XCOM 2

Drew

Molten Core Raider
Why mod the game before even playing the base game?
They are Firaxis approved.

One makes a new class - Leader.

Another makes one of the aliens have leader like abilities.

The last one adds SMGs which go with the scout path of the Ranger class who really had no specialized weapon without the mod.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
They are Firaxis approved.

One makes a new class - Leader.

Another makes one of the aliens have leader like abilities.

The last one adds SMGs which go with the scout path of the Ranger class who really had no specialized weapon without the mod.
Yeah, looking at who made them and what they do, they are more like DLC than "mods". For those concerned, Fireaxis confirmed in the comments there that adding those mods will not change your ability to earn achievements either. See no reason not to add them, and I already have.

On mission 4 now, and so far <3

As for settings, I put everything on maximum, then changed shadows to medium and turned AA off. Watched the TB WTF video, and he said that the AA slider is where the performance hit comes from. With settings mentioned, it runs perfectly smooth on my laptop. No lag either in cut scenes or in game.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
rofl

so that bit where he was talking about simulations running in your head along with the EU/EW footage, was that a funny way of explaining away successful playthroughs? lol

totally forgot about the LWS mods, so I'm probably gonna have to start over. Only a couple missions in anyway.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well if you're a pussy you might not want to play with the Muton Centurion turned on. Turning on the mods immediately gave my existing campaign access to the SMG, so I guess I'll keep going until I get guerilla tactics built and see if the leader class is in there.

*edit*

my tactical UI now has a 'toggle command range' button, so I'm assuming all the LWS mods work just fine if you turn them on mid-campaign.

Sulrn

Deuces
My understanding from the PAX conference was that the centurion wouldn't show up until after a certain point in the story? Is that not the case? SMG's should be in immediately but tied to the tier unlocks like the rest, and the leader was also immediate.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well you have to build the facility that lets you train leaders, you don't start with it built, and yeah the description for the centurion said he shows up around the midpoint of the campaign.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Since the first region includes way more than just Australia and New Zealand, unlike the Fallout 4 launch, I'm logged in through VPNgate to a South Korean server. See if we can't get this unlocked here in an hour or so.

VPN Gate - Public Free VPN Cloud by Univ of Tsukuba, Japan

You need to download Softether VPN client + VPN gate client plug in, then you can just open the VPNgate program, click on VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Servers, and try servers in the first unlock region till you get into one. Make sure to log out of steam first, then once you're connected, start steam again and just let it chill and unlock the game here in a bit.

Apparently you don't need to change any account details in Steam like we thought was needed when we did this for Fallout 4.
Thanks! Unpacking.

WhatsAmmataU_sl

shitlord
Got my ass handed to me so bad in commander difficulty that I dropped down to Veteran and now it feels like I'm playing with power overwhelming. X-Com problems.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I like to play games on the highest difficulty, but I typically avoid ball busting difficulty settings when they feel arbitrary (+50% damage taken, -50% damage done, 200% enemy hp increase, that kind of thing) or unfair ("RNG" heavily skewed to fuck you). I totally dig challenging and understand some missions will fail, but the overall experience should be enjoyable. How are you guys finding the difficulty settings here?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Got my ass handed to me so bad in commander difficulty that I dropped down to Veteran and now it feels like I'm playing with power overwhelming. X-Com problems.
It gets harder. The first like 3-4 missions in veteran the enemies didn't even get a shot at me. I started thinking the game was bugged, and had to test it out by risking getting people shot to see if the aliens would react.

After the first month shit went not unmanagable yet, but definitely the difficulty spiked some.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lotta new mechanics to get used too also, concealment is a bit complicated.

*edit*

and this is why I rushed the warfare center, even though it's likely going to delay my proving ground by close to 2 months

rrr_img_125290.png

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
lol, nice.

I really dig the new complexity of the choose one or the other for dark event counters. I just had one where I really would have rather had an engineer instead of a cpl sharpshooter, but I decided I'd rather deal with a shortened retaliation cycle instead of an entire month of doubled intel cost. Beats the hell out of 'always choose engineer for the first two months then just manage panic'.

Crazily

N00b
To lazy to do the VPN thing so...patiently waiting. I have tomorrow off and nothing to do for the next 3 days except for superbowl and x-com 2.....

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I did the VPN thing and its unpacked but when i go to launch it says unable to launch the app, ensure that steam is running and you are logged in (which I am). Reason: Steamworks is not initalzed....only 1.5 hours to go but fuck me I want it NOW! Any ideas?

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Derpa disregard; i was still on my Thailand VPN which was not allowing it to actually launch!