World of Warcraft: Season of Discovery

Your faction and server type?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
It's good to know there will not be a single bot or gold seller on SoD servers in P2.
I know you posted this sarcastically but it is is pretty much a given and we're likely to see bot farms moving back to normal classic or retail. depending on how well they enforce it we're likely to see 80-85% reduction in bot activity in SoD just by banning GDKPs.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Options are nice. Rogues are boring and at the top level there’s way too many wars in a 40 man

gimme dual spec so I can do both
Dual Spec is something we really do need. I was hopeful it would be available at 40.

• 2Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I know you posted this sarcastically but it is is pretty much a given and we're likely to see bot farms moving back to normal classic or retail. depending on how well they enforce it we're likely to see 80-85% reduction in bot activity in SoD just by banning GDKPs.
I'm glad you posted a specific amount so we can cone back here in a month and check on this.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Bots are gonna stay where the playerbase is, which is SOD and maybe retail. Even without GDKPs i dont see that changing unless they really did find a way to detect and autoban them which i highly doubt lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I'm glad you posted a specific amount so we can cone back here in a month and check on this.
If they really dont enforce anything then obviously nothing will change. If they temp or even perm ban anyone who mentions the word gdkp in any chat channel then yes absolutely the bots will leave when there arent any buyers. Gdkp is the only reason buyers exist. Of course there will still be gdkp organized outside of game in discord etc so there will still be some botting activity, but they will be limited if they truly enforce the ban. We'll see if this is just a hollow gesture or if they are committed to actually enforcing this for a while to see the impact on bots.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Moron

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Gdkp is the only reason buyers exist.
This is a factually untrue statement. Buyers exist for dungeon boosts, level boosts, and just random gold buying for AH items. To think GDKP was the only outlet a gold seller had is completely moronic.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
They claim to have "multiple detection methods for GDKP that are effective both inside and outside of dungeon or raid instances."

Obviously these methods will be shit because Blizzard is incompetent, but it shows how keen they are to always throw the baby out with the bathwater. Let's go to absurd lengths to sanction and restrict the most basic functionality of a multiplayer game just because some slackjawed have-nots screeched about it online. Failures all around.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure someone can give me a compelling argument to make me care about gold sales or GDKP raids in WoW classic.

Everything is instanced. Every person outside of your own guild might as well be a bot. The geared people on my faction just make my PUGs easier and I don't PvP the other faction. The world and leveling paths are setup to give you enough tradeskill materials to get your chosen professions done. Everything in WoW is so fucking easy that I will just do it and I will laugh at the losers that have to buy it.

So, why again am I supposed to care if a bunch of Food Stampers give their sheckles to Chinese bot farmers? It hasn't hurt the quality of product that WoW is or my experience in any way. It is natural selection of the Dumb Poor's choosing to remain poor. You can't help these people. They are retarded.

Needless

Toe Sucker
the tears in amphy's chat of collective tards is pretty funny to read, i love seeing dumbass streamers lose

• 2Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not sure someone can give me a compelling argument to make me care about gold sales or GDKP raids in WoW classic.

Everything is instanced. Every person outside of your own guild might as well be a bot. The geared people on my faction just make my PUGs easier and I don't PvP the other faction. The world and leveling paths are setup to give you enough tradeskill materials to get your chosen professions done. Everything in WoW is so fucking easy that I will just do it and I will laugh at the losers that have to buy it.

So, why again am I supposed to care if a bunch of Food Stampers give their sheckles to Chinese bot farmers? It hasn't hurt the quality of product that WoW is or my experience in any way. It is natural selection of the Dumb Poor's choosing to remain poor. You can't help these people. They are retarded.
The most compelling argument that I have seen is in regards to bots taking over an area that kill every quest mob before you can tag it or harvest every node so you cant do trade skills. Vanilla in particular had more limited places to get certain trade skill items (like skinning special scales from two or three mob types). As for quest, sure you might be able to go somewhere else, but the way travel times are in vanilla, you are probably spending at least 20 minutes traveling to a new zone, which would irritate me, to say the least.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The most compelling argument that I have seen is in regards to bots taking over an area that kill every quest mob before you can tag it or harvest every node so you cant do trade skills. Vanilla in particular had more limited places to get certain trade skill items (like skinning special scales from two or three mob types). As for quest, sure you might be able to go somewhere else, but the way travel times are in vanilla, you are probably spending at least 20 minutes traveling to a new zone, which would irritate me, to say the least.
Never experienced this on Wildgrowth Horde SOD. Even when it was at its peak busy times. Maybe I outpaced the bot armies? But I leveled five 25's (soon to be six) and never ran into anything that was disruptive to my play or leveling path.

I found the botters in EQ to be far more disruptive to my play experience because the systems of the game made it so. And I wanted those fuckers nuked from orbit. So I get the rage on the topic, but not in WoW where the game systems mitigate the impact for players like me.

