XCOM 2

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
So, either we lost the war in the first game and now we are in the resistance, or this is just set randomly in the future on another planet? Either way, apparently we now have fucking swords to slice aliens in half and shit, so thats cool and grenade launchers on the troops. Thing is, Long War is so damn good, I hope they adopt a lot of the things from that mod for this game.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
At the start it said "2035: 20 years after Unification" so yeah we lost that war and the aliens have unified humans with themselves it seems.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Don't give a flying fuck about the lore or storyline but XCOM gave one of the best outright games and one of the best platforms for modding in a very long time. Consider me on the hypetrain.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
You had to become a unified alien hybrid in order to win...so it's a safe bet that's in the sequel.

And seriously, who gives a fuck? The last game was one of the best strategy games in a decade.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I assumed it was going to be a mashup of the Terror from the Deep and Apocalypse plots. Something to the effect of we won the first invasion, but then people were like WE DONT NEED XCOM NO MORE and then a new invasion happens.

This seems pretty clearly set in the aftermath of XCom losing the first war, although I suppose it's possible we 'won' the first war but it was either part of their master plan (and that boss ethereal on the temple ship was just a nutjob) or a couple ethereals + cohorts survived and were able to infiltrate the governments of earth after all. Still, I'm all about this shit, I was really worried they weren't going to keep making XCom games after the Bureau tanked, even if that was a different studio.

Wonder why they switched from Jon Bailey to Peter Cullen for the voice of council briefing guy. I mean it's funny having Optimus Prime helping you fight off the alien invasion, but Jon Bailey absolutely nailed that voice so I don't get why they would get someone else.

Don't give a flying fuck about the lore or storyline but XCOM gave one of the best outright games and one of the best platforms for modding in a very long time. Consider me on the hypetrain.
XCom is a terrible platform for modding. If XCom actually had good modding tools, the Long War devs could probably have gotten the project done in 1/4th the time.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I actually just watched the trailer.

Pretty clear the Aliens fully invaded as they intended. They're turning our world into the same as the previous races the Ethereals visited, genetically modifying us into a part of their army. They claimed in 1 that Humans were the answer to whatever is "out there". I was really hoping for Terror from the Deep, but this looks very much like apocalypse without the terrain/building destruction and stock market.

No matter what, I have a boner.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah this studio would have to fall pretty far to fuck this one up.

I'm excited.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well there's my pre-order boner ready to fly. That snake bitch was awesome looking.

The only thing that would make this better would be if you could play as the XCOM soldiers or the aliens in two different campaigns.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Are people forgetting that XCom was actually kind of mediocre or what? It was buggy, full of easily exploitable AI, and had very shallow and relatively linear base building and research, as well as a linear campaign. The remake is a pale shadow of the depth and scope of the originals, as old and janky as they look now. It was the Long War modders that turned XCom into an epic that surpassed the originals. If Firaxis hasn't offered some kind of employment opportunity to Johnnylump and Amineri I would be shocked.

I mean don't get me wrong, this may end up being the first game I've ever pre-ordered, I love everything XCom. But if they haven't absorbed at least some of the stuff Long War added to the original, this game will be mediocre too.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Even the base game was fun as fuck. I don't know if you're a salty gamer or what but the game was great.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe I idealized the originals too much. I mean either way I've still got 340 hours in XCom on steam, and while most of those hours are from Long War, I know I've completed enemy unknown twice, enemy within once, and at least a couple incomplete I/I campaigns.

I still love the game even if I think it's kind of mediocre.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I certainly hope they improve the depth of the first one, but for all the praise Long War gets, most players don't enjoy being actively punished by a game and watching themselves lose slowly. If they somehow keep those things in, while not being fatal to your campaign, count me in.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
I've been playing the shit out of Long War lately.
I welcome our new alien overlords.
rrr_img_98869.jpg

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Even the base game was fun as fuck. I don't know if you're a salty gamer or what but the game was great.
I agree with gavin overall, though maybe not for the finer details. The mechanic for revealing alien positions was often too dangerous, thus resulting in an injured veteran team member. So now you either play the next mission with a handicap(rookie) or you save scum to prevent your experienced member from getting shot.

Kinda silly to reward the player for completing a mission by making them less powerful for the next one. You can have backups(which still requires playing at least some missions at a handicap), but fuck their tedious UI for switching loadouts every mission.

Of course, the third option is to turtle up and hope the aliens meander into your overwatch crossfire, but that's more boring than save scumming.