Worth going all Apple?

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I had the same idea so I bought a magic trackpad. Unfortunately, it forced my wrist into a weird position and I started getting RSI issues. It might be worth picking one up to see whether you have any issues or not. I'm tempted to buy a new desk so I can work out a way to make the magic trackpad work for me.

I'm curious to know the answer to this question, too. I've never once felt limited on OSX. It does everything I want it to. Being able to access the terminal is also incredibly useful. I don't feel 'sandboxed' at all.
I set my trackpad on a mouse pad that has a gel wrist rest on it. Made a big difference.

I don't understand those who say Macs are locked down. That's crazy. I've customized mine like crazy. I have PC's in the house, but I do everything from my iMac. It hasn't limited me in any way.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I set my trackpad on a mouse pad that has a gel wrist rest on it. Made a big difference.

I don't understand those who say Macs are locked down. That's crazy. I've customized mine like crazy. I have PC's in the house, but I do everything from my iMac. It hasn't limited me in any way.
Yeah, and being that it's built on top of Unix, you can make scripts to do whatever the fuck you want your computer to do.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Since Apple went with the new lightning connector instead of using using micro usb that everyone uses and thus making all the old accessories pretty much useless without an adapter... I say fuck them! They could of went the usb route but noooo they wanted more money.
Thunderbolt is Intel technology. They own all the rights to it. In fact certain Sony Vaios used a version of Thunderbolt as well.

Xaesor_sl

shitlord
My opinion is that you buy yourself an Apple smart phone. However, I would never spend a singe cent in my life on an Apple computer.

EmiliaEQ_sl

shitlord
Pretty spot on post right here.
I'd even go farther than that, if you want to "GAME Seriously" don't ever go near a Mac If you a quality technoob-friendly computer for "the average person" Macs are perfect.
Apple does come with an "Apple Tax" for some products (MacPro & every mobile device) but a 1000$ macbook, is worth a 1000$ pc (screen & build quality are important).
If you want "hassle free" quality hardware for "generic usages or image/sound/publishing" then they are perfect (RMA = go to a store and ask for a repair, no india call center BS).

Aevry

Mobile Game Hunter
I enjoy my ipad mini for gaming and other such shenanigens. I would never switch to a Mac PC however, just based on comfort and the ease of which I can open my machine and fiddle in it. Also, I don't like coffee and don't own enough scarves to make it worthwhile.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Macbooks are made out of machined aluminium. This means that they're sturdy as hell and can survive some really hard knocks. I've dropped mine from 6ft onto concrete and it worked perfectly afterwards. I've also stood on it by accident and it didn't even get dented. Macbooks are by far the best build laptops I've ever used.

If there was a laptop out there that had the same stuff that a Macbook has, I'd consider picking it up. I don't have much loyalty to Apple. There isn't a laptop out there that does, though.

What's most important to me is..

- Build quality
- Trackpad
- Worldwide warranty/support
- Battery life
- Size/weight
- Quality of keyboard
- Quality of screen
- Magsafe-esque power connector

And, since I'll be picking up a Retina Macbook Pro later this year, I'll be looking for a laptop with a Retina class screen.

If you can find me a laptop that betters a Macbook in all these areas, I'll gladly pick it up. I've yet to find one that comes close.
Thinkpad

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd even go farther than that, if you want to "GAME Seriously" don't ever go near a Mac If you a quality technoob-friendly computer for "the average person" Macs are perfect.
I think even the most ardent apple fan boy would readily admit that mac's aren't for gaming. The OP stated he wasn't gaming anymore so that was not a consideration.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I wouldn't use the term fan "boys" since the only people using iMacs are girls, metrosexual looking fags or yarn wearing hippies with neckbeards.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, they aren't for gaming. You could probably game on a fully specced Mac Pro without much trouble, but you'd have to be made of money.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Roses are red, violets are blue. I'll stab you with my iFork.

My aluminium iFork is better than your metal fork. It's lighter, has nicer build quality and is only twice the price. I can eat faster with it (if I hold it right) and it's also has chokesafe. It also looks pretty.

I cringe when my colleagues talk about their love of macs and complain about windows for something as trivial as a pt anamnesis. Zero knowledge of networking, storage and client-server environments? Yup. You'd think studying in the hardest field would make you not want and lust for shiny objects.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Roses are red, violets are blue. I'll stab you with my iFork.

