World of Warcraft: Season of Discovery

Your faction and server type?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
It's fun hunting rogues and druids in Raven Hill.

stalking.PNG

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
absolutely, unequivocally true. 99.99% of all botting/gold selling is directly related to GDKPs and anyone who denies this is fucking retarded or intentionally deluding themselves. The mental gymnastics required to argue against this is ridiculous.

So on servers that do NOT have gdkp going, you would assume way less botting? Doesn't seem the case though, does it?

Gdkp streamlines a lot of ease of gold spending which probably entices the super impulsive and low self control types to buy gold who otherwise probably wouldn't if not for gdkp. Meanwhile, the people who pay for boss runs or other services with gold, are still gold buying whales regardless. So what's more happening is the rmt that had been there and would be there regardless is more in your face due to it. Plus, yes, some autists who it entices to buy gold... but they won't be a majority of the rmt market let alone 99.99%.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
GDKPs dont make sense for BFD unless you want to secure an epic, and even then.

I think those players stop playing as often once they get full BiS. They're basically paying some Asian person to give them gold so they can stop playing their character faster. It's like a retard tax and a weird false sense of accomplishment all in one.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
GDKPs dont make sense for BFD unless you want to secure an epic, and even then.

I think those players stop playing as often once they get full BiS. They're basically paying some Asian person to give them gold so they can stop playing their character faster. It's like a retard tax and a weird false sense of accomplishment all in one.
I think this is the amazing thing about games in general. It's like people who call Hardcore a "waste of time". Dude it's all a fucking waste of time. Sure farming gold isn't fun, but if you just want to get BiS and retire the character is any of it fun to you then? Why not just mentally skip to the end and never play at all lol.

This is a serious mind rot issue in WoW though. How many people get so focused on fucking pixels that they alienate their core friend group and end up quitting the game altogether. It's like we get so focused on the wrong shit we forget why we're even playing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
I think this is the amazing thing about games in general. It's like people who call Hardcore a "waste of time". Dude it's all a fucking waste of time. Sure farming gold isn't fun, but if you just want to get BiS and retire the character is any of it fun to you then? Why not just mentally skip to the end and never play at all lol.

This is a serious mind rot issue in WoW though. How many people get so focused on fucking pixels that they alienate their core friend group and end up quitting the game altogether. It's like we get so focused on the wrong shit we forget why we're even playing.

For me personally, I like to gear up to grief the other faction, and sometimes even my own if possible. That gives me enough content to last a long time.

But to drop serious gold to rush to BiS only to quit a week later? It makes no sense to me, no matter how I try to rationalize it.

Burns

For me personally, I like to gear up to grief the other faction, and sometimes even my own if possible. That gives me enough content to last a long time.

But to drop serious gold to rush to BiS only to quit a week later? It makes no sense to me, no matter how I try to rationalize it.
Lulz, you really are one of the toxic pvpers people were complaining about earlier!

Burns

Doing anything considered griefing is toxic.

Not that I am necessarily against it, as the freer the PvP game system is, the more griefing you are going to get; opting in for PvP means opting in for toxic behavior. Learn to deal with it, or don't PvP, but if people who love PvP ever wonder why it never becomes more than a niche activity, all they need to do is look in the mirror, at how a majority of the PvP players act.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Doing anything considered griefing is toxic.

Not that I am necessarily against it, as the freer the PvP game system is, the more griefing you are going to get; opting in for PvP means opting in for toxic behavior. Learn to deal with it, or don't PvP, but if people who love PvP ever wonder why it never becomes more than a niche activity, all they need to do is look in the mirror, at how a majority of the PvP players act.

Judging by the populations and activity on the SOD PVP servers, I'd say PVP (in all forms) is pretty popular and not a niche activity.

If Blizzard wasn't so fucking gay and stupid, they'd fix the issue of premades vs randoms in BGs, and a lot of open world griefing would subside. Since no one wants to BG because they get constantly griefed by premades, they go out in the world and spread terror to get their PVP fix.

