World's Largest Video Game Collection for sale

spronk

FPS noob
GameGavel: Auctions for Gamers & Geeks Item: 958029 -- The World's Largest Video Game Collection recognized by Guinness - 11,000+ Games

The collection consists of all 10,607 games that were verified by The Guinness Book of World Records during the official count performed on December 3rd, 2012, as well as four hundred plus more games that I have acquired since. In total, OVER 11,000 GAMES!! Guinness did not count duplicates, so every game is unique with no repeats.

The following categories are COMPLETE U.S. sets, and may also include import titles, as well: 3DO, Action Max, AGP X-System, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Atari Jaguar, Atari Jaguar CD, Atari Lynx, Buzztime, Captain Power, Game Boy Advance e-Reader, Neo-Geo Pocket Color, Nintendo Virtual Boy, NUON, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Tapwave Zodiac, Tiger Game.Com, Turbo-Grafx-16 CD and Turbo-Grafx-16 Super CD.

0001396247.JPG

current bid is at $50k

all my games are in my steam library. whats a Wakandan to do

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
If it sells he should have enough money to finally get laid.

Szlia

50k but reserve not yet met... also no word on shipping costs. Not as tempting as it could have been.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
my god the shipping cost on this would be insane..

Currently at 230k and reserve not met ? ehhhh No

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Furthermore, I'll state that the auction has a conservative realistic reserve below it's appraised value
Appraised by whom? His mom?

Szlia

It's difficult to appraise such a collection, because there are probably not that many rare games in the lot, but if all is in great shape, with a bunch of factory sealed games even, and there are a lot of complete sets, that can seriously jack up the price, possibly even north of 500k for 11k games. With such a collection, you also pay for the convenience of getting all these games in a single transaction instead of hundreds of transactions and it's difficult to put a price tag on such convenience. In theory, this should be bought by a museum or archive of some sort, or bought by a person/company that then gives the whole collection to a museum/archive to store and manage.

Btw it's currently at 90k, not 230k. Still way past the point where I would contact friends to pool our money! Or is it...

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
It's difficult to appraise such a collection, because there are probably not that many rare games in the lot, but if all is in great shape, with a bunch of factory sealed games even, and there are a lot of complete sets, that can seriously jack up the price, possibly even north of 500k for 11k games. With such a collection, you also pay for the convenience of getting all these games in a single transaction instead of hundreds of transactions and it's difficult to put a price tag on such convenience. In theory, this should be bought by a museum or archive of some sort, or bought by a person/company that then gives the whole collection to a museum/archive to store and manage.

Btw it's currently at 90k, not 230k. Still way past the point where I would contact friends to pool our money! Or is it...
Then they cleaned up some fake bids probably jacking up the price, seen 230k earlier today.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It's difficult to appraise such a collection,
That's really putting it mildly. If you could find an average sale price for the high end collectables, you still would be dealing those out piecemeal to very different collectors over time, which brings down the price all around. Fuck's sake, I'm going to start sounding like the guy from Pawn Stars.

And yeah, it was at 200k+ I guess those were fake bids and removed. I'd say 200k is pretty fair unless he's got some ultra-rares in there like that Olympics game.

This is a rare time to miss Sean. I'm sure he could write a fucking Masters Thesis on this guy and the sale.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I could see maybe full "sets" going for 10-15k per set..

personally I would just keep the full set's but piece-meal out the scattered pieces.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Good God, to waste your life or most of it doing that...wow. Fuck you nerd.

The Master

Bronze Squire
The game systems he has complete sets for are uninspiring. If he had a complete NES and SNES set in the library I'd take it more seriously, but it really seems like he collected sets for crappy systems. Maybe it was difficult to find those games, but expensive? Probably not.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The NES list is pretty decent, the SNES list is awful as fuck though. Guess the point isn't really the quality and more like the quantity of games. Seems like quite a waste of money/time to me but whatever, some people enjoy random stuff. He might even make money out of it, maybe. Not sure what the reserve price is at if it wasn't reached with a fake 200k bid.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
A sad day for Sean to get parted of his collection...

Other news sources claimed he still has around 2800 factory sealed and over 8000 complete (with manual and extras) in his collection, he also operated 9 gaming stores and could therefor grab the pristine looking copies first.
Also he parted with a small part of his collection to pay for his wedding before, im guessing now he needs money to finance his divorce.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It's actually much less impression of a collection now that I see he operated a chain of gaming stores.

As for the collection itself it doesn't really do anything for me one way or another. I've bought and flipped a mountain of that shit.

Szlia

That seems like a very high value... but again, in a strange non-intuitive way, the value might come from the fact probably 8k of the 11k games are garbage games no sane person would play and finding mint versions of such games no collector ever wanted might be a lot more difficult than for stuff gamers enjoy/ed.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Actually his collection makes a lot more sense now. All his mint-in-box stuff was probably excess inventory that never sold and that is why there are so few games that were popular on the list of what he has. He just kept them rather than tossing them or putting them in a discount bin.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
Michael's a published author, college professor, an accomplished computer programmer(his thing is making new games on older original hardware), a successful businessman, and all of that on top of being a world record holder.

What have you done lately?
Got laid (with a girl).

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
If you buy this then go out and buy one new game, do you get to take his place as record holder?