XCOM 2

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
This is much better news than a new Bioshock game.

Day one purchase, loved Xcom, though hope they do make it a tad more complex than the base game. Either like the original or like Long War.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I agree with gavin overall, though maybe not for the finer details. The mechanic for revealing alien positions was often too dangerous, thus resulting in an injured veteran team member. So now you either play the next mission with a handicap(rookie) or you save scum to prevent your experienced member from getting shot.

Kinda silly to reward the player for completing a mission by making them less powerful for the next one. You can have backups(which still requires playing at least some missions at a handicap), but fuck their tedious UI for switching loadouts every mission.

Of course, the third option is to turtle up and hope the aliens meander into your overwatch crossfire, but that's more boring than save scumming.
I just took ground that I knew I could take. I started out by bum rushing the map but once you start to just leapfrog the mechanics of revealing weren't very punishing.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I just took ground that I knew I could take. I started out by bum rushing the map but once you start to just leapfrog the mechanics of revealing weren't very punishing.
That's the boring part though, it's essentially a moving turtle(testudo?). Any map, or game for that matter, becomes boring when there's essentially only one choice for tackling a problem. Where's my lightning team comp that blitz the map and punches them in the mouth? Oh, I've got this map? I'll take this team.

Injured teammate vs save scumming is still a problem even in the above scenario, it just happen less often so it become tolerable. It's still a shitty choice to put before the player.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Guess I should finally pick up EW during the sale and try Long War. I liked the combat, but the base building and management ruined EU for me.

khorum

Murder Apologist
If the base building and resource metagame turned you off, you're not gonna enjoy Long War.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
That's the boring part though, it's essentially a moving turtle(testudo?). Any map, or game for that matter, becomes boring when there's essentially only one choice for tackling a problem. Where's my lightning team comp that blitz the map and punches them in the mouth? Oh, I've got this map? I'll take this team.

Injured teammate vs save scumming is still a problem even in the above scenario, it just happen less often so it become tolerable. It's still a shitty choice to put before the player.
I agree, in part. I think a lot of this could've been fixed with earlier access to better scouting mechanics. Reward the player for playing smart;
- Perk-based battle scanners early in support/scout/engineer trees (longer range), and longer lasting (4-5 turns instead of 2)
- Something prior to the Hyperwave Relay that gives you advance notice of what enemy composition is on missions
- All enemies and soldiers should not share the same sight range. Ex. a Low Profile Scout should avoid Seekers but can get in firing range of a Muton pack without setting them off.

Long War had the opportunity to do this but decided instead to make the game punish you even harder for aggressive movement (such as giving Sprinter/Lightning Reflex perks to cryssalids by mid game).
That said, I still enjoy the hell out of it but I will certainly "Fuck This" save scum a terrible pack aggro.

Hoping for some more early game focus on stealth / ground control in the next one.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Guess I should finally pick up EW during the sale and try Long War. I liked the combat, but the base building and management ruined EU for me.
Play vanilla EW first IMO, giving you quite a few fixed missions improved the game a lot for me.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You haven't really lived until you've done Iron Man Long War, even on the lower difficulty settings.

If you want to play the game aggressively, just play on normal or casual and save scum a lot. The originals punished overly aggressive play pretty heavily, which is why any time you see a lets play of the originals, it mostly involves one or two disposable scouts revealing aliens while the rest of the team snipes them down one by one from out of line of sight. The whole point of the game is that you're against a force with both superior numbers and superior technology. You can't win an attrition war, which is why neither game plays out like an action movie. Hell, with the new leveling system in the remake your dudes practically do become action movie heroes, as opposed to the original where you have a couple psionic supertroopers backed by a legion of faceless red shirts.

I like that in Long War it's actually possible to flat out lose the game. The only time I ever 'lost' an eu/ew playthrough was if I was playing I/I and got two bad council missions in row, which cripples the campaign unless you get incredibly lucky.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Xcom and Enemy Unknown are on Steam sale today for 75% + off, fyi.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd also get Operation Slingshot and the Elite Soldier pack. Soldier pack is just cosmetic shit, but who doesn't want at least one trooper with the Guile haircut from the original game along on every mission for luck? Operation Slingshot is a mission pack, and Shaojie is my boy. Severely unbalances the base game, but Long War tones down the rewards quite a bit.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Oh that literally just happened.
Yeah that's why I figured should give you a heads up.

I'd also get Operation Slingshot and the Elite Soldier pack. Soldier pack is just cosmetic shit, but who doesn't want at least one trooper with the Guile haircut from the original game along on every mission for luck? Operation Slingshot is a mission pack, and Shaojie is my boy. Severely unbalances the base game, but Long War tones down the rewards quite a bit.
Agree

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just noticed this was announced as PC exclusive. Here's hoping to camera controls that aren't so fucking janky this time!

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Is Long War available through Steam workshop? Or only up on Nexus?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nexus only afaik. It's a relatively small download and has its own installer.

If you've never tried it before you're in for an assbeating.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!