WTF? Everquest... 3?

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Didn't Curt light about $60m or $70m on fire trying to make his MMO and still had nearly nothing to show for it?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Didn't Curt light about $60m or $70m on fire trying to make his MMO and still had nearly nothing to show for it?
This goes back to the part about having the talent to use the tools to their fullest. Curt wasted shit tons of money on R.A. Salvatore and Todd Mcfarlane.

I have nothing against Curt, and I really wanted him to succeed. But, he wasted money horribly just like Brad. The only difference is that Brad wasted his money on drugs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
How many devs do you need to rack up a $70 million bill? My point above is that the tools are getting easier to use and a single dev can do significantly more work. It just doesn't add up to this silly numbers people pull out of their ass.

An indie team could do an MMO, for sure.
The tech is there and accessible.

Couple big problems: Art is expensive. Unless you plan to use Marketplace assets, a major cost will be creating art assets. Characters alone are expensive and time consuming. There really isn't a streamlined method to do well-done characters. Heck, Epic spent $12 million to create 26 characters for Paragon, scrapped the game and released them to the Unreal community. Imagine an MMO where you have TONS more assets... since the point is customizing characters & having a lot of variations. So either you skimp on cost and use characters that are quickly generated or you spend $$$ developing unique AAA characters.

Also keep in mind how many AI Characters/Mobs need to be created. Though with less detail, and can be more generic, but still.

THEN, you have World design/art. Do you purchase marketplace assets or do you create everything from scratch? For performance you'll want to stay away from the Marketplace, IMO. Also everything needs to fit the same art style, so generally you need to create it all to do that. Again, an indie team has no problem leveraging marketplaces, but a AAA studio will look foolish doing so.

You still need a team that can take the art assets and create engaging content, write quests, loot, etc etc etc. An MMO has a TON of systems compared to most other games.

But yea, an indie team CAN do an MMO... it would be very bare-bones / scaled back. Probably lacking some systems you've become accustomed to and you'll easily see a lot of buggy behavior, because simple fact is huge worlds are hard to do right without a lot of development time.

Lets look at some Avg salaries for game development, ranges vary a lot but this seems reasonable for an AAA studio that provides benefits, a lot of overhead costs at a AAA studio:

Artists: $75k/yr
Designer: $75k/yr
Developer: 100k/yr
Programmer: $100k/yr

Now how many do you need of each? Pantheon has a dev team of around 35 based on their "team page". A team of 35 seems small, and Pantheon is already on year 6 or 7 of development.

Add in office/hardware/software.
Voice actors, Motion Cap team/actors.
Music & Sound design
Servers... AWS adds up quickly.

What did Schilling spend with little to show? $50M?
I'd say 50M is bare-bones to get a AAA out the door with all the expected bells & whistles.

Also the biggest expense: Advertising. A Triple-A game is going to need to spend more on Advertising then game development.
At best I'd wager it's a 1:1 ratio: spend 50M making the game, spend 50M to advertise it.

just my 2c.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Awesome Post
Thanks! Happy to be corrected on it being a random number. I do feel that if a small studio was willing to cut corners on character models and animations (say ~50 unique models + lean heavily on reskins and humanoid enemies) plus did something like an EQ style one look per armor type system you could reduce the costs drastically. People on this forum are always saying shit like "I would love a game just like EQ but with better graphics". This is the type of route you would need to take to make that happen imo.

I feel like you could create some cool and unique systems with only a small development team. Combine this with a willingness to take some hits on the art side of things (Asset store environment items) and it seems feasible. It is a lot easier to go back and retroactively update graphics if your game is actually good and people play it. Also worth noting you could do something like a low poly art style and disregard a lot of this issue. Something similar to Albion Online for example.

Regarding marketing I'm a fan of the idea of a good game selling itself over time. This is obviously pretty idealistic but honestly I think you only need ~1000 players to keep you afloat with a tight team and smart monetization. Word of mouth will do the rest.

Sounds like you know a lot more about the industry than I do. My opinions are mostly coming from playing with various tools available for the last year or so and dreaming big.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks! Happy to be corrected on it being a random number. I do feel that if a small studio was willing to cut corners on character models and animations (say ~50 unique models + lean heavily on reskins and humanoid enemies) plus did something like an EQ style one look per armor type system you could reduce the costs drastically. People on this forum are always saying shit like "I would love a game just like EQ but with better graphics". This is the type of route you would need to take to make that happen imo.

