World of Warcraft: Season of Discovery

Your faction and server type?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am giving SOD Phase 1 a 9/10.

I have five Horde level-25's. Warlock, Rogue, Warrior, Hunter, Shaman. Four of them have 11/12 Runes and my Warlock has 12/12. I have run BFD around 50 times now and most of the characters are either fully BFD'd out or within a piece or two. I have 150 skill in Enchanting, Tailoring, Blacksmithing, Tinkering, Leatherworking. I have done everything and see everything SOD Phase 1 for Horde has to offer, except for the PvP side of it. A little bit in Ashenvale, but not much.

First of all, SOD is a great success because WoW Classic is incredible. SOD is standing on the shoulder's of giant's, but they have still done awesome things with it. The SOD team seems to really know and love the game.

The Runes, new gear, BFD raid, and the economy/trade-skill tweaks add just enough content and chase to keep you playing. WoW is still super fun and a polished experience. I was skeptical at first when they were adding viable tank spec's to so many classes. I thought it would kill the Warrior's value and there would be a glut of tanks. I could not have been more wrong. Full BFD's form and sit for an hour trying to get a tank or two to join them.

Here are my favorite classes:
1. Warlock Tank- Best tank of Phase 1? I think so. Highest HPs/Armor, mitigates the amount of heals needed with Master Channeler/Life Drain, Ranged snap-agro, and your resource bar is mana, which can go from 0% to 100% in less than 10 seconds with Improved Life Tap. And they are either #1 or #2 on the Tank-DPS list, depending on factors. They have all the tools.

2. Rogue DPS- Rogue's are just a blast to play and pretty low stress. Once you get some gear and the big pumper numbers start flying, it is so satisfying. The only thing they have to worry about in Phase 1 is Kick Interrupting and that is a fun mini game of sorts. A bit slower to level when you don't have a group, but they get the job done.

3. Shaman Tank/Heals/DPS- Shaman aren't the best option at any of their roles, but the fact that they can fill any role makes them pretty fun. Each role plays so differently too that the class is never boring. They are a low-floor, high-ceiling with all their Totems, Runes, & Abilities and a good one will bring so much value to your raid. They were a fun and pretty fast level to 25.

4. Warrior Tank/DPS- I wish i could just go DPS on my Warrior, but every raid needs tanks. So, they do a fine and adequate job. It is pretty straight forward and Devastate/Sunder does decent enough damage while dominating agro. Boring and a bit painful to level to 25.

5. Hunter- Meh. They were born OP and they are still OP even after the nerfs. They just stand at range, click their two buttons every 6 seconds and get top 2 or 3 on the DPS charts. The class is dull and only saved by the fact they so OP. By far it was the easiest and fastest to level to 25.

Honorable Mention
1. Druid- I haven't gotten him to 25 yet, but Druids are really great. They are very versatile and can fill all the roles adequately. Wild Strikes and Mangle add so much to raids, that they pretty much essential for any BFD in Phase 1. I could easily see the Druid being my #3 character.

The SOD team took something that was already great and made it better. The 26-40 unlock is 2-3 weeks overdue, but they nailed just about everything else.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
not gonna quote that whole review but I echo many of the same sentiments. i'm rocking 5 dudes as well, 1 horde (Shaman) and 4 alliance (Druid, Hunter, Warrior, Warlock).

I too was a bit worried about tank saturation but found that mostly a non-issue as well. Only paladins can really tank so effortless as warriors can right out of the gate. Of course now that my Warlock and Shaman are properly geared they are absolute beasts for tanking and my warlock especially can switch so effortlessly from tank to gigachad dps with just the swapping of runes, and they are both certainly great tanks now, but my warrior was just as amazing a tank in quest greens and has only gotten better at dps with gear.

I had originally predicted feral druids would come out on or near the top phase 1 when SoD was announced and I don't mind being wrong about that but the truth is I am barely wrong. I'm no match for well geared warriors and the occasional rogue but beyond that typically i'm top damage outside of the few fights that are brutal to melee by design. I chock it up to honestly forgetting how underwhelming the feral toolkit was in vanilla, especially at 25.

And in other news I finally got my damn boots so now i'm full BIS on my druid. In that same run epic staff and 2h sword also both dropped so it must have been RNGeezus looking out.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It’s been great so far and lvl 40+ is going to be even better because all classes will have so much more to work with.

