Writers Guild Strike 2023

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone that thinks ChatGPT is going to be able to write anything interesting hasn't spent very long with ChatGPT.

I'm writing a novel that includes a lot of conversations with fairly rudimentary artificial intelligences (and a few more advanced ones) and I can't even get it to roleplay as an AI well enough to produce good dialogue of being an AI. Some interesting ideas? Sure. Actual good writing? No.
The model doesn't train/evolve in real time. Even if they were to ingest 10x more drivel from the internet as a dataset to train the GPT-5 model, the odds that it will produce 10x better, "more creative" results is very low.

There's a very good chance that we're near the limit of what you can do with LLM transformer architecture without some radical new advancement on top of transformers. There's still no real "knowledge" architecture or reasoning engine, it's just all weighted pattern matching.

It's not a novella, it's a novel. 33k words so far and 28k of them are actually pretty good. Aiming for 120-130k. Out of 4 serious attempts to write a novel in my life, it's going the best so far. It's a slightly goofy story set during the next big tech boom, when the technologies in the headlines today (crypto, metaverse, autonomous vehicles, AI, wearable OLED, headsets and 3D display tech) have matured modestly but nowhere near what was hyped, and are now just consumer gadgets and corporate IT systems that drive us nuts. No dystopia and no world-ending big bad, but a hopefully clever set of protagonists and an interesting antagonist AI that I think hasn't quite been done before.

When I am done, I will be releasing it for free, retaining the rights.

It's also about 20% about MMO-style games and addiction. There's a not-very-thinly veiled reference to the Sleeper, and a ton of WoW references too.

Aside from some help with getting names right (especially getting Indian and Middle Eastern names correct) and some advanced thesaurus abilities, ChatGPT has not been very useful, despite the fact that the main idea for the protagonist and antagonist came to me within minutes after interacting with ChatGPT.
Not bad...if it was a kid in grade school writing this
I just wanted to bump this thread because this video was in my recommended. Not that this video is special in particular, but he does give good examples of where AI has come in a year.

Despite working in tech, we have people like Mist who just for some reason can't comprehend exponential growth. I pointed out that yeah, maybe the writing sucks now, but it was only like 6 months in at that point. In the below video, he gives examples of how a year ago we had shitty Will Smith AI generated videos and now where we're at. Give it another year and humans will be obsolete.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I just wanted to bump this thread because this video was in my recommended. Not that this video is special in particular, but he does give good examples of where AI has come in a year.

Despite working in tech, we have people like Mist who just for some reason can't comprehend exponential growth. I pointed out that yeah, maybe the writing sucks now, but it was only like 6 months in at that point. In the below video, he gives examples of how a year ago we had shitty Will Smith AI generated videos and now where we're at. Give it another year and humans will be obsolete.

I don't dispute that it's hard to predict where AI videos or writing will go, but a video on how AI-created videos have evolved with Sora isn't a very compelling argument against how LLMs will have diminishing returns on producing high quality writing.

What old nerds like us have seen repeatedly is that technology capability often follows a sigmoid function

sigmoid-function.png

Where some new innovation causes exponential growth in capability, followed by a logarithmic decrease as that capability reaches effective limits dictated by physics, mathematics, etc. The current approach with LLMs is *somewhere* in that exponential growth phase, and predicting when it'll start to taper off for a given approach (in this case, writing scripts or screenplays) is foolish.

Personally I think LLMs will be very well suited to creating good writing on a micro-level for a variety of reasons, including how organized screenplay data already is, how quickly humans can review an LLM-generated line and how quickly LLMs will be able to perform semi-random association, which is a core component to humor.

I still have fun now and then creating AI-art and AI-stories with my 9 year old. He's growing up with those tools and I think his writing will be improved by it as it evolves. I don't mind being the fool that says AI (via LLMs or another approach) will be an essential companion to writers as their relative importance and headcount in creating TV shows and movies diminishes.

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe you're right. But even in that case, it looks like this:

Untitled.png

Not just a one off where everything plateaus and stays there forever.

But AI is also different. What about when it surpasses human capabilities?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Despite working in tech, we have people like Mist who just for some reason can't comprehend exponential growth.
There aren't going to be exponentially more GPUs, exponentially more wattage available to power then, nor exponentially larger training sets.

There's no intelligence trick at work here, this is all done with brute-force compute.

Like yes, I can see some odd scenarios where we end up turning the entire world into datacenter to build a few big brains just to remix all of our old videos into crappy new movies instead of just making the movies ourselves? But that's almost farcical.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The biggest question is: why do we need this and what problem does it solve?

A giant machine that turns out infinite crappy entertainment is what we already have: Hollywood and the video game industry.

Even in the 'ideal' scenario where we end up in a world in which everyone gets their own custom cultural artifacts algorithmically created just for them, that's actually dystopian. The value of art and culture is giving people shared context for understanding reality and each other.

So ultimately, I think this technology will use a LOT of energy and hardware to create something that is actually bad. I believe we're hurtling headlong towards an age of inhumanity and this is just the bleeding edge of it.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Eh, not really. That's like, the 10th biggest question here at best.

Biggest question is probably, "Can I make $$$ by selling this?". And the answer is yes.