My aluminium iFork is better than your metal fork. It's lighter, has nicer build quality and is only twice the price. I can eat faster with it (if I hold it right) and it's also has chokesafe. It also looks pretty.

I cringe when my colleges talk about their love of macs and complain about windows for something as trivial as a pt anamnesis. Zero knowledge of networking, storage and client-server environments? Yup. You'd think studying in the hardest field would make you not want and lust for shiny objects.
I am constantly amazed at how similar all of these anti-Apple complaints are. They're all based on complete ignorance and frank stupidity. The implication that all Mac users are computer illiterate morons may have been true 15 years ago, but get with the times. Macs are built on Unix. With 5 keystrokes (Cmd-Space, "ter", {return}) I'm in a bash shell. Please go on to brag about your DOS shell, lol.
smile.png
And the "twice as expensive" comment is pure trolling. We already demonstrated in this thread that you cannot, in fact, come up with a piece of hardware that is just as nice as a Mac for really any cheaper.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I am constantly amazed at how similar all of these anti-Apple complaints are. They're all based on complete ignorance and frank stupidity. The implication that all Mac users are computer illiterate morons may have been true 15 years ago, but get with the times. Macs are built on Unix. With 5 keystrokes (Cmd-Space, "ter", {return}) I'm in a bash shell. Please go on to brag about your DOS shell, lol.
smile.png
And the "twice as expensive" comment is pure trolling. We already demonstrated in this thread that you cannot, in fact, come up with a piece of hardware that is just as nice as a Mac for really any cheaper.
Consistent critique is suddenly bad?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_Hill_criteria
Cough-cough.
Mr. Troll, I think you're very much like a creationist - you're annoying in that you're trying to make Apple the default position. It's not. You're fractally wrong in wanting to compare made up apple marketing terms for generic technology. You define nice as a mac instead what makes a mac nice. It sickening and repulsive.

Also I never said anything about a shell. I was talking about infrastructure in a corporation (or hospital) - the thing IT people see - not what the dumb end user sees - because it's made seamless to them by said IT people. You know, what matters, not what 'feels' nice.

Here is why you like apple:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_goods
You'd think 1 a day kept you away?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It has been proven in this thread that you can't buy a computer that is equal to an apple for less than an apple as long as you stipulate that every single component is exactly the same including apple patented features and also that it is made by apple.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Macs are built on Unix. With 5 keystrokes (Cmd-Space, "ter", {return}) I'm in a bash shell. Please go on to brag about your DOS shell, lol.
smile.png
Okay, seriously, enough. You're being ridiculous. All I have to do is install cygwin and I have the same thing you have. Please, tell me that's not good enough -- then we can move on to how Apple owners (including myself) defend the need to jailbreak their iOS devices to make them similar to what Android already does.

You're no better than they are with your zealotry.

Cor_sl

shitlord
Okay, seriously, enough. You're being ridiculous. All I have to do is install cygwin and I have the same thing you have. Please, tell me that's not good enough -- then we can move on to how Apple owners (including myself) defend the need to jailbreak their iOS devices to make them similar to what Android already does.

You're no better than they are with your zealotry.
I think you missed the point. He's pointing out that OSX is just as open as Windows is. You can do whatever you want with it and Apple isn't going to stop you. It's an open environment - it's not locked down like IOS is, and the terminal/unix underpinnings are proof of that.

A lot of posters here are saying that OSX is locked down and 'dumbed down'. It's not. They're posting bullshit.

Yes, IOS is locked down. And yes, it's bullshit that you have to jailbreak to do a lot of the things Apple don't want you to do. I switched to Android because I was getting sick of jailbreaking and I couldn't be happier. It's good for people like my Mum, though. I don't have to ever worry about her breaking her iPhone because it's near impossible for her to do so.

Yeah, Thinkpads are pretty awesome. They're easily the best Windows laptops available nowadays.

Still, the Macbook-equivalent models cost around the same. Compare the cost of an X1 Carbon to a Macbook - they're pretty similar in price.

If they were able to match Apple's warranty, I'd definitely consider switching to a Thinkpad for sure. I spend 6 months out of the year travelling (mainly through backwater countries in Eastern Europe/Asia/South America) and the ability to go into an Apple Authorised Service place anywhere in the world and get my Macbook fixed for free, if any problems develop, is really hard to beat.