capacity since like... 2015? Lol.
My buddies and I win ranked matches on Modern Warfare maybe... every third night we play? I also don't have patience to do the camping shit that kids do. Like you said - we're playing to have fun, how is it fun to sit in a dark corner, using the darkest skin you can pay for (legit everyone who does this has the same skin) and wait 15-20 minutes before doing ANYTHING? Always makes me chuckle, after I have raged.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
With the proliferation of streamer-gangs and groups/pairs roaming around looking for content, PvP is a shit experience if you're solo when a new server/mode is first starting out and people are leveling.

PvP used to be enjoyable in my opinion.
I don't know what anyone would expect to be different when leveling solo on a PVP server. Sometimes you die, sometimes you don't. It's intrinsically part of the PVP server-type to have that struggle while solo leveing to max level, and that's stretching back to OG vanilla. Unless you're on the bad end of a wildly unbalanced server, there are ways to mitigate the risks of PVP while leveling.

Get jumped a couple times by a group of 2-3? Learn to evade and skirt off to a different part of the map or get a group of people to attack them.
Heavy concentration of opposing faction? Go to a different zone.
High levels camping the area? Go to a different zone.

Is some PVP behavior toxic? Yeah, but people playing on PVP servers shouldn't delude themselves into believing they'll have a fair experience every time, that's what BGs and arenas are for. I'm more a "cultivate the up-and-comers" kind of PVPer and be toxic towards those that are the same level.

• 2Like