Xbox Megathread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My initial impressions when the Series X cube was unveiled weren't that high. But, it has definitely grown on me. I really like the look of the Series X now. It is small, fits its space well, and the uniform design works great standing or laying down. I really like the controller as well. It is very comfortable in my hands, even for long marathon sessions. The batteries last FOREVER.

From a hardware standpoint, I love the system. Probably give it a 9/10. They just need to start coming out with a steady stream of games worth playing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
xbox services are completely fucked, its fascinating to see what works and what doesn't. games i own (digital) work fine when I go into offline mode, but any gamepass games won't run at all as they are failing server authentication and you can't run gamepass games offline. no bueno

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Only thing that annoys me about series x on it's side is the power light X looks like a lazy eye. Other than that looks good and more my style aesthetic.

The controller felt cheap and the right trigger stuck bad. RMA was slow, but now after a few days finally playing with the replacement controller I like it. Feels better generally to me. I suck at thumb sticks, but new controllers seem easier for me to control in racing or FPS games without spazzing the stick all the way. Best part is they didn't request the old controller back and the sticking trigger seems to be clearing up, so have a nice matching pair now.

Speaking of. Dirt 4 was sim-racing enough it was hard for me using a controller. But Dirt 5 is easy with controller, but pure arcade trash. I love when Gamepass saves me money by letting me try games I would regret buying.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
xbox services are completely fucked, its fascinating to see what works and what doesn't. games i own (digital) work fine when I go into offline mode, but any gamepass games won't run at all as they are failing server authentication and you can't run gamepass games offline. no bueno

On the Xbox status page "close to a resolution" has been updated to "taking longer than anticipated" after what 4 hours now? Something really broke this time.

I can't play offline digital games I guess because my old console is designated as the 'home' so gf can play gamepass games on it in the bedroom. Can play disk games, but assume they won't save since last time I played AC Odyssey for 2 days in offline mode traveling and none of it saved.

Raises lots of questions over how much we actually "own" these games.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah but i don't really buy the whole "own physical to keep it forever", thats pretty much bullshit too since nowadays games ship in a super rough state on disc and pretty much NEED a patch to function, with the exception of japanese studios. I mean, imagine playing Cyberpunk 1.0 lol. and more and more games do way more online, like Microsoft Flight Simulator is an entirely different game if it can't connect to the cloud which does 90% of the work in computing map information, weather, routes, etc.

even still there is maybe only 2-3 games a decade I give a shit about, and those I can pirate images of complete, patched editions and keep on PC foreversies. and never really play them again once i finish

anyways xbox went up last night, i played a few games no problem. still crazy how it was down for basically 12 hours, wonder what the story was. Also Rogue Squadron coming to GPU next month, but I "finished" the main story on PS5 and it sucked. boring ass characters and a story that felt massively underwhelming.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was the only thing down authentication servers for stuff like Game Pass? I played Outriders demo for about six of those twelve hours without any trouble at all.

Happysmiles

Trakanon Raider
I was split on the AA batteries for the controller. After buying some cheap rechargeable ones on Amazon, I actually prefer it now. With the PS4, when one controller died I had to charge it and use my second controller. If I didn't play for a few months, both controllers were dead and I had to play wired in. But with the AA batteries, I just switch them out and have to make sure I recharge the AA after they die. And if I didn't have any charged, can just grab regular AA batteries and still play without wiring in.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was split on the AA batteries for the controller. After buying some cheap rechargeable ones on Amazon, I actually prefer it now. With the PS4, when one controller died I had to charge it and use my second controller. If I didn't play for a few months, both controllers were dead and I had to play wired in. But with the AA batteries, I just switch them out and have to make sure I recharge the AA after they die. And if I didn't have any charged, can just grab regular AA batteries and still play without wiring in.
Yeah, that was exactly my experience with it too. AAs suck, but after buying a bunch of Beboncool 2550-2600 mAh battery packs for my controllers I far prefer it this way. Bonus points for MS not being assholes and keeping the battery compartment exactly the same so that old ones work with XSX controllers too.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
You don’t own them. You have a license to use them.

Huh. Never thought of it like that. That is a very amazing point, and one I wish I had been making.

Glad I still own my car, though, and not just a software license to operate it as well.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
yeah but i don't really buy the whole "own physical to keep it forever", thats pretty much bullshit too since nowadays games ship in a super rough state on disc and pretty much NEED a patch to function, with the exception of japanese studios. I mean, imagine playing Cyberpunk 1.0 lol. and more and more games do way more online, like Microsoft Flight Simulator is an entirely different game if it can't connect to the cloud which does 90% of the work in computing map information, weather, routes, etc.

Needing to patch a game isn't the point. Have always needed to patch games. I'm sure we all have PC games right now we could pop the disk in and patch and play. Even patch downloading from third-party sources. I have patches, workarounds and mods saved on discs so I could install, patch and play even without internet access. It could still be this way, even/especially as consoles become more like prefab PCs.

We are not gamers, we're data generators and advertising marks. They can't have people playing games in ignorance without the latest black lives matter banners on the home screen of their consoles. And definitely can't have them playing games and letting all that valuable data going uncollected and marketing opportunities go to waste.

I accept the terms of modern gaming, even though it's absurd and in my opinion evil, but it's not because of games needing patches or online function things are this way.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Huh. Never thought of it like that. That is a very amazing point, and one I wish I had been making.

Glad I still own my car, though, and not just a software license to operate it as well.

Just wait..... "your tesla License has expired, please input more credits"

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

spronk

FPS noob
stadia cancelled a horror episodic game with Hideo Kojima apparently last year

i put this in the xbox thread because recently Phil was on a video stream and someone noticed a Hideo Kojima statue hidden in the back corner. In the past Phil has put little easter eggs like this before big announcements, like a Skyrim statue before the Zenimax purchase, etc.

Be pretty interesting if Xbox gets an exclusive Kojima horror game

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
473D38AA-55E3-4055-9F53-E00FBA55BD4B.jpeg

Rumors

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God

Stave

Potato del Grande
Walmart dropping PS5's today at 3pm ET and Xbox Series X at 2:30pm ET. Get logged in and get it open in a browser if you want to snag one fast.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
All the sports. NBA2k1 is only the prior gen version. Shitty.

1614895248213.png

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Glad I did not buy Star wars Squadrons for $30 last month.....

• 1Like