XCOM 2

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
rrr_img_126237.jpg

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah it seems odd. In Xcom it felt like you had a chance to stabalize your troops if they fall in combat unless they get massively overkilled. Here it seems like they just die off.
There is an ability you can buy in the GTS that makes it way more likely for a soldier to bleed out than to die outright (stay with me, unlocks when you get someone to major); after I got it, I didn't have a single one die outright even if they got massively smashed. Though I got it very late and by then my soldiers were pretty stout at that point, so there may have been other factors at play there.

It is definitely something that should be available far earlier, I agree with that. I am sure there is a way to change that shit in the .ini too.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Are you intentionally "farming" shit on the Avenger Defense mission? Once I knew the location of the beacon. 3x Rocket Launchers just took it out and I left. Didn't even take 4 turns.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I farmed a bit only because it was easy XP. You could just set up and ambush the drop ships pretty easy. Then I got bored and just finished the mission.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've never farmed the avenger mission, just thought the pic was hilarious because of the 54 dead XCom soldiers.

Has anyone here ever actually had the defense facility built before the Avenger gets attacked?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I have, on Veteran. You get like 4 turrets set up on the edges of the ramp. Not really needed. On Commander I didn't have them, squadsight from a haywired mec, 2 sniper shots to take out the beacon.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah the turrets are kinda nice but not amazing and not necessary for that mission at all.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've never farmed the avenger mission, just thought the pic was hilarious because of the 54 dead XCom soldiers.

Has anyone here ever actually had the defense facility built before the Avenger gets attacked?
Does it only get attacked once?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Are storm guns even worth building? Why wouldn't I just want my rangers to use plasma rifles and swords, that way if they are close range they can just melee, and if they have to engage at range they can?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well it's only happened to me once in each campaign, but afaik it's just another dark event so in theory you could get attacked every month. Now that I think about it, in my second playthrough I actually avoided the first UFO sent after me then got caught by one on a different dark event later.

Are storm guns even worth building? Why wouldn't I just want my rangers to use plasma rifles and swords, that way if they are close range they can just melee, and if they have to engage at range they can?
Well there's a sizeable difference between doing 35-40 damage with a storm gun vs whatever you might do with a rifle.

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
This is exactly what I did. I figured they could actually do something if they were far away and just melee if they were close.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Storm guns do seem pretty OP when you mod them with the crit scope, but otherwise not sure they're worth the cost.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Storm guns are worth mid/late game. Early on, reg rifles are better (THAN SHOTGUNS), IMO. Your accuracy is just too low early game.

Edit: Enhanced for the reading impaired.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh. Well in that case I tentatively agree, since run & gun is pushed significantly farther down the ability tree in XCom 2. Much harder to get guaranteed shotgun kills early than it was in EU. Only problem is that weapon upgrades don't transfer over, so you're either stuck using an un-upgraded rifle or throwing the upgrades away when you switch back to the shotgun. I did sometimes use dedicated rifle assaults in EU, although that concept was replaced by the Infantry class in LW.

Although that does give me an alternate mod idea, make weapon upgrades apply to the sword instead of making blademaster scale with tech level. I imagine that wouldn't actually be too hard, mostly just copy whatever code the pistol has that makes it benefit from weapon upgrades. Can you imagine hair trigger on a sword though? If you yellow moved to slash someone, would it give you your entire turn back? Good god.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
One of the continent bonuses is the ability to re-use pcs and weapon mods. If you could just put that ability in the GTS or something...

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I saw the same suggestion for Armed to the Teeth, make it a mid to late game proving ground project and replace the continent bonus with something that fits in better. I mean in addition to being the most powerful bonus, it's also the only one that directly affects the tactical layer. Still another couple hours before the dev build finishes downloading, I should have just let it run overnight.