World of Warcraft: Season of Discovery

Your faction and server type?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm trying to figure out how that works from looking at

It looks like the regeneration spells are specifically nerfed with arcane explosion. What runes and spells would a pair of AE healing mages use?
40% of 80% is still a good number from arcane explosion (or other arcane spells) to self heal. And it’s per mob. When I AoE 6 mobs and each explosion heals for 15-20 per use, that’s not bad. On top of that Living Flame will be active and healing for 5-15 per mob per second as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
40% of 80% is still a good number from arcane explosion (or other arcane spells) to self heal. And it’s per mob. When I AoE 6 mobs and each explosion heals for 15-20 per use, that’s not bad. On top of that Living Flame will be active and healing for 5-15 per mob per second as well.
Cool. maybe I'm misreading but it's 50% of 20% for self-heal on arcane explosion, right?

Records the subject's space-time position. 80% of all Arcane damage done by the caster will be converted to chronomantic healing on each of the caster's current Temporal Beacon targets. This healing is reduced by 50% on self, and also reduced by 80% when damage is done by Arcane Explosion.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cool. maybe I'm misreading but it's 50% of 20% for self-heal on arcane explosion, right?

Records the subject's space-time position. 80% of all Arcane damage done by the caster will be converted to chronomantic healing on each of the caster's current Temporal Beacon targets. This healing is reduced by 50% on self, and also reduced by 80% when damage is done by Arcane Explosion.
You are probably right. I haven’t kept up on the changes to Mage the last month. Still, it’s decent for this phase, but face-tanking AoE will not work phase 2+. Mobs will just hit too hard.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I face tank 10-15 level equivalent mobs at a time while farming when living flame is up. It's OP OP and has made mage brain dead as hell.

Next phase for open world you'll likely be fine still with scaling, gear, abilities to just press living flame/regen and go afk. For elites it'll be more efficient to use blizzard or if they are dickish enough to add caps then back to flame striking to do your aoe farms/boosting.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
So, uh, I guess there just wasn't really botting before gdkp, right?

You can't think of any reason to amass gold except gdkp, or any reason to rmt except for it, so you think it MUST be the cause? Am I wrong? Meanwhile, wow is filled with whales (and so are many games) that will pay for their shit one way or another. Also meanwhile, not everyone is an impulsive autist who NEEDS items that drop and will do anything to get it like buy gold if that's the system.

Bots exist wherever there is a 3rd party market for gold which results in a profit. Gdkp is not the exclusive source of desire for gold, even if you personally can't think past it.

PvP twinks that cost hundreds of gold, mounts, prebis and bis gear. Random ass gear while leveling to have fun, the list goes on and on. Hell back in wow classic me and some friends all spent a couple hundred on gold just to twink our characters while leveling. Always wearing new blues and purples. Didn’t even make it past 50 cause EQ or something launched.
I mean speaking of EQ, it’s not like GDKP is a big thing there except mischief. People spend hundreds on krono all the time.

Played eq with plenty of people who paid for items such as having people run their non-raid alts through raid zones and give over loot. Paid a lot; well over 100 (dozen kr or whatever). In wow, I know this is a thing, because the world first racers have openly talking about the big money that was made from it. So there were people doing it. I saw people advertising stuff like wc runs where you'd just chill at the ent and they'd stealth bosses to get your item - people paying gold for that service. I think some of the rarer items like the hat from hillsbrad were going for high amounts of gold, maybe not 100 but that ballpark?

People who want to rmt are going to rmt if its convenient to rmt. Gdkp is just a means to an end for them. The only way it increases the rmt side is if it in and of itself causes people to buy gold who would not have bought gold except for gdkp's existence.
Man that's a lot of words just to say that I am right and you agree with me. Thank you. tbh i'm kinda embarrassed for you that don't realize this and think this is some sort of "gotcha".

in WoW or any other half way decently designed game the only reason RMT exists is because people want to buy loot. The fact that the entire genre is designed around the buildup and accumulation of loot/shinies/sparkles and is psychologically engineered specifically for that. I'm sure there's some ultra grindy korean mmos out there with super predatory cash shops that make you grind hours a day just to unlock resources or whatever needed to actually just play the game, so maybe ppl might RMT in those games just to play or splerge in their cashshop for "convenience". But for the most part, RMT exists solely to buy loot. I'm glad we are in 100% agreement.

"Buying loot" manifests itself in different ways in games with different loot systems. In old school EQ for example with virtually no items being nodrop/everything being tradable, people RMT for plat to buy tradeable gear. Hell you can probably skip a few steps and just buy gear directly. The chinese dude selling you plat on his website is most likely the same dude sitting in the EC tunnel selling you the fungi tunic you buy with that plat, just save yourself some steps and offer the dude RL cash from the get go (or in modern EQ, krono).

This holds true in any game where gear is mostly tradeable, even tradeable until equipped like early WoW. Once BOE tradeable gear is no longer good/valid/useful (like WoW after about lvl 40 or so, once quest/dungeon/raid loot surpasses it, a few rare items not withstanding) then yeah, people sell runs instead. Dungeon runs early on but as the game matures it ends up being raid loot being sold, with strong guilds able to carry ppl selling "raid slots." This kind of behavior used to be taboo and shunned, akin to RMTing.

