Writers Guild Strike 2023

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

2023 Pattern of Demands​

COMPENSATION AND RESIDUALS​

• Increase minimum compensation significantly to address the devaluation of writing in all areas of television, new media and features
  • Standardize compensation and residual terms for features whether released theatrically or on streaming
  • Address the abuses of mini-rooms
  • Ensure appropriate television series writing compensation throughout entire process of pre-production, production and post-production
  • Expand span protections to cover all television writers
  • Apply MBA minimums to comedy-variety programs made for new media
  • Increase residuals for under-compensated reuse markets
  • Restrict uncompensated use of excerpts

PENSION PLAN AND HEALTH FUND​

• Increase contributions to Pension Plan and Health Fund
  • PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS AND PROTECTION IN THE EMPLOYMENT OF WRITERS
  • For feature contracts in which compensation falls below a specified threshold, require weekly payment of compensation and a minimum of two steps.
  • Strengthen regulation of options and exclusivity in television writer employment contracts
  • Regulate use of material produced using artificial intelligence or similar technologies
  • Enact measures to combat discrimination and harassment and to promote pay equity
  • Revise and expand all arbitrator lists
----------

main things i gathered
- increase pay from streaming
- increase pay to compensate for shorter seasons
- increase number of writers per show/project
- increase diversity in writing rooms
What does mini-room abuse mean?

Cybsled

I wasn’t familiar with it myself. From what I can see online, they’re almost like writer “huddles” with a smaller amount of writers. I think the abuse is studios are trying to pay less by stretching out the huddle duration to have them supplant traditional writers rooms at times. Or at least that is what I am getting from what I am reading

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
ChatGPT at the moment can only produce stuff like the "Intergalactic Cable" episodes of Rick and Morty. It can unintentionally stumble across some clever meme-like bits, but most of it sucks
This is the big thing though, what's it going to look like in a year?

Yeah, it sucks right now, but 6 months ago it couldn't do shit.

• 1Solidarity

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
ChatGPT at the moment can only produce stuff like the "Intergalactic Cable" episodes of Rick and Morty. It can unintentionally stumble across some clever meme-like bits, but most of it sucks

Jesus you are one completely retarded American Inventor. Talk about short sighted, it's almost as if you can't fathom they aren't competing against the AI of today, but scared of the AI of tomorrow.

Damn near every industry of somewhat monotonous bullshit is going to get upended. Hell AI is already replacing failed 2 viewer streamers like you wanted to be.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

I didn’t say it never will, people were saying chatgpt can replace shit now and it can’t

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Jesus you are one completely retarded American Inventor. Talk about short sighted, it's almost as if you can't fathom they aren't competing against the AI of today, but scared of the AI of tomorrow.

Damn near every industry of somewhat monotonous bullshit is going to get upended. Hell AI is already replacing failed 2 viewer streamers like you wanted to be.
You know Booze, if you learned to read and understand context, you'd have a shot at finally getting off welfare.

Within the context of this writer's guild strike, ChatGPT only has a modest impact at displacing scriptwriters for the kind of TV shows we're talking about. In the future? It'll probably be massive.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
It is interesting watching the dumb dumbs no apples deepthroat these fucking writers. Hollywood blows dick, the union of shit has no leverage and are more irrelevant than ever. You don't enter in talks for negotiation from a place of weakness.

There are more forms of entertainment than ever before, more dogshit on more platforms is being churned out than ever before 99.9% of it is total ass. Slap on DIE gayness in the mix and even when you have good writing it gets shit on with black characters or gayness.

People are turning to TikkyToks, YouTubes, and Twitch instead and you pathetic American Inventors want to make it more expensive to produce more worthless dogshit. The writing being on the wall for all hack talentless writers is just the chefs kiss but instead you think I am the one not seeing the full picture? Lololololololoool oh wait you're serious allow me to laugh even harder. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOL

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I look forward to AI generated scripts that will be more engaging and have fewer plot holes than what's happening now.

I know we mostly agree the AI isn't perfect yet, but remember we're comparing it to the TV shows of today, not TV shows from 20+ years ago.

Cybsled

I look forward to AI generated scripts that will be more engaging and have fewer plot holes than what's happening now.

I know we mostly agree the AI isn't perfect yet, but remember we're comparing it to the TV shows of today, not TV shows from 20+ years ago.