• 2Moron
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
The most compelling argument that I have seen is in regards to bots taking over an area that kill every quest mob before you can tag it or harvest every node so you cant do trade skills.
And like most compelling arguments it’s predicated on bullshit. I’ve never once encountered bots monopolizing questing spots, they do the majority of their mob killing inside instances.

As for open world nodes, even in the unlikely event that bots have stripmined them it actually makes tradeskills easier to do because it’s more efficient to just buy the mats than collect them yourself.

• 2Moron

Burns

Never experienced this on Wildgrowth Horde SOD. Even when it was at its peak busy times. Maybe I outpaced the bot armies? But I leveled five 25's (soon to be six) and never ran into anything that was disruptive to my play or leveling path.

I found the botters in EQ to be far more disruptive to my play experience because the systems of the game made it so. And I wanted those fuckers nuked from orbit. So I get the rage on the topic, but not in WoW where the game systems mitigate the impact for players like me.
Recently, I only know of the BoT misdeeds from videos put out by the likes of Asmond, as I am not playing SoD.

I have seen and competed (usually farming nodes) with bots throughout my times playing retail wow though, and while a bit frustrating at times, it never got out of hand on my backwoods server, like some of the videos I have seen from high pop servers.

That said, since there aren't really servers anymore, during the first month of Dragonflight the bots were causing a ruckus in one particular zone. The bots combined with an event that everyone was going to was causing huge slowdowns/lag as they had whole shards full of boomkins farming leather at a hyperspawn location that was slow to get fixed. Without the event, there were server lag spikes in the zone, but when the even was going, it was damned near unplayable sometimes.

Last edited:

Burns

And like most compelling arguments it’s predicated on bullshit. I’ve never once encountered bots monopolizing questing spots, they do the majority of their mob killing inside instances.

As for open world nodes, even in the event that bots have stripmined them it actually makes tradeskills easier to do because it’s more efficient to just buy the mats than collect them yourself.
Well, first, even when having a healthy stack of gold, I liked to farm my own mats when I was just making stuff for myself. Second, my server had jacked up prices, where bots didn't seem to deflate the cost of mats nearly as much as other servers. There were farm bots running, but not enough to flood out the market to where the AH "bots" couldn't make money buying mats low and relisting higher.

The only time I have really bought mats on my server's AH (before the merge) was in Shadowlands, when I had leather/mail/plate recipes a couple weeks before anyone else (outside of 1 selling plate).

Last edited:

Needless

Toe Sucker
wowhead is filled to the brim with phase 2 datamined shit btw if you want to see what changes are happening and whats new.
very good QOL shit thats fo rsure

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>

You asked for a compelling argument, were given multiple valid reasons, then you decided "Hurr durr I don't see it....durr" Ok fucking retard go back to licking windows, just because you are too blind and/or dumb to notice shit doesn't mean it isn't happening or doesn't impact you or the server you play on. If you kill mobs, do tradeskills, or ever open the AH then yes you are detrimentally impacted by botting and other RMT behavior.

As for open world nodes, even in the unlikely event that bots have stripmined them it actually makes tradeskills easier to do because it’s more efficient to just buy the mats than collect them yourself.
Look at this retard.

The most compelling reason against bots is that it destroys the economy but more importantly your individual relationship to it. It floods the market with anything bottable, including tradeskill items from nodes, so yes that hyper inflation of mats it does make it "cheap" to level tradeskills (though the effect of that is that everyone levels tradeskills so it's no longer as valuable and you can't earn money from tradeskills anymore) but more importantly that's a fools trade.

The average player generates gold from 2 sources, a: questing while leveling which is a finite resource and ultimately irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, and b: farming, whether for mats/items to sell to players or trash to sell to vendors. Botting/RMT activities result in 10x the amount of raw gold in the economy because a bot running 500 clients per box is generating 500x more gold than you are just from vendor trash, and they are doing it 24/7 completely automated.

The result is players ability to generate gold is massively deflated because bots keep anything farmable cheap AF on the AH and due to the order of magnitude increase in total gold in the economy anything you'd want to buy with gold (rares, boes, etc) becomes massively inflated.

Before where you could spend an hour farming herbs/killing mobs to afford your consumables for the whole raid week or poopsock for a weekend and earn enough to buy that +1 gooder sword but now your time is only worth 1/10 as much as it was before bots and the items you want to buy also cost 10x so you are left with very little methods to legitimately earn gold in game.

Like I said before I don't have a problem with GDKPs I actually run them weekly myself but you're a fucking idiot if you don't see the direct causal relationship between GDKPs and RMTing and I am super excited that they are at least pretending that they will try and do something about them.

Not to say the arguments for GDKP aren't valid. It's nice to at least get something from your lockout if you don't get any loot, and yeah it's nice to offer incentives to keep geared players playing. I mean maybe don't feed all the best drops to your tanks right out the gate and then complain that none of the tanks in guild are showing up to raids later down the road? but yeah, it provides motivation for geared players to keep playing. But given a choice between convincing some spoiled timmy to keep raid logging for a few extra weeks or getting rid of botters i'd choose getting rid of botters 100 times out of 100 so yeah, if they can actually legitimately enforce no GDKPs then fuck yes, do it.