I feel like you could create some cool and unique systems with only a small development team. Combine this with a willingness to take some hits on the art side of things (Asset store environment items) and it seems feasible. It is a lot easier to go back and retroactively update graphics if your game is actually good and people play it. Also worth noting you could do something like a low poly art style and disregard a lot of this issue. Something similar to Albion Online for example.

Regarding marketing I'm a fan of the idea of a good game selling itself over time. This is obviously pretty idealistic but honestly I think you only need ~1000 players to keep you afloat with a tight team and smart monetization. Word of mouth will do the rest.

Sounds like you know a lot more about the industry than I do. My opinions are mostly coming from playing with various tools available for the last year or so and dreaming big.

Don't think I'm an expert on the matter, just what I've researched over the years, discussed with current/former game devs, and from my experience with my own little project(s): I've been making a game (release before Pantheon?)

I could be very wrong. The more I think about it, the more $50M seems unrealistic for a AAA MMO. It's amazing how fast you can burn through cash. If your game takes over 5 years to create (most MMO), you're looking at some astronomical numbers.

• 1Like

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The thing I can’t ever figure out is how the old games ever got made.. I mean Eq or Daoc can’t have cost 50m back then but now with all the new tech and tools it feels like programmer productivity is actually significantly worse.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Don't think I'm an expert on the matter, just what I've researched over the years, discussed with current/former game devs, and from my experience with my own little project(s): I've been making a game (release before Pantheon?)

I could be very wrong. The more I think about it, the more $50M seems unrealistic for a AAA MMO. It's amazing how fast you can burn through cash. If your game takes over 5 years to create (most MMO), you're looking at some astronomical numbers.

I think it's not even close. Wow was made with 60 people, and they used a lot of recycled assets and low res models. Today, a small team of 100 quality people would cost $100MM in salary and benefits over 5 years. This doesn't include the cost of getting those employees, either. Good employees want bonuses and annual raises. More $$$$$$$$$.

Big building in a nice area isn't cheap, either. Around here, a nice building for that many people will cost you $5MM in 5 years for lease. A nice office in a popular tech city will cost WAY more than that. And then there's taxes, insurance, utilities, hardware, software, and the bazillion incidentals that come along with running a business. $150MM not only seems like a reasonable number, but also a small number for a project with a long development time and a small chance of success.

People wonder why companies don't make MMO's anymore.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The thing I can’t ever figure out is how the old games ever got made.. I mean Eq or Daoc can’t have cost 50m back then but now with all the new tech and tools it feels like programmer productivity is actually significantly worse.

Original EQ had a shell of an MMO by today's standards. Google says EQ had a budget of 3M, which is ~5M after inflation. How much broken shit did EQ have, empty zones, low res models, so many missing systems. Practically no raid content at release. Also their team size was super small and everyone wore multiple hats. You didn't mocap or voiceover anything. Just super-bare-bones.

A small team could do the same thing today, with better graphics, but would it be played? Probably not. EQ had the benefit of being 1st. Nowadays an MMO needs to come out of the gates with every bell+whistle + something extra to even capture a small audience.

I think it's not even close. Wow was made with 60 people, and they used a lot of recycled assets and low res models. Today, a small team of 100 quality people would cost $100MM in salary and benefits over 5 years. This doesn't include the cost of getting those employees, either. Good employees want bonuses and annual raises. More $$$$$$$$$.

Big building in a nice area isn't cheap, either. Around here, a nice building for that many people will cost you $5MM in 5 years for lease. A nice office in a popular tech city will cost WAY more than that. And then there's taxes, insurance, utilities, hardware, software, and the bazillion incidentals that come along with running a business. $150MM not only seems like a reasonable number, but also a small number for a project with a long development time and a small chance of success.

People wonder why companies don't make MMO's anymore.

I agree. My 50M number was mainly thinking about a small team running at peak efficiency, but it's a helluva stretch.
At the salaries I posted, 35 people = ~$15M for 5 years. Make it 30M for 70 people and figure 20M for Overheads/everything else could be doable, but really idk. Give me 50M and I'll be willing to try :D

dizzie

Triggered Happy

Curt said he lost 50 million of his own money when 38 studios folded. I'm not sure how much they bought in with deals and investments but it's probably safe to assume that the whole thing lost over 100million.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Original EQ had a shell of an MMO by today's standards. Google says EQ had a budget of 3M, which is ~5M after inflation. How much broken shit did EQ have, empty zones, low res models, so many missing systems. Practically no raid content at release. Also their team size was super small and everyone wore multiple hats. You didn't mocap or voiceover anything. Just super-bare-bones.

