WoW Vanilla Emu - Emerald Dream

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
One thing's for sure, these private wow classic servers will have more subs than Pantheon

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Blizzard missed on DOTA becoming the most popular game in the world right under their noses. Just because they've made a lot of money doesn't mean they're infallible. I doubt a Progression server would be all that expensive to run, despite all the BS reasons they gave. The userbase on the 4 Elysium servers alone (each Elysium server holds about 10k concurrent players vs the 2k Blizzard vanilla did, so that's 20 original WOW servers) would be enough to sustain the 5 employees it would take to run the thing, especially since they could probably get away with hiring one of these private teams on an entry level salary and just having one old school Blizzard guy oversee the thing. And that's before factoring in the people who don't want to try this without it being "legal" or the current subscribers who'd try it out (which might be their actual concern).

Like, if you're going to play the Kotick card, there's plenty of ways to cash in on this. Release a Commemorative Warcraft pack with WC1-3 thrown in and slap a $30 price tag on it. Gouge another 10-15 with some artwork, "out of retirement" Metzen short stories and a head start. All these nostalgia whores are old now and have the money. Well, not all of them, but a broke 30 year old still has access to more money than a broke 15 year old.

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
I'm totally puzzled why Nostalrius would do such an about face. Elysium was instantly very popular.

I don't know if it is because they are not native English speakers, but I found their statement to be baffling. The other thing I thought was really bizarre is that there was no update on their front page after May of last year.

If there's no way to play Vanilla WoW, how do they think that community will survive?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
so as someone who has barely ever played WoW (levelled a character to 20 once), would these servers be an enjoyable experience?

for context, i'm currently really enjoying playing on The Al'Kabor Project, the emu recreation of Planes of Power era EQMac..

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Vanilla WoW pulled a lot from EQ, so yea probably. Haven't played here but considering most of us moved from EQ when it released, it makes sense.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
but with my additional learning curve is it going to be worth slogging through the huge population of experienced players? is i guess what i'm wondering.

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
I certainly think it's worth giving a shot. The main problem is that there are a bunch of people playing, and there is competition for quest mobs. It's not unbearable, especially since they opened the two fresh servers. If you're worried about it and worried about ganking, the PvE server is probably the best place to get started, name is Dorrowshire.

If you're an experienced gamer, you won't be far behind on the learning curve, it starts you out slow and you gain abilities and mechanics over time. I suspect you're looking at more than 10 days /played to level your first 60 if you really focus on leveling. If you decide to roll on Anathema (old Nost PvP), I can hook you up with some bags.

edit: Horde side!

Last edited:

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
so as someone who has barely ever played WoW (levelled a character to 20 once), would these servers be an enjoyable experience?

for context, i'm currently really enjoying playing on The Al'Kabor Project, the emu recreation of Planes of Power era EQMac..

I started the emu... If you prefer the more anal tougher play leveling then yes. But honestly right now you can buy base wow for 20 and a free month. Gives you up to lv 100 out of 110 and everything but demon hunters.

I was bitter about some stuff but after trying live and the changed leveling experience i am fully on board with it. Once you make max level and a couple alts you can even pay for game time with gold

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If you try live btw i can give you some starting cash and big bags to get started if you play alliance and I've crown. I have some alts i could level with you to show you the ropes.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
No interest in WoW live. I would totally pay Blizzard for an official classic server, tho. I've been kicking myself in the ass for a long time for missing out on the vanilla WoW experience the first time around. Was a dumb EQ loyalist...

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
One reason I wish Blizzard would just stop being cunts and do a classic or progression style server is because as tempting as these Emu servers are to try out I guess I am just to cynical. You see the drama with these Nostralious faggots and you lose all faith in this shit. Plus you never know when the server might be shut down or they start selling their sub base info for cash or selling gold. I get that its a free service but I don't trust free.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I agree there. At least Daybreak is not going after the emu community for Everquest, hty kind of said good job and left the shit alone and while P99 was a shit show of cash for items sales and shit, GMs taking shit off banned characters and selling the stuff for RM..etc. I gues they locked that shit down recently but still.

This whole WoW emu thing has been gone after by Blizzard relentlessly, so why spend 10-20 days leveling up a dude, then spending more time doing endgame when it can be all erased in one cease and desist order.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yes. On Elysium now and population is very healthy and people are friendly and arent concerned about epenis while lvling. Word of caution though is that lvl60s on this server are fucking dicks when it comes to ganking. Numerous times ive seen 2-3 roll into darkshire or rebel camp and just cc it for hours. Similar level horde are not a problem, never had them try and grief or kill me more than once.

Overall its enjoyable. IMO little less stable than Feenix was but extremely healthy population. Tons of pug MC/Ony and guilds spamming recruiting.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
people [...] arent concerned about epenis while lvling.

was main concern, ty. i will definitely be slowing people down at first.

probably won't start for a bit now tho. just finally got the GF to try EQ TAKP Emu and she's already really hooked... that's just weekends but then also i'm doing a round of chemo last week (last one hopefully) so will be at least a few weeks before i feel up to it now.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
Hit 60 on priest yesterday. 30-40 was nightmare as alliance. After that it was ok in terms of being ganked

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Jesus fucking christ the horde on anethema are fucking cock sucking faggots. Really fucking annoying how many times Ive been trying quest/exp and some band of 5-6 faggots in full t2 come in and just grief. 2 hours of them just running around wpl killing non stop.

Even lvl horde arent a problem at all.

Last edited:

nisser

Trakanon Raider
Looks like whoever is running the ship at elysium is a raging cunt whore. Girl literally just went apeshift angry publicly on reddit. Doesn't look to have a promising future.