The advent and rise of GDKP popularized and mainstreamed this behavior, the selling of loot. When gold is the sole determiner of who gets the loot then obviously the incentive then becomes to just buy gold via RMT so that you can be the one to acquire the shinies. The rise in popularity of buying loot correlates directly with the rise of RMT and the rise in botting behavior and disintegration of server economies due to said botting.

Whenever there is any kind of community enforcement to deter this kind of behavior, whether its public shaming or vocal minority (majority?) abusing automated reporting tools, the end result is that reducing GDKPs has a direct impact on the reduction of bots and RMT, improvement of the server community and the health of its economy.

Saying "people don't GDKP in games that don't require GDKP because loot is tradable" is the most retarded statement i've ever read. No fucking shit dumbass. If I don't have to carry your scrub ass to sell you loot why would I when I can just sell you loot in the AH instead.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My leveling partner (when we aren't spamming dungeons) is a warrior. Wild Strikes and the ability to pop out and heal in between packs of mobs has been insanely powerful.
Tried out the warrior / cat druid combo, worked really well. Mangle seems really strong compared to Claw, which seems like a bigger factor than how wild strikes work with a warrior, given how shitty my warrior's gear is.

Funnily enough I've got a 150 blacksmith, enchanter, leatherworker now, but am too lazy to use them to make and enchant leveling gear so I'm just limping along.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Tried out the warrior / cat druid combo, worked really well. Mangle seems really strong compared to Claw, which seems like a bigger factor than how wild strikes work with a warrior, given how shitty my warrior's gear is.

Funnily enough I've got a 150 blacksmith, enchanter, leatherworker now, but am too lazy to use them to make and enchant leveling gear so I'm just limping along.
In Vanilla, when not leveling with a full group, the Druid and Rogue pair was pretty great, since you can sneak past a whole bunch of shit to get to quest objectives. Shadowmeld on the druid meant they could get out of combat too (I think it worked that way in Vanilla). Also, duoing dungeon bosses while skipping the trash, which was often harder, was fun (spent a bunch of time 2 manning some bosses in Dire Maul)

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
shadowmeld isn't usable in combat (as a mini-vanish) until I think wrath.

• 1Like

Burns

shadowmeld isn't usable in combat (as a mini-vanish) until I think wrath.
Ah, right, it's been a long time. I played the rogue, but the druid always seemed the most OP class in Vanilla, and was thinking he had some way to mess with agro. Maybe it was just the distract/sprint/sap that was allowing us to get past the see stealth trash.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is how we learned that WoW classic used automated ban tools and have very few actually CS people because after a certain threshold these players would get temp bans within hours of mentioning GDKP in public channels and it would take days/week+ before you could appeal to a real person to get unbanned. Some even went the full 2 week ban and never got a reply to their appeals.

That was abused many times on my server when the nef/ony heads were mandatory. Some guilds wanted to get their items and bypass the server buff schedule, so they would mass report the designated dude that was supposed to do the turn in so they could do theirs.
However, one of their members was streaming and everybody heard the "everybody report him now so he get banned!" from the guild leader and a few minutes later everyone in SW gave him a taste of his own medicine.
Fun times. JK, fuck buffs schedule

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is how we learned that WoW classic used automated ban tools and have very few actually CS people because after a certain threshold these players would get temp bans within hours of mentioning GDKP in public channels and it would take days/week+ before you could appeal to a real person to get unbanned. Some even went the full 2 week ban and never got a reply to their appeals.

Both WoW Classic and Live suffer from that, they gutted CS years ago: they closed most localized CS teams and centralized "assets" under a global Activision-Blizzard reorganization initiative to cut costs.

During BFA, Shadowlands and Dragonflight releases I've made a lot of golds farming herbs and put bots in my friends list while doing it. During BFA release it took about 3-10 days to get any obvious bot banned with reports. Nowadays the very same bots I've added to my friends list during Dragonflight release, they're still here, the same fucking names farming herbs, right now they're still in Zaralekk Cavern doing their rounds since Dragonflight day one.

It's not about "they don't care" or "they're making money off of them", it's about cost cutting. Always has been.

Sludig

Just saw follower dungeons. That's a trip. Tell me the loot is at least down grades over normal dungeons. Even if it's perfect for someone like my wife

• 1Dislike

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just saw follower dungeons. That's a trip. Tell me the loot is at least down grades over normal dungeons. Even if it's perfect for someone like my wife
That's not in SoD right?

Dungeons in SoD are so much easier than due to runes.

yerm

Dude, seriously, PLEASE take live wow shit to the live wow thread.

• 4Like
  • 2Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Zaralekk Cavern sounds like some snowflake faggot shit.

I like my caverns in enemy territory and haunted by the wails of mutant creatures spawned by evil druids.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Phase 2 would have been perfect at 7-8 weeks, its so fucking boring now lol
You’re right, phase 1 went too long. However, if they have been using the extra time to improve phase 2+ and add more content and updates, I’m for it.

• 1Like