My rogue got griefed earlier by a tank spec rogue. It was the most retarded experience I've had in SoD thus far because of riposte and parry.

Last edited:

Burns

Judging by the populations and activity on the SOD PVP servers, I'd say PVP (in all forms) is pretty popular and not a niche activity.

If Blizzard wasn't so fucking gay and stupid, they'd fix the issue of premades vs randoms in BGs, and a lot of open world griefing would subside. Since no one wants to BG because they get constantly griefed by premades, they go out in the world and spread terror to get their PVP fix.

My rogue got griefed earlier by a tank spec rogue. It was the most retarded experience I've had in SoD thus far because of riposte and parry.
I remember having a great time in Vanilla at our regular pop-up Tauren Mill VS. Southshore battle royals, but just because it was the same 100 to 150 people (rotating in and out) starting shit every Sunday (or when ever it was), in order to keep it regular occurrence, didn't mean it wasn't a niche activity.

Active servers on a "fresh" version of a new play mode, with nothing else to do, is going to feel popular, even though SoD itself is a niche activity, which then only a percentage of those people will participate in PvP.

Hell, WoW, in all forms is probably a niche activity now days, but PvP has always had low participation rates as a percent of the player base, all centered around how useful PvP rewards were for PvE, at the time.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
So on servers that do NOT have gdkp going, you would assume way less botting? Doesn't seem the case though, does it?

Gdkp streamlines a lot of ease of gold spending which probably entices the super impulsive and low self control types to buy gold who otherwise probably wouldn't if not for gdkp. Meanwhile, the people who pay for boss runs or other services with gold, are still gold buying whales regardless. So what's more happening is the rmt that had been there and would be there regardless is more in your face due to it. Plus, yes, some autists who it entices to buy gold... but they won't be a majority of the rmt market let alone 99.99%.
Fucking lol, Wrong.

First off, there are no servers without GDKPs so wtf are you even talking about? But yes, the pervasiveness of GDKPs on a server directly correlate to the amount of botting/scamming that occurs on a server, which you can compare directly against the volume of gold for sale on RMT sites. The price of gold on servers doesn't always correlate to the amount of botting due to supply/demand factors as well as ban waves, but the sheer volume of available RMT gold does directly correlate to the prevalence of GDKPs on individual servers.

The most recent evidence of this was the fresh start WOTLK servers. Maladath was one of the fresh start servers that was made up of mostly returning classic players who had quit or become jaded by GDKPs back in classic/tbc etc. There was an extremely vocal minority(or perhaps even majority) that despised the concept of GDKPs and would mass report anyone who even mentioned them in any public chat, trade, lfg, general, even say/yell.

This is how we learned that WoW classic used automated ban tools and have very few actually CS people because after a certain threshold these players would get temp bans within hours of mentioning GDKP in public channels and it would take days/week+ before you could appeal to a real person to get unbanned. Some even went the full 2 week ban and never got a reply to their appeals.

But nonetheless on this server if you ever mentioned GDKP you would get mass reported and banned so GDKPs were never advertised. They still happened, of course, communicated in whispers in game to like minded players to join their discord but it was a very small community and was never, ever advertised in game.

The amount of botting was almost nonexistent on Maladath but it did happen, but more importantly the volume of gold on RMT sites for maladath was far less than the volume of other fresh start servers (obviously fresh start servers all had less available gold than older servers).

Anyway some people claimed that one of the "Gate keepers" (anti-GDKP ppl) got somehow invited to one of the GDKP discords so had the names of ppl and started mass reporting them, idk if that's true but what did happen is many of the people who participated in GDKPs got banned, some of them permanent bans because they had been previously 2 week banned due to the false mass reporting just for mentioning GDKPs.

Turns out because there was so little botting activity/little GDKPs and so little volume of gold available, that when people went to buy gold from the RMTs the gold farmers were actually just using hacked accounts to meet the "demand" which was coming entirely from the GDKP community. When people logged in to find their accts had been hacked (many of them gold/boost buyers themselves) and reported it, CS would trace the gold and ban the buyers. Those who's accounts were flagged due to previous bans were permanently banned.

