XCOM 2

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not staying up til 1am to play tonight but I'll probably be too excited to sleep well and be up early as hell.

DEATH TO RACE TRAITORS!!!

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Since the first region includes way more than just Australia and New Zealand, unlike the Fallout 4 launch, I'm logged in through VPNgate to a South Korean server. See if we can't get this unlocked here in an hour or so.

VPN Gate - Public Free VPN Cloud by Univ of Tsukuba, Japan

You need to download Softether VPN client + VPN gate client plug in, then you can just open the VPNgate program, click on VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Servers, and try servers in the first unlock region till you get into one. Make sure to log out of steam first, then once you're connected, start steam again and just let it chill and unlock the game here in a bit.

Apparently you don't need to change any account details in Steam like we thought was needed when we did this for Fallout 4.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Fair warning, there's a small (less than 300 mb) patch that is downloaded once the game unpacks.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Would this work with Russia if, hypothetically speaking, someone wanted to get the Russian price for something on steam?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Would this work with Russia if, hypothetically speaking, someone wanted to get the Russian price for something on steam?
It is worth noting that Valve doesn't seem to care if you log into a VPN to unlock a game you purchased within your appropriate region early. However, if you log into another region to purchase the game itself, I can guarantee you 100% your entire account will be banned and every game you bought with it.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
No. That is what will get your account banned.

Using VPN to unlock a game you've legally purchased at your local prices 11 hours early = No big deal
Using VPN to purchase games at cheaper costs, possibly circumventing taxation laws in your region = Do not do it if you want to keep your account active.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I know a guy who was going to hypothetically gift it to someone from a throwaway steam account. Will that still get someone banned?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I know a guy who was going to hypothetically gift it to someone from a throwaway steam account. Will that still get someone banned?
Yes. They did a big crackdown on that exact type of stuff, including making it hard if not impossible to gift across regions if I remember correctly.

Just say no.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
When I got home from work at 5pm looking forwards to playing it, I got a message saying something like "You're unable to change your billing country due to recently having purchased a game. You will be able to change regions on February 4th 7:41 pm". Apparently if you purchase a game, I think your account gets locked out of changing your billing country for 48?ish hours.

So note to anyone thinking about unlocking a game early in the future, you need to pre-order at least 48 hours before. If not you will be locked out of unlocking it early.

Unpacking it now though. So looking forwards to this. Clicked that cohh carnage stream linked here a few days back and tuned in right when he made a mistake that wiped his whole team. Dark Souls of tactical games, here we go!

EDIT: Well.... in a while. I need more SSD space.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Don't worry about changing billing country or download region. That is apparently unnecessary steps. That's what we did when Fallout 4 came out, but I unlocked this without changing anything in Steam. Just logged out of Steam, enabled VPN to S Korea, logged back into Steam, when 1:01 pm EST arrived it unpacked. I started the game, turned it off, put Steam in offline mode and turned off the VPN.

Playing now.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Don't worry about changing billing country or download region. That is apparently unnecessary steps. That's what we did when Fallout 4 came out, but I unlocked this without changing anything in Steam. Just logged out of Steam, enabled VPN to S Korea, logged back into Steam, when 1:01 pm EST arrived it unpacked. I started the game, turned it off, put Steam in offline mode and turned off the VPN.

Playing now.
I did the above without changing, and the update just blinked and didn't activate. Store page still listed my local time as the unlock time (even while active as a NZ VPN). However, when switching my billing as well, it started the unlock instantly.

Was the same with Fallout 4 for me.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I conveniently have off tomorrow and the weekend to myself.

I was wondering what was going to finally pull me out of Fallout 4 and it looks like that question is answered!

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I did the above without changing, and the update just blinked and didn't activate. Store page still listed my local time as the unlock time (even while active as a NZ VPN). However, when switching my billing as well, it started the unlock instantly.

Was the same with Fallout 4 for me.
Weird.

Sulrn

Deuces
Well, regardless, the Workshop is live and LWS mods are up as well.

Now the only question is whether the ECP is live or not.