You sort of stumbled upon part of the problem: changes in how companies run this sort of thing

Think about news media. In the past, you had staff paid reporters and investigators. Now lots of media is “gig economy”. You basically pick up randos, have them churn out some shit, then kick them to the curb. This is especially pervasive in web content - some dork with an agenda churns out clickbait/anger pieces, then get thrown out so the next cheap clickbait/anger piece worker can produce more product

Entertainment (films/tv) trying to essentially replicate this model could mean we get less consistently decent content. The “mini room” abuse could play a role - less people means less feedback and voices, which means if your mini rooms are full of the wrong 2-3 people, no one is there to tell them no or offer alternatives to less than great ideas. Not saying traditional writer rooms are perfect, but a lot of shows we loved had great ideas that were refined by many people who worked together over a stretch of time

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Picard

Fadaar

That guy

a LOT of career fields should be scared of the AI of tomorrow

thats why im glad i picked a career field that'll be relatively difficult to completely replace

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
a LOT of career fields should be scared of the AI of tomorrow

thats why im glad i picked a career field that'll be relatively difficult to completely replace

Same. People can die and equipment can be destroyed if my programs are fucked up. I'll be long since retired by the time they are willing to trust that to AI.

Fadaar

That guy
Same. People can die and equipment can be destroyed if my programs are fucked up. I'll be long since retired by the time they are willing to trust that to AI.

while planes have become a lot more digital, things still require physical effort to troubleshoot/fix. cant AI fix a busted hydraulic line or popped tire.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

good info dump on the business of being a new writer. If a dude who worked on arguably one of the best shows in 2022 is basically broke its probably a hard career option. On the other hand he is black so maybe he spent all his money on jordans and balenciaga

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

good info dump on the business of being a new writer. If a dude who worked on arguably one of the best shows in 2022 is basically broke its probably a hard career option. On the other hand he is black so maybe he spent all his money on jordans and balenciaga

I've never heard of "The Bear". It was one of the best shows of 2022? Honestly that checks out and supports my point.

Goatface

Code:
Series Writing Credits 
Christopher Storer     ...     (created by) (8 episodes, 2022)

Karen Joseph Adcock     ...     (story editor) (8 episodes, 2022)
Sofya Levitsky-Weitz     ...     (story editor) (8 episodes, 2022)

Karen Joseph Adcock     ...     (written by) (1 episode, 2022)
Sofya Levitsky-Weitz     ...     (written by) (1 episode, 2022)
Christopher Storer     ...     (written by) (4 episodes, 2022)
Joanna Calo     ...     (written by) (2 episodes, 2022)
Rene Gube     ...     (written by) (1 episode, 2022)
Catherine Schetina     ...     (written by) (1 episode, 2022)

Alex O'Keefe     ...     (staff writer) (8 episodes, 2022)

dude didn't even get a full credit for an episode.

----
what i gather from the writers room, they normally have 2-3 lower tier people that make the minimum, one of them, most times doesn't even write, just there to learn how it works and get coffee. the union said they want to increase the number of people there and make sure they are diverse, especially on short seasons.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All this talk about whether or not an AI is capable of writing a good script. I figured I would ask the AI. It gave a pretty damn good answer.

AI has advanced significantly in recent years, and it is now possible for AI to write scripts. With the development of natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning techniques, AI can generate scripts that can be used in various applications, such as movies, TV shows, and advertising.
However, it's important to note that AI-generated scripts are not always of high quality or completely error-free. Although AI models have the ability to generate text that closely resembles human writing, they may lack the creativity and nuance that comes with human writing.
Additionally, the success of an AI-generated script depends on the quality of the input data that the model has been trained on. If the training data is biased or of low quality, the generated scripts may reflect that bias or lack of quality.
In summary, AI has the ability to write scripts, but the quality and success of the output depend on various factors, including the quality of input data, the complexity of the task, and the capability of the AI model.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

The fact that he is applying for jobs at movie theaters should clarify how little talent these hack fucks actually have. If he is such a gifted and skilled writer then why isn't he I don't know writing a fucking book or something. Nah American Inventors gonna serve popcorn... give me a fucking break.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
aviation maintenance/construction/testing. im sure at some point everything will be automated but i dont see it happening any time soon.
I work in automation, primarily vehicles.

Sign me up for paying a bit more for flying on airlines that don't try to pioneer automation of aviation maintenance/construction/testing.