I would only make one argument here.. and that is perspective. Complaints like original EQ being "low res" is silly and unfair to compare to today's market. For it's day, EQ was developed when most people didn't have internet and fancy 3D video cards were rare and extremely costly. It was being coded and built from what, 1996? The game was groundbreaking, massive, and pretty damn cutting edge for its time.

One could argue that it was a bigger gamble then vs today.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I would only make one argument here.. and that is perspective. Complaints like original EQ being "low res" is silly and unfair to compare to today's market. For it's day, EQ was developed when most people didn't have internet and fancy 3D video cards were rare and extremely costly. It was being coded and built from what, 1996? The game was groundbreaking, massive, and pretty damn cutting edge for its time.

One could argue that it was a bigger gamble then vs today.

I shouldn't have brought up graphics my main reason was to say they cut a lot of corners with the graphics. Which was smart and necessary.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
This goes back to the part about having the talent to use the tools to their fullest. Curt wasted shit tons of money on R.A. Salvatore and Todd Mcfarlane.

I have nothing against Curt, and I really wanted him to succeed. But, he wasted money horribly just like Brad. The only difference is that Brad wasted his money on drugs.

This.. Curt wasted a SHIT TON of money putting big names on the header without caring if they could actually work together or even deliver. Then they played that whole shell game with people's lives at the end that really fucked a lot of people.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
How many devs do you need to rack up a $70 million bill? My point above is that the tools are getting easier to use and a single dev can do significantly more work. It just doesn't add up to this silly numbers people pull out of their ass.

Getting an MMO to a release state with enough content to last more than a week takes A LOT of time, and time == money. Quality developers are not cheap. Art takes A LOT of time. If you want a game that's debugged sufficiently, that takes a lot of testing, which means a lot of people, which means a lot of money. I would say $50 million is a reasonable budget for a true AAA-level MMO, unless you go nuts with things like voiceovers, motion capture, etc.. It also requires you to not make mistakes that require redevelopment or restarts. Vanilla WoW was probably somewhere in the $50mil range if I remember correctly..

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Sorry... they need to get their companies out of "hi I attended a programming boot camp, pay me 150k a year" San Fran and other SV centers and go out to the SE USA.

Import some gosh darn South Korean artists and 3D animators - that is one of the most amazing things is Asia pushes out amazing looking games like hotcakes.

You do not need 100m... you need passion that is willing to hand off to talent to have them run and create under your guidance.

Take a crazy Asian mmo that looks amazing refined by American foundational systems and combat and story. Boom

Fucker

Log Wizard
This.. Curt wasted a SHIT TON of money putting big names on the header without caring if they could actually work together or even deliver. Then they played that whole shell game with people's lives at the end that really fucked a lot of people.

This is the same guy who promised to pay for people's houses so they could move and get into their jobs quickly, only to not bother paying for the houses at all. IIRC, a few people wound up with a giant hole in their bank accounts and no home from that one.

We can't forget all of RI's money he spent. How much was that?

That guy screwed over a LOT of people on that venture and took no responsibility for it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Why not just work from home? Many of these jobs can be done win the comfort of your home these days with face to face meetings, high speed net, etc... this could be a benefit if you think about it, plus you could hire people from all over the US, even form abroad to work on your shit. The only problem I could see with a set up like this is software licensing for the more pricey stuff you guys use.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It totally makes sense, the trouble is most company bosses are super type A gung ho ra ra go team blah blah. That's why there's so many pit style offices with everyone crammed in one room to encourage uhhh something? Collaboration?

Anyone who actually works in one of those knows how godawful they are. Impossible to concentrate in that environment.

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Plus if you think about it, imagine the traffic this type of system would alleviate, not to mention the pollution, etc.. Im betting 95% of all office type jobs could be handled this way. Were all adults here, set up realistic milestones to meet and if not met, your ass is gone. You could also charge by the job, fuck the hourly shit. Set up realistic price points for content, code, deliverables, etc.. Im betting people would be even more productive this way. I know I am when working at home when offered up before.

Last edited:
  • 1Like