#8 biggest question might be, "Does this decrease the barrier to entry for creating this kind of content?" and the answer is most definitely yes. The tip of this spear in this domain is detailed 2d art, where many people are able to participate in creating illustrations who would otherwise never dream of it.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Biggest question is probably, "Can I make $$$ by selling this?". And the answer is yes.
Remains to be seen. Without VC cash, none of these things are remotely profitable. The compute is way too expensive. Compute, and the energy it requires, would have to get a LOT cheaper and Moore's Law is pretty fuckin' dead at this point.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider

Sora is going to single-handedly kill the stock footage industry. I was on a Shark Week show last year and we had to pull a lot of stock footage of specific species of sharks doing specific things. There is not a lot of that kind of footage out there, and from what there is, it is extremely expensive. We spent thousands and thousands of dollars on stock footage for one show. Now imagine if we could generate any stock footage we need for any of our shows with a single Sora subscription. That's a game-changer.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Unless you want stock footage of things that are actually real.

AP will still exist and they will still be sending photographers to cover stories and events for news articles. For all of the after-the-fact for-profit documentaries, I guarantee you that if they have the ability to save money by generating something that looks just enough like the real event (even if it wasn't the real event), they will.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
AP will still exist and they will still be sending photographers to cover stories and events for news articles. For all of the after-the-fact for-profit documentaries, I guarantee you that if they have the ability to save money by generating something that looks just enough like the real event (even if it wasn't the real event), they will.

This does sound like game changer. Kinda like how drones made getting aerial shots way cheaper vs having to use a helicopter. Soon you can get all kinds of bits of footage created with AI to fill for all sorts of shots.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Will spamming prompts end up being cheaper than the already-very-good CGI tools we already have?

A whole lot of prompt-based, generative AI is just a toy in search of a problem. Prompting isn't stable or predictable enough for enterprise applications, this is obvious to anyone trying to build with it in the contact center industry right now.

Like yes, there will likely end up being a lot of subscription tier-based "creative companion" features built into office and art apps. But I think people are underestimating how hard it is to integrate generative AI into typical tools, or how computationally expensive it is to just keep spamming prompts until you get something you like, which you'd have to do with video.

"It'll just keep getting better, magically, on its own" is a total myth based on the anthropomorphizing of these tools. They're not big brains that keep getting smarter, they're static models that slowly get fine-tuned for specific applications, at a high compute cost.

People have just lost all sense of skepticism when it comes to these things.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Will spamming prompts end up being cheaper than the already-very-good CGI tools we already have?

A whole lot of prompt-based, generative AI is just a toy in search of a problem. Prompting isn't stable or predictable enough for enterprise applications, this is obvious to anyone trying to build with it in the contact center industry right now.

Like yes, there will likely end up being a lot of subscription tier-based "creative companion" features built into office and art apps. But I think people are underestimating how hard it is to integrate generative AI into typical tools, or how computationally expensive it is to just keep spamming prompts until you get something you like, which you'd have to do with video.

"It'll just keep getting better, magically, on its own" is a total myth based on the anthropomorphizing of these tools. They're not big brains that keep getting smarter, they're static models that slowly get fine-tuned for specific applications, at a high compute cost.

People have just lost all sense of skepticism when it comes to these things.

Yes, spamming prompts is FAR cheaper than CGI tools. Nobody is using CGI for stock footage. That's extremely cost-prohibitive considering how expensive it is to higher the artists (you need a modeler, texturer, lighting artist, and compositor at minimum, and most of the time those people can't work together without a coordinator) vs. having a "junior archival producer" (intern) spending an afternoon throwing prompts into Sora.

The enterprise subscription could cost $10,000 a month and networks like Discovery would still save money on it compared to what they spend on stock footage.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
i didn't realize the latest round of sora prompt videos looks so crazy good. its wild how much its advanced in just 1 year, i'm starting to believe the nvidia CEO when he says its pointless investing a ton of money into making chips better and better because in the next 10 years AI itself will start designing chips better than humans can.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
i didn't realize the latest round of sora prompt videos looks so crazy good. its wild how much its advanced in just 1 year, i'm starting to believe the nvidia CEO when he says its pointless investing a ton of money into making chips better and better because in the next 10 years AI itself will start designing chips better than humans can.

The closer you look the weirder it gets.

This one is just weird as hell:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Don't worry, Mist Mist has assured us this is all a giant waste of time.

He's really doubling down on this. It's going to be like Robert Reich and his "internet is just a passing fad" quote.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Don't worry, Mist Mist has assured us this is all a giant waste of time.

He's really doubling down on this. It's going to be like Robert Reich and his "internet is just a passing fad" quote.
It's mostly just copying and splicing shit dude. It's all a grift.

Will parts of this tech slowly make its way into other products? Sure. Will we all be prompt engineering everything 10 years from now? Fucking no.

Spicy autocomplete is a not a panacea. But yes, marketing companies will abuse the shit out of this stuff for a while, because even when it looks weird, looking for the weirdness captures your attention, at least until you get bored of it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Here's the full "paper." Really, marketing material.

A lot of this is very impressive. It doesn't say how many city blocks worth of electricity it took to generate some of these, but I can definitely see this tech being built into existing video editing tools with a very pricey license and a lot of costly cloud compute.

People are going to make some awesome ads with this stuff, but I block all those so who cares?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

Here's the full "paper." Really, marketing material.

A lot of this is very impressive. It doesn't say how many city blocks worth of electricity it took to generate some of these, but I can definitely see this tech being built into existing video editing tools with a very pricey license and a lot of costly cloud compute.

People are going to make some awesome ads with this stuff, but I block all those so who cares?
Jesus Christ, your mewling about power consumption is so fucking retarded.

My genuine hope is that these endeavors suck so much power out of the grid that it causes rolling blackouts (in shithole states like California) and forces the hands of everyone involved to the decades-late realization that we never had a power generation crisis, only a crisis of faggots unwilling to embrace nuclear power as the actual, literal answer to all our energy problems.

• 1Like