World of Warcraft: Current Year

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
While everyone else not multiboxing can just skin everything the multiboxer just killed for them.
If the one killing the mob has skinning as a profession, then the mob is tagged to that char and can't be skinned by random people.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I was able to kill and skin a mob every 5 seconds without end just with my one hunter in early BFA. It wasn't worth the effort because skins weren't worth fuck-all. Would such a thing be worth it if you could automate a bunch of clients to do it all-day long? Sure, but then you're botting and not just multi-boxing which is a whole different story.

And let's be honest here: Who gives a flying fuck about the economy in this game after the horseshit they pulled with mission tables flooding the game with trillions of gold earnable with practically zero effort, causing runaway inflation on anything that matters while everything else stagnates at vendor value because Blizzard raped crafting professions for a decade making them pointless and removing nearly all demand for materials in the process, and the ones that aren't worthless cost what they cost because a handful of losers are spending their day using TSM to control the market with a few rolls of the mousewheel.

But yeah, the 20-50k multiboxers across the entire playerbase are the ones ruining the economy

external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If the one killing the mob has skinning as a profession, then the mob is tagged to that char and can't be skinned by random people.

Kinda. As soon as it is looted, it becomes free for all, and you cant skin a mob with loot on it. If someone was taking the time to multibox, that should mean they are killing 5+ mobs at a time, but only able to skin 1 at a time. So, once they AoE loot, all the corpses become FFA, and people could easily snipe them.

The most complaints on MMO-Champ, that I have read were that, on high pop servers, they had multiple teams of druids flying around looting all the herbs (and leaving the ore(?)). I am not sure how that is any different than being 2+ seconds behind someone, as I thought you only had a few seconds to loot the node after the first loot has happened.

Rime

<Donor>
The biggest issue with the multiboxers were the Zin herb farm in Nazjatar and the swarms of Moonkins farming every possible leather spot in the expansion.

It is also why so many 'vendor shuffles' were nerfed. The botters were crafting things with those skins and just vendoring them, once they had killed the market on selling the skins.

Botters were (in my limited experience) more interested in passive, out of the way farms. Usually for RAW Gold by running instances.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
The takeaway from this boxing discussion is twofold. People are strange, and people ruin everything.

• 2Like

Daidraco

If multiboxing had no effect on the market, and they didnt bother any players - then why is it banned again?

• 1Worf

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I never had issues with multiboxers on live but in classic they for sure sucked.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Did they change that too? Because as soon as it was looted it was skinnable by anyone. Skinning was literally the worst profession for any multiboxer to take. By far the worst argument anyone could make against multiboxers.

Mist loves to throw "Do you even play the game" in people's faces in this thread. When it's clear it has no idea what it's talking about. There has never been AoE skinning and skinning is the least affected profession of any by multiboxing.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Daidraco

If multiboxing had no effect on the market, and they didnt bother any players - then why is it banned again?

I already covered that, read up.

Expand on how Multiboxers ruin the economy for everyone else. I would agree with you in a game world like EQ where nothing was instanced and some schmuck with 10 characters could permacamp contested mobs and have a monopoly on certain resources but in WoW? How?

And even if they could, that is Blizzard's fault. Did you ever join a "seed raid" in Legion? They were not boxers, but they were exploiting the changes Blizzard made during Legion with multi-tapping. Boxers cannot ruin an economy in a game that not only allows, but promotes mechanic exploitation.

Just look at the release of BFA where people were creating 40 person raids to farm world drop mounts because they could create hyperspawns that increased EVERYONE's chances at getting the mount. Look at Garrison fishing exploitation in WoD where people created instanced, in garrison raids to constantly spawn the murloc that everyone could tap for loot.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Not covered.
Classic is a good example of where multiboxers negatively impact the experience for other players. Retail is not. Economies of scale are good for individuals in a game world where the individual is not hampered but rather benefits from multi-tapping. It's almost impossible for a multiboxer in retail to prevent an individual from also getting the resources they are after.
Not covered.
Mist clearly doesn't understand "Economies of scale". More people will enjoy the fruits of cheaper materials than will be hurt by their profits being lower from gathering.
Not covered.
The more people gathering the faster nodes respawn. It's how retail WoW works. "Struggling to find herbs" is literally not a thing in retail WoW. Ever.
Not covered.
I'm surprised this conversation devolved into "Are multiboxers and bots really all that different?"

