World of Warcraft: Current Year

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The reason multiboxers hurt the economy is they drive down the value of any mats gathered during normal gameplay to basically nothing.

At this point, Blizzard should allow people to just take every gathering skill, since gathering skills as a source of income are just pointless vs multiboxers.
Botters cause this issue, not multiboxers.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Botters cause this issue, not multiboxers.
I would wager that they are pretty much the same thing. Some stark differences, sure. But the end result - if you have 5 boxes going and you're controlling one... how are the other 4 not bots?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I would wager that they are pretty much the same thing. Some stark differences, sure. But the end result - if you have 5 boxes going and you're controlling one... how are the other 4 not bots?
One requires input from a person and the other does not. Are you botting if you press two keyboard keys at the same time instead of one?

• 1Picard

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Anyway, I get the argument against multiboxers for many aspects of the game. They cause serious issues in some of those areas. Farming nodes is not one of those. The amount of boxers is far too low, let alone ones that spend their time farming, and then let alone the ones that run enough clients to bring in sufficient mats to cause even the slightest blip in the economy.

This is a game of teleporting under-terrain bots that can hit a node every 5 seconds. A boxer running 40 clients couldn't keep up with a single one of them.

And let's not forget the instance bots and the jumping automated boomkin groups that camp out in fast-respawn areas generating vendor gold every 3-10 seconds that floods into the economy, causing severe inflation.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anyway, I get the argument against multiboxers for many aspects of the game. They cause serious issues in some of those areas. Farming nodes is not one of those. The amount of boxers is far too low, let alone ones that spend their time farming, and then let alone the ones that run enough clients to bring in sufficient mats to cause even the slightest blip in the economy.

This is a game of teleporting under-terrain bots that can hit a node every 5 seconds. A boxer running 40 clients couldn't keep up with a single one of them.

And let's not forget the instance bots and the jumping automated boomkin groups that camp out in fast-respawn areas generating vendor gold every 3-10 seconds that floods into the economy, causing severe inflation.
Farming nodes is not the concern with multiboxing, it's mostly Skinning. Multiboxing destroys the economy for leather and hides.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Farming nodes is not the concern with multiboxing, it's mostly Skinning. Multiboxing destroys the economy for leather and hides.
Do you have anything at all to back this up? Because you're speaking like you've never multiboxed in WoW before. If you had, you would know how much of a PITA it is to get anything other than focused character to interact with a specific corpse, let alone skin it. And since when can you skin a corpse more than once? A single player can kill faster than their ability to skin, let alone multiboxers.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Do you have anything at all to back this up? Because you're speaking like you've never multiboxed in WoW before. If you had, you would know how much of a PITA it is to get anything other than focused character to interact with a specific corpse, let alone skin it. And since when can you skin a corpse more than once? A single player can kill faster than their ability to skin, let alone multiboxers.
In retail you can skin multiple corpses at once, it's AE like multi loot.

• 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Multiboxers and botters aren't mutually exclusive, anyone saying otherwise never went to Nazjatar or did Tiragarde Riverbud circuit. The problem isn't with your Johnny-40-elems dude running Alterac or instant killing everyone in Warmode ON zones, while he's evidently bringing lag everywhere he goes he's not much of a hassle economy wise. Most of them pay "legit" subs aka from their home country.

We're also not talking about people exploiting the game client to cheat and go under terrain, teleport or using third party tools to dupe gold or items. They're there but in retail WoW their life expectancy is usually short because they're getting flagged and suspended within days / weeks and some of their profit go poof as soon as the accounts got banned.

We're talking about people running multiple 4-8 druid setups for months, years, only to farm herbs / mines / mobs with cheap ukranian VPN subs just to generate gold. They were in the grey area of farming the shit out of the game economy while not having to deal with suspension / downtime because well, they weren't cheating / using exploits (call it clever use of game mechanics).

As Khane Khane said they're not really "ruining the economy" especially with megaservers, connected realms, Warmode ON / OFF options. But they're severely hampering your average player ability to gather materials because they're running nodes and mobs 24/7 while the average joe doesn't. That's probably why Blizzard is acting on it. Going on a mundane herb run and struggling to gather anything while watching flocks of druids emptying nodes isn't great advertising.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Are you serious?... Can you not defend/trivialize it before you at least know about it?
How can I defend or trivialize something that wasn't even brought up until after I had already said something? "any mats gathered" and "gathering skills" is not "aoe skinning" that I can't find a single example of even existing within the game.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Mist clearly doesn't understand "Economies of scale". More people will enjoy the fruits of cheaper materials than will be hurt by their profits being lower from gathering.