80% of people who participate in GDKPs do so for good and valid reasons. However the other 20% are bad actors which contribute to or participate in the RMT that destroys the game for everyone else. Some of them are just whales swiping CCs and feeding the bots, the others are organizers/etc who are skimming or taking their organizers cut and just turning it over to the gold sellers themselves.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
They claim to have "multiple detection methods for GDKP that are effective both inside and outside of dungeon or raid instances."

Obviously these methods will be shit because Blizzard is incompetent, but it shows how keen they are to always throw the baby out with the bathwater. Let's go to absurd lengths to sanction and restrict the most basic functionality of a multiplayer game just because some slackjawed have-nots screeched about it online. Failures all around.
I don't think it would really be that hard. GDKP involves a LOT of gold transfer, and there really aren't very many legitimate reasons to transfer hundreds of gold from account to account.

No idea how their database is structured but I bet I could do a query that pulls out all gold transfers over say, 50g, correlate those with transfers done within a certain time of being in a dungeon, and then have an intern review those and flag the ones that are obvious gdkp. Ban a few sets of them and people will stop doing it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I don't think it would really be that hard. GDKP involves a LOT of gold transfer, and there really aren't very many legitimate reasons to transfer hundreds of gold from account to account.

No idea how their database is structured but I bet I could do a query that pulls out all gold transfers over say, 50g, correlate those with transfers done within a certain time of being in a dungeon, and then have an intern review those and flag the ones that are obvious gdkp. Ban a few sets of them and people will stop doing it.
If it's anything like D4, transactions are stored as hidden items in player inventory already.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
You asked for a compelling argument, were given multiple valid reasons, then you decided "Hurr durr I don't see it....durr" Ok fucking retard go back to licking windows, just because you are too blind and/or dumb to notice shit doesn't mean it isn't happening or doesn't impact you or the server you play on. If you kill mobs, do tradeskills, or ever open the AH then yes you are detrimentally impacted by botting and other RMT behavior.

Look at this retard.

The most compelling reason against bots is that it destroys the economy but more importantly your individual relationship to it. It floods the market with anything bottable, including tradeskill items from nodes, so yes that hyper inflation of mats it does make it "cheap" to level tradeskills (though the effect of that is that everyone levels tradeskills so it's no longer as valuable and you can't earn money from tradeskills anymore) but more importantly that's a fools trade.

The average player generates gold from 2 sources, a: questing while leveling which is a finite resource and ultimately irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, and b: farming, whether for mats/items to sell to players or trash to sell to vendors. Botting/RMT activities result in 10x the amount of raw gold in the economy because a bot running 500 clients per box is generating 500x more gold than you are just from vendor trash, and they are doing it 24/7 completely automated.

The result is players ability to generate gold is massively deflated because bots keep anything farmable cheap AF on the AH and due to the order of magnitude increase in total gold in the economy anything you'd want to buy with gold (rares, boes, etc) becomes massively inflated.

Before where you could spend an hour farming herbs/killing mobs to afford your consumables for the whole raid week or poopsock for a weekend and earn enough to buy that +1 gooder sword but now your time is only worth 1/10 as much as it was before bots and the items you want to buy also cost 10x so you are left with very little methods to legitimately earn gold in game.

Like I said before I don't have a problem with GDKPs I actually run them weekly myself but you're a fucking idiot if you don't see the direct causal relationship between GDKPs and RMTing and I am super excited that they are at least pretending that they will try and do something about them.

Not to say the arguments for GDKP aren't valid. It's nice to at least get something from your lockout if you don't get any loot, and yeah it's nice to offer incentives to keep geared players playing. I mean maybe don't feed all the best drops to your tanks right out the gate and then complain that none of the tanks in guild are showing up to raids later down the road? but yeah, it provides motivation for geared players to keep playing. But given a choice between convincing some spoiled timmy to keep raid logging for a few extra weeks or getting rid of botters i'd choose getting rid of botters 100 times out of 100 so yeah, if they can actually legitimately enforce no GDKPs then fuck yes, do it.

80% of people who participate in GDKPs do so for good and valid reasons. However the other 20% are bad actors which contribute to or participate in the RMT that destroys the game for everyone else. Some of them are just whales swiping CCs and feeding the bots, the others are organizers/etc who are skimming or taking their organizers cut and just turning it over to the gold sellers themselves.
The problem with your argument is that banning GDKP isn't going to have the massive affect on bots / RMT that you think it will. Those whales aren't just going to stop buying gold. They were using GDKP because that is where the best items they could buy were located. Instead of GDKP, the best items will come from dungeon boosts(still not a bannable offense). You thinking banning GDKP is going to somehow break the botters is just wishful thinking on your part and a complete lack of understanding of the RMT / Gold buying community.