XCOM 2

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Any tips on classes for Long War? Do snipers get good, because they sure seem like shit at the start.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Long War - UFOpaedia

Infantry will be a bread and butter class throughout the game if you build them right. Snipers aren't quite the killing machines they were in the base game, but they're still an ok class and disabling shot is a campaign saving ability if you aren't save scumming. Assaults are best early when fewer aliens means you can get away with more aggressive play, and they retain their strength in the midgame when you have to deal with chrysallids, seekers, and berserkers rushing your squad.

Rocketeers are ok early, but shine in the mid and late game. Engineers are good the whole game, whether you use them with offensive grenades or support grenades. They also make one of the better arc thrower dudes since they can get a skill that gives them 3 arcs per mission. Gunners are a bit weak early, but strong in the mid and late game with HEAT ammo. Scouts are an excellent utility class the whole game. Medics are either useless or great depending on your playstyle and whether you use the red fog second wave option.

Can't tell you about which classes make good MECs because I haven't played since the big MEC overhaul.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Tonight on Long War, back-to-back-to-back Terror mission, Large UFO landing, Swarming Abduction.

Operation 'Unceasing Pipe' indeed.

rrr_img_99075.jpg

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Two things really intrigue me about the sequel. Firstly I am curious to know the reason we lost the war. Was it because the commander sucked at base management or picking which abduction country to go to (trollollolloll). Or is it something along the lines of the Xcom killing the ethereal, then instead of the volunteer ending the invasion, they coopt it for themselves, and take over Earth with their knowledge of Xcom's capabilities.

The other thing, especially with people talking about wanting to play as the aliens. While you don't get to play as them this time, you do seem the be the attacker this time, albeit without a giant invasion and instead with an insurgency.

khorum

Murder Apologist
It said the governments surrendered so we could still have beaten the temple ship but Obama still sold us out to his cobra-alien overlords.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
While I somewhat agree with Gavin about the new Xcom being sorta a pale shadow of the original two, it says a lot about these type of games that it is still the best game to come out SINCE the originals.....

That being said; ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN! PEW PEW ALIEN SCUM!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is there a mod or option somewhere to speed up animations?

Shadowrun Dragonfall spoiled me with it's relatively fast turns.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Oh god I have the weirdest boner right now.

This may finally rip me out of the boredom that is my WoW routine nowadays. Plus maybe Elite Dangerous gets old by then.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is there a mod or option somewhere to speed up animations?

Shadowrun Dragonfall spoiled me with it's relatively fast turns.
Maybe in the .ini somewhere. You can turn off the third person and action cams in the options at least.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It said the governments surrendered so we could still have beaten the temple ship but Obama still sold us out to his cobra-alien overlords.
This is what I'm assuming. That or mind control. The ending of the previous game did a good job of leaving things vague enough that the aliens could definitely have won in many different ways. I never played Bureau, but I imagine that might explain some things too. I think the aliens sent a first wave in the 50s or 60s to infiltrate us?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is what I'm assuming. That or mind control. The ending of the previous game did a good job of leaving things vague enough that the aliens could definitely have won in many different ways. I never played Bureau, but I imagine that might explain some things too. I think the aliens sent a first wave in the 50s or 60s to infiltrate us?
Bureau is like an alternate version of earth or something, I don't think it's actually part of the XCom timeline.

*edit*

There are a couple easter eggs in EW that point at Bureau, but iirc there are too many contradictions for it to really be part of the same continuity.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's nothing particularly wrong with the story, it's just the gameplay that was mediocre and uninspiring.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Bureau is some decades earlier encounter that got covered up, isn't it?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Except there was some pretty damn widespread destruction that really couldn't have been covered up. I forget the details but there are also some other plot things that make it hard to believe it's part of the main XCom continuity.

Like William Carter (the main character) actually being possessed by an Ethereal for the whole game. Although maybe the Ethereals start busting that ability out after the Temple Ship gets destroyed and that's why we lose the war

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I loved the originals, even TftD, but I just couldn't get into the new X-com. The reason was the cosoley feel of the game with the shitty map controls and inventory/soldier displays. For me such a console feel in a game I play on the PC really rustles my jimmies.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Bureau is like an alternate version of earth or something, I don't think it's actually part of the XCom timeline.

*edit*

There are a couple easter eggs in EW that point at Bureau, but iirc there are too many contradictions for it to really be part of the same continuity.
Is Bureau worth playing? Thinking of picking it up during the Steam Summer Sale, but I've heard a lot of negative things about it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is Bureau worth playing? Thinking of picking it up during the Steam Summer Sale, but I've heard a lot of negative things about it.
I mean, it's entertaining if you're a big XCom fan, and you can probably get it for the equivalent of 2-3 bucks as part of a package deal, so at that price I'd say it's worth it.

Game would have been better as just a FPS set in background of the XCom invasion, sorta like Renegade in Command and Conquer.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Thing is, if you're a big xcom fan, you'll get more out of a new random ironman playthrough than sitting through bureau.

If you just wanna spend a couple bucks and you're nostalgic for old school xcom without the streamlining and abstraction of the firaxis versions you could try xenonauts and get more out of your money that way too.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This is a very long war. I'm not sure I knew what I was getting into here.