The answer is yes, vastly. And if you disagree you may want to consider one requires a human at a keyboard actually playing the game, and the other does not.

Anyway. Multiboxers absolutely can harm the well being of a game's economy AND player satisfaction/ability to actually play the game. There are many games where this is the case. Retail WoW is not one of those games.
Not covered.
Hahahahaahaha. There is not a single multiboxer who would ever take skinning since multiboxing doesn't net you more skins.

My god you couldn't have picked a worse example.

"Hey you can only skin each mob once right?"
"Yes"
"Maybe I should pay for 5 accounts and try skinning then"
"Ummm... are you retarded?"
Not covered.
Yea, and the multiboxer can only skin one at a time. While everyone else not multiboxing can just skin everything the multiboxer just killed for them.

My god you're dumb. And so are the multiboxers wasting their time on that shit.

EDIT: Also, did they finally add AoE skinning to WoW after I quit? Because that was never a thing, ever. It's one corpse at a time.
Not covered.
Did they change that too? Because as soon as it was looted it was skinnable by anyone. Skinning was literally the worst profession for any multiboxer to take. By far the worst argument anyone could make against multiboxers.

Mist loves to throw "Do you even play the game" in people's faces in this thread. When it's clear it has no idea what it's talking about. There has never been AoE skinning and skinning is the least affected profession of any by multiboxing.
Not covered.

Did I miss one? I dont see a single claim of why Blizzard changed it to a bannable offense. Just a lot of banter of how others ideas are more trivial than yours.

Last edited:

Dalien

Registered Hodor
As others have said, it's probably to make it harder for the top 0.01% to keep 4 of the same class relevant.

• 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The more people gathering the faster nodes respawn. It's how retail WoW works. "Struggling to find herbs" is literally not a thing in retail WoW. Ever.

I don't think that's completely accurate anymore because during BFA release the Tiragarde circuit dried up quite fast with more people joining the route everyday with their lvl 100 alts. On a Tiragarde Warmode OFF zone, early morning (6 to 9) you got almost all the nodes, while as soon as midday hits it was starting to get scarce. On my high pop server there definitely was struggle to farm herbs when new raids were released.

A better example is Nazjatar from 8.2 release to a few months ago, you can fly the Zin route for several minutes without picking anything while there's 3-10 flocks of 6-8 druids going around, hovering like vultures. The "more players = faster respawn" mechanic might exist, but I think it probably also works with caps and diminishing returns. That's why, I think, at some point when there's too much gathering going around, scarcity happens.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Did they change that too? Because as soon as it was looted it was skinnable by anyone.
Kinda. As soon as it is looted, it becomes free for all, and you cant skin a mob with loot on it.
That was changed sometime, I think without Blizzard telling in the patch notes. Tried it out with my two accounts (yes yes, evil multiboxer), and it works like this:

If two characters tag a mob (not in a group):
  1. No one has skinning: Mob is FFA for skinning afterwards.
  2. One char has skinning: Mob is locked for skinning to that char. Players that have skinning, but did not tag the mob (did not participate in the kill) can TRY to skin the mob, but it does not yield any leather.
  3. Both chars have skinning: The first one to tag can skin that mob.
Bonus: The first character can skin the mob without the second character needing to loot the mob. The mob disappears after skinning, but is still visible to the other characters that can loot it. As soon as they loot it, it disappears for them, too.

• 1Like

Burns

I don't think that's completely accurate anymore because during BFA release the Tiragarde circuit dried up quite fast with more people joining the route everyday with their lvl 100 alts. On a Tiragarde Warmode OFF zone, early morning (6 to 9) you got almost all the nodes, while as soon as midday hits it was starting to get scarce. On my high pop server there definitely was struggle to farm herbs when new raids were released.