Only semi-letdown for me was Ashenvale. However, the fact they are making that sort of new content is encouraging and I anticipate STV to be properly crazy.

Warrior is definitely main, but struggling to choose between Rogue, Mage, and Druid for sent place.

Needless

Toe Sucker

Im stoked, i was getting real fucking bored of P1 but im mad ready for 2 now~

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some of that stuff is real nice. Hopefully the switching target things they talk about for rogues is also for druid.

Also the 2h mastery for shaman seems insane. 30% attack speed for 10 seconds on any hit? So permanent 30% buff.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Some of that stuff is real nice. Hopefully the switching target things they talk about for rogues is also for druid.

Also the 2h mastery for shaman seems insane. 30% attack speed for 10 seconds on any hit? So permanent 30% buff.
i'm curious what the math would be on whats better, but also 30% attack speed with a ravager from SM and WF would be fun for sure
double rockbiter is incredibly dull but it gives too much AP not to

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
i can't believe they grew a pair and are officially shutting down the gdkps. i mean they'll still happen ofc but this seems like a pretty big move for them. maybe the sod team is siloed now and it's gonna be a party from here on out.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
i can't believe they grew a pair and are officially shutting down the gdkps. i mean they'll still happen ofc but this seems like a pretty big move for them. maybe the sod team is siloed now and it's gonna be a party from here on out.
You mean they caved to the whining retards on the blizz forums, Reddit, etc. as usual. Looking forward to the era of speakeasy GDKPs because we all know how Prohibition turned out.

• 4Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 4 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
Thinking about that melee specialization hunter rune, it seems super over tuned doesn’t it? A 3 second CD instant attack on raptor strike with flanking strike resets and wind fury seems absolutely bonkers

you wouldn’t lack aoe with carve and trap launcher: explosive trap either plus staying BM your pets still gonna shit out damage (maybe even more so if you’re procing flanking strike resets way more often too)

I think I’m actually gonna try melee hunter now unless there’s hidden runes that will make marksman great again

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You mean they caved to the whining retards on the blizz forums, Reddit, etc. as usual. Looking forward to the era of speakeasy GDKPs because we all know how Prohibition turned out.
It significantly reduced alcohol consumption until it got overturned by recently enfranchised and suggestible women?

Kaines

Potato Supreme
It's good to know there will not be a single bot or gold seller on SoD servers in P2.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I'm pretty hyped for P2. Don't need to take Thursday off as I am home by then anyways, but Friday - Sunday is gonna be spergin' time.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thinking about that melee specialization hunter rune, it seems super over tuned doesn’t it? A 3 second CD instant attack on raptor strike with flanking strike resets and wind fury seems absolutely bonkers

you wouldn’t lack aoe with carve and trap launcher: explosive trap either plus staying BM your pets still gonna shit out damage (maybe even more so if you’re procing flanking strike resets way more often too)

I think I’m actually gonna try melee hunter now unless there’s hidden runes that will make marksman great again
I never saw the point in melee hunter. Just play a melee class if you aren’t going to shoot?

• 2Solidarity

Jasker

brown Officer please /brown
Ashenvale Updates

Ashenvale will be moving to a 3-hour timer as well with Phase 2. The weekly quest world buff will not apply to players after level 39.

Is this supposed to mean you cant rep for WSG in ashenvale past revered now with the token that drops? Or you just wont get a buff item from the turn in?

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ashenvale Updates

Ashenvale will be moving to a 3-hour timer as well with Phase 2. The weekly quest world buff will not apply to players after level 39.

Is this supposed to mean you cant rep for WSG in ashenvale past revered now with the token that drops? Or you just wont get a buff item from the turn in?
You wont be able to use the buff scroll is how it sounds

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I am giving SOD Phase 1 a 9/10.
Would you want them to introduce harder content to SoD? Ex: add "mythic" raids, or decrease the level requirement of gear (to motivate people to do the harder content for gear).

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Would you want them to introduce harder content to SoD? Ex: add "mythic" raids, or decrease the level requirement of gear (to motivate people to do the harder content for gear).
When we a finally hit 60? Yes.

During the intermediate grinds as we progress through levels? No.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I never saw the point in melee hunter. Just play a melee class if you aren’t going to shoot?
Options are nice. Rogues are boring and at the top level there’s way too many wars in a 40 man

gimme dual spec so I can do both