Server basically died after this and they opened up free transfers and everyone left. Then of course Blizzard added WoW Tokens to classic so they stopped giving a shit about it.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Blizzard should just sell the gold themselves.

Keep it a variable rate to be able to price out gold sellers. The people willing to participate in those transactions would outweigh those who would get offended and cancel their subscriptions.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I only care about bots in that it takes me 5x longer than it should to finish one goddamn quest, there's always 2-3 weirdly named huntards coming back from the quest mob corpse that I need.

SoD is fun at times, but man WoW classic is one of those MMOs where you actually HATE seeing other people because you know itll slow you down (questing, harvesting etc).

I'm on Wild Growth because fuck PvP servers. I tried one a few weeks back, and one guy friended me just to stalk me in my current zone. They eventually all become one faction sided, then die like they deserve.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
The most recent evidence of this was the fresh start WOTLK servers. Maladath was one of the fresh start servers that was made up of mostly returning classic players who had quit or become jaded by GDKPs back in classic/tbc etc. There was an extremely vocal minority(or perhaps even majority) that despised the concept of GDKPs and would mass report anyone who even mentioned them in any public chat, trade, lfg, general, even say/yell.

This is how we learned that WoW classic used automated ban tools and have very few actually CS people because after a certain threshold these players would get temp bans within hours of mentioning GDKP in public channels and it would take days/week+ before you could appeal to a real person to get unbanned. Some even went the full 2 week ban and never got a reply to their appeals.
Those people who made those false reports should have been perma-banned for abusing the reporting system. Fuck them.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’ve participated in GDKPs in SoD specifically because I have no interest in spending real money for gold and at the moment, it’s a better gold per hour activity than farming in the open world, especially since Blizz ninja-nerfed fishing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
I only care about bots in that it takes me 5x longer than it should to finish one goddamn quest, there's always 2-3 weirdly named huntards coming back from the quest mob corpse that I need.

SoD is fun at times, but man WoW classic is one of those MMOs where you actually HATE seeing other people because you know itll slow you down (questing, harvesting etc).

I'm on Wild Growth because fuck PvP servers. I tried one a few weeks back, and one guy friended me just to stalk me in my current zone. They eventually all become one faction sided, then die like they deserve.

Between leveling, PVPing, and questing for gold, I haven't seen a single bot outside of those who only chain run instances.

If you hate competing with other people in the open world, maybe MMOs aren't the game for you.

• 1Like
  • 1SchwarzeNeg
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Between leveling, PVPing, and questing for gold, I haven't seen a single bot outside of those who only chain run instances.

If you hate competing with other people in the open world, maybe MMOs aren't the game for you.
On Wild Growth US Alliance they were all over Elwynn Forest. They were most noticeable because their names were of the "jsdnfjksdnkzxj" variety. Why a bot network wouldn't randomly sample player name pools or a dictionary or anything idk, but I have to imagine botting crews lost a ton of money from it. I've gotten a handful of "thx for report emails" and I think everyone I reported got hit.

I don't really care because even if Elwynn Forest or other zones is absolutely crammed with bots, because of shards there should never be enough congestion that I can't get mobs, even if it takes longer.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing:
  1. Server options with more authentication required in some manner
  2. Gold for sale directly by Blizzard
If people want to blow $100 so they can quit the game sooner, at least get that $100 toward the game instead of to gold botters clogging up our newbie zones.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Those people who made those false reports should have been perma-banned for abusing the reporting system. Fuck them.
yeah go fuck yourself those people were doing the lord's work keeping my fresh virginal server pure, free from bots and scammers and spam. They should be given medals or have statues erected in their honor.

I think I saw 1 fucking bot running around a cave hitting up mining nodes in my entire 6+ months on Maladath. Only reason I even knew about this shit was early on I asked in lfg about a pug or gdkp cus I missed my guild run that week and I got whispers from like 15+ different people warning me not to mention GDKPs and was given the low down. had never really paid attention before but I made it a point after that and yeah there was never ever mentions of GDKPs.