Khane

Multiboxers and botters aren't mutually exclusive, anyone saying otherwise never went to Nazjatar or did Tiragarde Riverbud circuit. The problem isn't with your Johnny-40-elems dude running Alterac or instant killing everyone in Warmode ON zones, while he's evidently bringing lag everywhere he goes he's not much of a hassle economy wise. Most of them pay "legit" subs aka from their home country.

We're also not talking about people exploiting the game client to cheat and go under terrain, teleport or using third party tools to dupe gold or items. They're there but in retail WoW their life expectancy is usually short because they're getting flagged and suspended within days / weeks and some of their profit go poof as soon as the accounts got banned.

We're talking about people running multiple 4-8 druid setups for months, years, only to farm herbs / mines / mobs with cheap ukranian VPN subs just to generate gold. They were in the grey area of farming the shit out of the game economy while not having to deal with suspension / downtime because well, they weren't cheating / using exploits (call it clever use of game mechanics).

As Khane Khane said they're not really "ruining the economy" especially with megaservers, connected realms, Warmode ON / OFF options. But they're severely hampering your average player ability to gather materials because they're running nodes and mobs 24/7 while the average joe doesn't. That's probably why Blizzard is acting on it. Going on a mundane herb run and struggling to gather anything while watching flocks of druids emptying nodes isn't great advertising.

The more people gathering the faster nodes respawn. It's how retail WoW works. "Struggling to find herbs" is literally not a thing in retail WoW. Ever.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Last I did skinning was in 8.2 Nazjatar and skinning was definitely not multi tap (one skinner per animal). Throughout the xpac, when there was a World Quest to kill animals, there were far more people killing mobs than people with the skinning skill. So, you just needed to take a Skinner out there (server hop a few times, if there was too much competition) and you could get stacks of leather.

What ruined the leather market In 8.0 and 8.1 was the boar camp (almost insta respawn farmed by groups of 5 for random world epics) in Drustvar. The group of 5 all were busy rounding up and killing mobs as fast as they could so they wernt skinning shit. Up to 3 skinners could then just stand there and just keep clicking skins, and never stop as long as the group was there. I did it one time on my horde shaman for ~2 hours and got 3000+ of EACH of the useful skinning mats (and probably 1500-2000 of each of the green quality mostly worthless mats). Never really needed leather mats again after that.

That boar camp was almost perma camped on any big server for 6+ months by people farming epics to sell.

Last edited:

Khane

I'm surprised this conversation devolved into "Are multiboxers and bots really all that different?"

The answer is yes, vastly. And if you disagree you may want to consider one requires a human at a keyboard actually playing the game, and the other does not.

Anyway. Multiboxers absolutely can harm the well being of a game's economy AND player satisfaction/ability to actually play the game. There are many games where this is the case. Retail WoW is not one of those games.

Khane

Hahahahaahaha. There is not a single multiboxer who would ever take skinning since multiboxing doesn't net you more skins.

My god you couldn't have picked a worse example.

"Hey you can only skin each mob once right?"
"Yes"
"Maybe I should pay for 5 accounts and try skinning then"
"Ummm... are you retarded?"

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Hahahahaahaha. There is not a single multiboxer who would ever take skinning since multiboxing doesn't net you more skins.

My god you couldn't have picked a worse example.

"Hey you can only skin each mob once right?"
"Yes"
"Maybe I should pay for 5 accounts and try skinning then"
"Ummm... are you retarded?"
There's 1 skinner and a bunch of multiboxed chars spamming spells pulling mobs to force mass spawns.

There's this pig farm, and this blood larva spawn place, I've seen it tons of times.

Khane

Yea, and the multiboxer can only skin one at a time. While everyone else not multiboxing can just skin everything the multiboxer just killed for them.

My god you're dumb. And so are the multiboxers wasting their time on that shit.

EDIT: Also, did they finally add AoE skinning to WoW after I quit? Because that was never a thing, ever. It's one corpse at a time.

Last edited: