World of Warcraft: Current Year

velk

Trakanon Raider
Soo, I haven't been keeping up with this. I assume this is gonna be a skip/wait til the whole thing is out and play it before WoW is shut down?

Beta is too unfinished to tell at the moment, but probably. There's still a chance to fix some pants-on-head retarded decisions like locked in covenants and soulbinds not changing per spec, but they seem pretty attached to them, along with the 'build the same legendary 10 times' idea.

Bastion is super pretty though, so there's that.

They are showing a lot more ambition than they did for BFA at least - Torghast is light years ahead of the aids that is BFA Islands, and their initial iteration of the WoD missions has significantly more depth than even the WoD version, let alone the insulting hollow mockery that was the BFA mission board.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Balancing around the .1% again I see.

Also people losing control over their items in master loot is such fucking bullshit. The amount of players that were helped by master loot rather then hindered by it, at least imo, has to be much greater. People getting fucked over by loot master rules had to be such a small percentage of the players. Since playing in Beta I've never experienced it. The only time I ever heard it was an issue is when a simp lord GM passed out loot to tits. Then again simps are on the rise so maybe they were protecting against this? Blizzard was 500 iq all along? Guess it takes one to know one.

It's due to the implementation of personal loot being pretty garbage. No one gets equal rolls to get gear, but everyone puts equal effort in. Not everyone gets equal effort out and they are at the mercy of RNG instead of some PUG leader/Guild leader. I'd argue that's worse. Rolling sockets, other stats, titanforging and such in wod/legion was bullshit and I am glad it is going away. Progression should be blocked based on the content you can complete. There is zero benefit to getting the same item thru personal loot twice in a raid now, and imagine that would be a major pain point going forward with SL.

There is no time commitment anymore in MMOs. However, that's a super good thing and allows people to play at their own pace. Designers need to stop being afraid of handing out loot people need as a means to stop progression. If you want to make it so a boss only drops a specific item, and the item isn't able to be traded between eligible receivers, then there must be a mechanic based on time commitment much like DKP was for EQ and EQ2 with master loot.

Much like how DKP worked, there needs to be a replacement for DKP if you're not allowing gear to be funneled into a single player that is crucial to success like a tank, high parsing healer/dps, etc... and I think something like valor points or honor would be that mechanic. Each raid boss kill would add currency to buy the same items over time. If your RNG sucks, you shouldn't be subject to playing a gachapon game where you have to keep running it until you eventually succeed, and may never get BIS items despite time commitment. In games like EQ, players solved the master loot system with DKP. WoW replaced the ability to do DKP and offers no replacement for that system.

WoW has implemented lootboxes that you don't pay for. That's a step in the right direction, of course. Lootboxes are predatory from the sense of them being RNG-based with no chance to outright get the item you want. They make you keep spending money until you do. WoW has simply just removed the pain point (money) and replaced it with another one (time) and still did not address the fundamental issue of why lootboxes are bad. Games like WoW are based on strength of group/guild in unity, and if they are held back because of a mechanic like RNG not giving them items and being locked out of said raid for an extended period of time (a week) with no way to progress, that's a pretty big issue.

It does, however, work differently in other games like EQ. If EQ implemented personal loot for non triggered epic targets that guaranteed progression, and camps for high value targets like FBSS/Eboots/etc for everyone involved in the kill, players would be more inclined to team up for those high value items as opposed to not doing so. This is due to EQ having such high drop rates on high ticket items, though, and the fact that the best items in EQ are not always earned through raiding, especially ringing true in Classic/Kunark.

• 2Like

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
With warforging & titanforging gone in Shadowlands, personal loot won't be as bad as it was in BFA. Master looter would still be much better, but after 2 or 3 weeks you'll be able to trade everything anyway, so guilds will be able to distribute the gear to the correct player. DKP is pretty unnecessary in WoW. Gear is just so plentiful.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The real problem with shadowlands is that alliance only has 3 druid races so you can't roll 4 different race, different spec, different covenant druids.

Gnome druids pls.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Argarth

On the verandah
Of course, because having to wait seven days to change your conduits and having to be in sanctum to swap soulbinds is totally what everyone wanted.

Yeah, what a waste of time and energy. It's like the same bullshit justifications and flip/flopping from one bad decision to another are on endless repeat, year after year.

First time I won't be buying a WoW expansion at launch, and with a little luck I'll have completely stopped caring shortly after that.

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
then there must be a mechanic based on time commitment much like DKP was for EQ and EQ2 with master loot.
In WoW there is this thing called "bad luck protection", and it came up for getting your legendaries in Legion with the claim "you just have to play the game to earn them." Of course the autists figured it out and made an addon for it. At the end of the day it was just another thing to grind, like a reputation bar. This is the curse of MMO design: We want memorable and unique loot that is powerful, but handing it out like candy on Halloween to everyone is also bad.

I think what most people miss (and Blizzard clearly doesn't get) with a master looter system, is that there is some form of social validation the player gets when he earns an item from his peers.

• 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
unknown.png
unknown (1).png

• 1Repost

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Asmon: "I'm going to sit in Stormwind, and you guys can give me gold." Some guy dropped 100k. lol

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
They changed conduits from being destroyed when you replace them, to becoming essentially like essences. But now you can only change them once a week.

What a bunch of fucking morons. Just create a system and let people play the way they want. Who cares if they want to switch their abilities around.

• 2Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
So like, if I start this from lvl 1 after not playing since the 2nd expansion, will I be lost? Sounds like the leveling will be 'squished', but not sure how lost I'll be :p

• 1Dislike

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The leveling is the most coherent it has been since tbc probably now. basically Either roll a new character and do new tutorial then BFA to max to shadow lands or use existing character and pick an expansion to play through.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
So like, if I start this from lvl 1 after not playing since the 2nd expansion, will I be lost? Sounds like the leveling will be 'squished', but not sure how lost I'll be :p
Leveling is just a thing you torture yourself through. There are so many expansions, and with the 100% increased XP boost, you don't really see more than a zone of an expansion before you've outleveled it and are onto the next one. So it's an incoherent mess story wise.

Once you hit 100, you are kind of forced to do at least 1 Legion artifact weapon unlock, then once you hit 110, you do the BFA neck quest and pick a zone and you'll most likely hit 120 at the end of one of the 3 zones you could have selected from. Then you'll be onto the Nazjatar quest chain and your cloak and you'll probably get murdered to death by basic mobs in Nazjatar with your 280-ish ilvl and be miserable.

Then you'll somehow track down the quest for Mechagon and unlock that and maybe get your neck to 50 and then something like 70-ish and start the essence grind...

Just casually level a character using LFG at 15+ and don't bother trying to hit cap and do current content, it's a nightmare.

• 1Barf