XCOM 2

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Chain posts ahoy!

Want to stress how much fun Grimy's loot mod is. Weapon upgrades become much rarer, and you instead get special lockboxes that you have to unlock in the lab that give you weapons with mods already installed. Mix of vanilla upgrades and upgrades unique to the mod. So far the sickest one is the high cycle chamber, which gives you -100% crit chance in exchange for +30% damage and +5% aim. Pretty amazing on a sniper since you're rolling with the squadsight crit penalty anyway. Rare weapons are generally no better or sometimes worse than a basic unmodified weapon, but epic and legendary weapons are nuts. I have a suit of legendary warden armor that gives an extra +3 hps, +1 armor, and +3 shields. Even more fun combined with the ranger rebalance class mod that makes swords actually competitive with shotguns. With a fully upgraded epic fusion blade, I got a 22 damage crit on a sword swing.

Of the stuff I tested on this playthrough, Shock Troopers seem pretty mediocre. Too much focus on getting in close, which means you can't use their abilities half the time. Infantry, on the other hand, are amazing. Maybe even a bit op, hard to tell. The two sides of the tree are split between a focus on overwatch and a focus on mobility/taking out flanked and exposed targets. With Infantry in the mix, I'd honestly consider never building a psi lab. As strong as psi-ops are, the only mission they truly shine on is the last mission since it's so long and they have unlimited uses on their powers. Leaving out the psi-op lets you take one of each class + infantry, and then double up on something.

Steam Workshop :: Grimy's Loot Mod

Steam Workshop :: Lucubrations Infantry Class

Also, the dude who created the Zoidberg voice pack seems to think his name is Zoiberg and hasn't responded to requests to fix the name, so you won't find it searching for Zoidberg.

Steam Workshop :: Zoiberg Voice Pack

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is that all you piddly little motherfuckers got?!?

rrr_img_131082.jpg

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Hmm, interesting HP mod. Not sure I like it more than the one that simply adds a number along with the individual bars per HP though. Those individual bars are just so XCOM.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
He reduces all melee damage by 5 before it even gets to armor, it's a combination of weapon upgrades from Grimy's Loot Mod (plus the ranger/sword rebalance mod). Advanced Parrying reduces all melee damage taken by 5, and Advanced Last Crusade (or something crusade) gives you 2 stacking armor each time you use slash for 4 turns, so you can sustain 6 armor if you use slash every turn. You aren't actually supposed to use Lock and Load with Grimy's loot mod, since it allows you to end up with some absolutely insane combos by moving upgrades around, but I'm also playing with iess+ so I had ~12 active chrysallids swarming towards him. Picking a couple off with overwatch, he bladestormed a couple, the rest either dodged or his bladestorm missed. I could have killed most of them with overwatch before they got to him but I was curious to see how he would handle an entire swarm.

The funny thing is that even with the rebalancing mod and broken upgrade combos, sword rangers still suck and I only ever take him to retaliation missions, or the mission where you recover the portal that's full of chrysallids. Otherwise I use a phantom ranger as a spotter who spends the entire mission in concealment unless I need him to obliterate someone with his 140% crit chance.

Sulrn

Deuces
Why would an alien force consisting of several slave races/experiments centralize all its primarchs on Earth?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've generally been under the impression that they aren't an empire, they're a single large group that moves from civilization to civilization trying to find the key to saving the ethereals. At least the new EW/EU continuity, obviously the aliens in the original and apocalypse were an empire.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Might be a spoiler but wtf, everyone's beat the game now right? The ethereals themselves suggest that their mission is to gather strength to resist something far worse that has been consuming civilizations.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Might be a spoiler but wtf, everyone's beat the game now right? The ethereals themselves suggest that their mission is to gather strength to resist something far worse that has been consuming civilizations.
Setup for XCOM3 where we invade the aliens worlds :p Fuck em.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The primary mission was definitely to save the ethereals. I mean yeah apparently there's something worse out there, but if the ethereals die it's game over no matter what.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Speaking of mods, I have an infantry irregular (lucubrations infantry mod) with over 100% crit chance on flanked targets. The irregular colonel perk is fire for effect, which is a 4 turn cooldown aoe rifle shot, about the size of a normal thrown grenade. The irregular major perk, escape and evade, is a single turn of stealth with a dramatically reduced detection range. I think the intent was for it to be an oh shit button if you flank too aggressively and trigger another pod, but if you're using a phantom ranger to scout for inactive pods, you can use escape and evade to get your irregular into fire for effect range without activating the pod and then one shot everything weaker than a heavy mech. Playing with iess+, better advent, and additional dark events, and I'm still pretty much on an unstoppable rampage. The one benefit to iess+ is that you level incredibly quick since you're killing so many enemies.

I think phantom rangers break the game way more than pre-nerf mimic beacons ever did.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah Phantom Rangers are... interesting. The entire stealth mechanic will be a nightmare to properly balance, I think.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Late game council mission, on legendary with iess+, better advent, and additional dark events, before breaking concealment and after. Really wish I could get screenshots with xcom to work instead of having to take the pictures with my phone.

rrr_img_131652.jpg
rrr_img_131653.jpg

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
heh. additional dark events is bugged to hell and gone atm. The permanent faceless infiltrator event works fine, but so far the permanent berserker pods and the one month of sectopod trios are failing to spawn properly. The berserker dark event, instead of spawning berserkers, is turning one alien pod into a double sized super-pod. Since pod size is 5 with iess+, that means super-pods are ten men strong. The sectopod dark event is apparently adding an extra two super-pods, so for the next month all my missions will have 3 super-pods, since the sectopod event isn't permanent. I just did a supply raid with 47 bad guys.

FWIW, I'm also playing with a lot of mods that increase player power, it's not like I'm managing all this with vanilla stuff. That being said, with such ridiculous enemy numbers, every mission requires some pretty careful setup on the initial engage. Really wouldn't be possible without liberal use of proximity mines on the initial engage either.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been watching Let's Plays of this pretty hardcore.
Thinking about taking the plunge and making a purchase.

On a side note. All the Stormtrooper mods surprise me. Seems like the ADVENT would be the storm troopers and XCOM would be the Rebels, yet there are no unit mods that utilize Empire-inspired baddies.

I have a feeling that after I buy it, the game will go on discount.