WTF? Everquest... 3?

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
They need to make a Champions of Norrath 3 tbh...the first 2 were fun.

EQ2 is such a good game that they'd logically need to follow it up with another genre buster

I love games where stats on items extend my entire 24 inch monitor. Also I hope EQ3 has lots of elevator bosses because EQ2 pathing was so good on them.

Also bring back Vanguard and just call that EQ3

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't even know what I'd want EQ3 to look like. I play EQ1 every fall when a new expansion comes out and the situation Pharone Pharone described has, by accident, produced a really unique game that has a weird combination of gameplay depth and complexity that is really interesting to me. It's like playing a survival game using tools from the ruins of several different lost civilizations. There's so much weird content and gameplay mechanics that it all just kind of works for me.

As for EQ's future and the promise of EQ3, I think this question of Holly was the most elucidating on that front:
41. Are there any plans to increase the operating budget of EQ, or is management's plan to continue to slowly reduce its size from its current "4.5 artists, 5.3 designers, and 5.7 programmers" despite "the fact that the EverQuest team has been continually begging management for 2 additional content designers for multiple years to no avail". (Quotes from Dzarn).

Holly: That’s literally my business, not yours.

I don't think they can be successful doing anything new with the IP that in any way resembles an MMORPG without bleeding away from their current base. The competition in the MMO scene is too strong, too expensive. They'd be better off creating some mobile game nobody wants like Quineloe Quineloe says.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Tuco's probably right. "EQ3" will come from an indie developer imo. We won't get what we want from anyone currently in the industry.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
warrior was carrying sword on his back, when he meets up w/ his crew, it's on his waist
They had to beat WoW to release, else they wouldn't have have successfully competed with it. No time to fix small things like that.

iannis

Musty Nester
I expect EQ3 to happen.

I expect it not to be a MMO of any sort, but a shameless nostalgia shovelware cashgrab.

Shit's dead bros. You wanna go digging at the grave be prepared for the stench.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Honestly I would be more shocked if eq3 did not happen or at least was seriously attempted again. They almost have to for their company to have any chance at really going anywhere.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
EQ3 with badass gameplay and a world/lobby shit more akin to Destiny/Anthem wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

and probably cheaper to make then a full blown MMO

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
EQ2 is such a good game that they'd logically need to follow it up with another genre buster

43204137_1983777174978851_2311830872229150720_o.jpg

• 2Barf
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
And people that play that game love 4000 abilities on their screen because they say it makes the game hard.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The most disguisting thing about that screenshot is the size of the text in the chatbox

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
It's quite pathetic that with the size of the gaming industry and so many out there looking for something different that we don't have a real EQ MMO again. It's like they look at the numbers of ESO or FF and get intimidated... does a company the size of DBG need millions of subs to sustain a good game ? Everyone plays video games now, everyone.. go get em with something different(old school) and that IP.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The most disguisting thing about that screenshot is the size of the text in the chatbox
108 abilities
45 buff icons.
Huge chat text
UI that covers 66% of the screen
Shopping cart bottom right

Horrible.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Still think they should do something with both the IP and the software they have. The EQ1 server backend handles combat, chat, spells, pathing, item database and all that other stuff an MMO needs to function, and it has 20 years of development in it making it far more robust than anything written from scratch would be. The server backend could easily be made to interface with a newer client. Developing a new "EQ3" client with new graphics and zones is still a lot of work, but having the server backend ready to go is a serious asset that they should do something more with.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That backend is probably 20 years out of date in terms of optimizations and tech improvements though

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, they've said more than once that they wouldn't touch a certain thing because it's so old and they don't understand it enough. A lot of that shit is probably undocumented spaghetti code.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not really an issue if it works, and writing everything from scratch has its own pitfalls too. Having the thing not break in subscription-killing ways on your launch day is invaluable, there's been enough spectacular failures in MMO history. Especially in these days of twitch and twitter, if your first couple of hours are bad you are probably throwing away tens of thousands of potential customers.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It'd be so frustrating for EQ subscribers to see DBG come out with a new EQ game that nobody wants paid for by the profits from EQ1/EQ2 while they have a minimal skeleton crew they overwork and still only have enough time to add in three new zones a year with incremental upgrades to gear / abilities and nothing really new.