Whatever that means
trolololol
http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44031

xzi

Mouthbreather
"If you release the source code we're going to sue the dogshit out of you"

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
"Listen, we want to sell this bullshit idea about pristine servers but we believe that this is not what they think they want, here is some money, tell them that this is what they really want."

I mean pristine servers are actually a really good idea from the business point of view, its extremely low effort and while it will certainly alienate a minority (the guys playing these private servers), some of them will still check it out and they will get a lot of people ( a number that certainly dwarves the alienated minority) that don't particularly want to play vanilla but will find the idea interesting or refreshing and will check it out.

With how low effort it is, it doesnt take a whole lot of people subbing because of this to make it a very profitable idea.
On top of that they get the (misplaced) good publicity of catering to the fans. Win-Win.

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
The thing about pristine servers - one of the good things in vanilla pre-realm hopping was that on a completely fresh new server that popped up now and then, people could roll and get the feeling of starting over. If a pristine server is added it could be similar with completely new guilds popping up etc. Problem for me is that at this point in the game, I am a bit too invested in my live characters with everything they've done. Like, it would be supercool to start over and such but all my old titles and mounts that can't be achieved anymore...

Plus, one of the best things about the actual vanilla experience was the fact that you had guilds progressing everything, whether it was simply leveling up, 5-man dungeons, pvp, molten bore, blackwing lair or beyond - you could start playing on the server 1 year after it was released and still find a guild that was just about to enter ragnaros lair. The new ketchup mechanics installed since... wotlk I think makes this a moot point. Every time a patch drops, anything prior to it is pretty useless

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Plus, one of the best things about the actual vanilla experience was the fact that you had guilds progressing everything, whether it was simply leveling up, 5-man dungeons, pvp, molten bore, blackwing lair or beyond - you could start playing on the server 1 year after it was released and still find a guild that was just about to enter ragnaros lair. The new ketchup mechanics installed since... wotlk I think makes this a moot point. Every time a patch drops, anything prior to it is pretty useless
It was like that the moment TBC came out. The stamina changes alone in TBC ensured that.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
It was like that the moment TBC came out. The stamina changes alone in TBC ensured that.
I used my dragonstalker until 70 though. It wasn't until I got blues from 70 dungeons that my epics came off.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Shit, I used my T3 well into Kara for the set bonuses until I started getting epics

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Shit, I used my T3 well into Kara for the set bonuses until I started getting epics
Darkmoon card: blue dragon and the mp5 trinkets from Naxx were still BIS until they intentionally went back and nerfed them. Same with the resto shaman totem from naxx--shit was too good :p The int / spirit working together for mana regen change that came in 2.4 or 3.0 also put blue dragon back on top again until it was nerfed again :p

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Hrmm I was purely pvp at that point so I was replacing all my gear in Hellfire because of all that stamina.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Started up with friends on Warmane Lord server. No pay to win on this realm. Never raided past Naxx in wotlk until way late into the expansion and icc had the 30 percent buff. Really looking forward to getting into Ulduar as i would always hear it's a fantastic raid zone.

patrick

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Anyone play on a good Burning crusade server? Was going to try Excalibur but they have a cash shop apparently. That makes me nervous to spend too much time on it.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone play on a good Burning crusade server? Was going to try Excalibur but they have a cash shop apparently. That makes me nervous to spend too much time on it.
Hellground is alive since a few years apparently, I was going to try that soon.

Rhuma_sl

shitlord
You should get over the stigma of cash shops for private servers.

These servers need revenue, playing on molten/Warmane on ragnaros, the donators rarely affected anything, the only inconvenience was you would have some bads doing ICC pugs that couldn't pull their weight. Luckily marrowgar was there to filter the shit before going too far.

The benefit being the server won't fucking close up shop next month because of the funds drying up. Also you have a ton of really good players that didn't have to slog through heroic dungeon pugs for a month to start doing content that matters to your guild. The average playtime for a private server player is at most 3 months, when half of that is leveling and doing heroics, you end up losing your apps to burnout in 3-4 instance lockouts if they can even bring themselves to level up in the first place.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
My kid wants to play WoW over the summer, I'm going to set him up on rebirth so we can play together. Haha. Gonna make him roll a warrior and I'll be a priest.
biggrin.png

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Summer is the last time of year I'd want to be inside on the computer.

Move the computer outside

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
As Cad said, try living in the southern states, when I was in AZ, summertime were my heavy play times with sucked cause that's usually when the slump happens and attendance sucks.

I started a character on Rebirth a couple days ago to bounce between TAKP and WoW depending on which one I get bored with. Undead priest here, wanding everything to death.