A better example is Nazjatar from 8.2 release to a few months ago, you can fly the Zin route for several minutes without picking anything while there's 3-10 flocks of 6-8 druids going around, hovering like vultures. The "more players = faster respawn" mechanic might exist, but I think it probably also works with caps and diminishing returns. That's why, I think, at some point when there's too much gathering going around, scarcity happens.

They might have changed it after the 8.1.5 (?) Alchemy tradeskill tool debacle.

For those that don't know:
The tool allowed anyone with the tool to loot cauldrons that were peppered throughout the world and you could get anything from Flasks to Invis pots to a cauldron (low % chance) from it. It was a node, just like any herb or ore, but on its own set, with ~12 scattered around the zone. For about 5 to 7 days (don't remember exactly), they had it set up where at least 1 cauldron node had to be spawned at all times. So, by the 3rd day of being live, there were more than enough people to sit at every spawn point in a zone, clicking as it spawned; making that 1 insta respawn requirement travel around the zone, respawning each node almost as soon as the looted one despawned.

All you needed to do, to autoloot, was set up a repeating macro in the "approved" Razor or Logitech software. One guy in a friends guild, in the last 24ish hours before they nerfed it, looted 6 to 8 stacks of cauldrons and easily 30+ stacks of each flask and potion.

That was changed sometime, I think without Blizzard telling in the patch notes. Tried it out with my two accounts (yes yes, evil multiboxer), and it works like this:

If two characters tag a mob (not in a group):
  1. No one has skinning: Mob is FFA for skinning afterwards.
  2. One char has skinning: Mob is locked for skinning to that char. Players that have skinning, but did not tag the mob (did not participate in the kill) can TRY to skin the mob, but it does not yield any leather.
  3. Both chars have skinning: The first one to tag can skin that mob.
Bonus: The first character can skin the mob without the second character needing to loot the mob. The mob disappears after skinning, but is still visible to the other characters that can loot it. As soon as they loot it, it disappears for them, too.

Interesting. The wonders of phasing technology, I guess. Still, one skinning per corpse seems like it wouldn't be much faster for a multiboxer over any regular boomkin spamming Moonfire.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Its believed the biggest reason for this change is that hardcore guilds were using multiboxing to trivialize Shadowlands. Basically, they would level up multiple characters of the same class, pick different covenants, and then use the best ones. It also made it easier for them consolidate gear to a "main raider" character because they could do Mythic+ with them. Throw in Targhast, which is supposed to be their big attraction of Shadowlands, but could be grinded pretty hard to farm stuff for gear upgrades using multiboxing, and you understand why they did it.

Blizzard NEVER makes decisions to benefit the players, its always about protecting their "vision", and making sure everything is as grindy and time-consuming as possible. Multi-boxing helped to counter that.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sorry if I missed it. Is multi-boxing banned or just input broadcasting software? What if you just alt-tab with a couple of accounts?

I don't multi-box in WoW but did in EQ for a while. But just did the alt tab thing with 2 or 3 accounts. Fairly inefficient and far from pro level. But it was fun for a while and extended my EQ career.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Just the input software. The creator of isboxer apparently said they’re now detecting it and sending out warnings.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Its believed the biggest reason for this change is that hardcore guilds were using multiboxing to trivialize Shadowlands. Basically, they would level up multiple characters of the same class, pick different covenants, and then use the best ones. It also made it easier for them consolidate gear to a "main raider" character because they could do Mythic+ with them. Throw in Targhast, which is supposed to be their big attraction of Shadowlands, but could be grinded pretty hard to farm stuff for gear upgrades using multiboxing, and you understand why they did it.

Blizzard NEVER makes decisions to benefit the players, its always about protecting their "vision", and making sure everything is as grindy and time-consuming as possible. Multi-boxing helped to counter that.

lol what? Multiboxing only benefits the poop socks that are multiboxing. It's toxic and ridiculous to see a stack of druids or whatever gobbling everything in sight up. This benefits the MAJORITY of players.