World of Warcraft: Current Year

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Seems gay, retail wow isn’t wow anymore. Loot boxes suck dick.
Its not exactly a loot box basically you pick one option per week basically the higest one you unlocked usually and when you do you will have several options of gear that you can choose which one you want. The higher tier thing you unlock the better ilevel stuff your choices will be. It is not very random at all from what I have seen so far.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Leveling is just a thing you torture yourself through. There are so many expansions, and with the 100% increased XP boost, you don't really see more than a zone of an expansion before you've outleveled it and are onto the next one. So it's an incoherent mess story wise.

Once you hit 100, you are kind of forced to do at least 1 Legion artifact weapon unlock, then once you hit 110, you do the BFA neck quest and pick a zone and you'll most likely hit 120 at the end of one of the 3 zones you could have selected from. Then you'll be onto the Nazjatar quest chain and your cloak and you'll probably get murdered to death by basic mobs in Nazjatar with your 280-ish ilvl and be miserable.

Then you'll somehow track down the quest for Mechagon and unlock that and maybe get your neck to 50 and then something like 70-ish and start the essence grind...

Just casually level a character using LFG at 15+ and don't bother trying to hit cap and do current content, it's a nightmare.
Once the prepatch hits basically none of that is true. If you are a brand new player you start the new 1-10 tutorial which seems pretty neat introduction to the game in a new area. Then you come out of that right into BFA you do the story lines for the various zones there and you are level 50 and ready for shadowlands. Most people are saying if you just follow the story line stuff its basically 10-12 hours to get to max level.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm not surprised at that - they've been destroying any reason to do their old content for a while now. If they are going to keep exp pots and warmode percentages in the game, then what was the point of removing Heirlooms? Granted the average player likely takes 5 hours or so to do BFA, that still isnt enough time to do the entire expansion. How are you even suppose to follow the story? Regardless of how laughable it is.

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Leveling is just a thing you torture yourself through. There are so many expansions, and with the 100% increased XP boost, you don't really see more than a zone of an expansion before you've outleveled it and are onto the next one.
You can't outlevel a zone now due to mob scaling unless you hit a new zone near its max level.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It rustles me how pointless the leveling journey as become. If the game begins at max level why bother with anything before that at this point? Just release an expansion with all the grinds and content they expect at max level and leave it at that. Embrace your actual driving game philosophy once and for all.

But they wont do that either because they're pussies.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm not surprised at that - they've been destroying any reason to do their old content for a while now. If they are going to keep exp pots and warmode percentages in the game, then what was the point of removing Heirlooms? Granted the average player likely takes 5 hours or so to do BFA, that still isnt enough time to do the entire expansion. How are you even suppose to follow the story? Regardless of how laughable it is.
From what I am hearing for people running non warmode you can basically do the story for the three islands and some side stuff and that gets you to max level so at least you can see the basic story of the expansion. Also the key story line quests I believe are marked differently so you can know which are story and which are side.

Araxen

Personally, I feel they should never expand the level cap. It should be 60 and never go up ever again. DAOC did this, and it worked well. DAOC did have Realm Ranks which is kind of like AA's for PVP.

Last edited:

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
AA' s added each expansion like EQ, would bring a ton of my friends back. Being able to grind for a few hours for a 1% gain in one stat of my choice, still feels fun to me, as long as I am with my friends.

• 3Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Lol what, there is a level crunch now too?
Yes. The idea is simple: level 1-10 in a new starter experience, then 10-50 in any single expansion or vanilla, then off to the shadowlands.

Their problem with the scaled XP was that people were doing 20-30% of an expansion, then outleveling it and moving to the next, which felt odd. Even worse if you're one of those most unusual of people - a first time player.

This way, everyone can level in WOTLK, and move straight to Shadowlands, because there's no reason to do anything else.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This is some guy speedrunning, and he's using the fastest expansion(WoD) to do it.

I leveled a char on alpha, no WM(which maybe you'll have, but 30% is alliance only pretty much everywhere and that means running into a lot of horde players too), through BFA so no mount and it took like 14hours or whatever. I didn't know the quests and played a so-so class too(demonlock). I hit 50 almost exactly as I was done with the leveling part of BFA(2 zones with all objectives complete, 3rd I only had a few more and the small questlines in enemy islands done too), so it's basically the "intended" speed. However just doing any other expansion since you have flying, it's gonna be faster. This shit isn't tuned properly besides BFA and I think Legion, rest takes too long or is too short and they haven't bothered changing it yet.

I'd expect the final time for most people is going to be around 8 to 10hours if you have flying. I'm sure there will be some super efficient route that'll go faster but if you want to level several chars doing the same shit over and over is probably going to be terrible. Not sure how they're gonna manage tuning some of these though, I expect a bunch will still suck a lot and you won't be nearly done when you hit 50. They're not putting nearly enough effort into it it seems, so it'll probably suck some dicks when it goes live during the second beta prepatch.

Malkav

French Madman
I fully expect them to nerf WoD treasures and bonus objectives before they release the revamp anyway.

One of the hypothesis, is that they could keep the level cap to 60 forever now. Just reset everyone to 50 at the release of each expansion and have them level back up to 60. It's not like expansions are adding anything to base classes nowadays, just stacking temporary borrowed power on top.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I fully expect them to nerf WoD treasures and bonus objectives before they release the revamp anyway.

One of the hypothesis, is that they could keep the level cap to 60 forever now. Just reset everyone to 50 at the release of each expansion and have them level back up to 60. It's not like expansions are adding anything to base classes nowadays, just stacking temporary borrowed power on top.
Yup I imagine a lot of their beta look is going to be people leveling alts up to see what weird stuff happens. Also tuning it so you can see the story from each zone to hit level cap without being in the situation where you do a zone or two and are done when trying to do it seriously. Keep the dungeon side stuff so if somebody just wants to grind a zone and be done whatever but new players should see at least the basic story.

Araxen

Or they don't make anyone relevel again, and focus expansion content solely on max level content instead of diverting resources to leveling content. You don't need to "level" to tell a story.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
5h catchup leveling seems pretty okay for me, even for their "New Player Experience".

I mean, especially if you're joining friends there's no point spending days leveling a character, it's just not what most people want nowadays.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
5h catchup leveling seems pretty okay for me, even for their "New Player Experience".

I mean, especially if you're joining friends there's no point spending days leveling a character, it's just not what most people want nowadays.

• 1Repost
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

From what I am hearing for people running non warmode you can basically do the story for the three islands and some side stuff and that gets you to max level so at least you can see the basic story of the expansion. Also the key story line quests I believe are marked differently so you can know which are story and which are side.

But you're not really getting the whole story. I remember seeing something where someone did basically all the story parts of the 4 Legion starter zones outside of Suramar and they hit 50 basically when they finished all those. With BFA it was full completion of Drustvar and Tiragarde Sound and about half of Stormsong Valley. Which isn't a bad thing, you see most of the leveling up zones, but you miss out on Suramar/Broken Shore/Argus story, plus all the extra raid stuff. For BFA you don't see any of Nazjatar, Mechagon, nor much of the war campaign I assume.

Saw some video about it where guy was basically like "yeah, I'll just level 10-50 in Wrath every time, but I'll probably just hit up most of the zones and I'll never get to kill the Lich King as part of the experience". Which is fine for most people who don't really give a fuck about the stories, they just want to hit 50 and move on to current content..but if the whole idea of having players pick their expansion for 10-50 so those stories didn't get lost, they're really not ever going to get a full expansion story played out the way it works currently by the sound of it. Better than it is currently where you only do a zone or two tops, but still not the full shebang.1