XCOM 2

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anyone else think this game possibly has an anti save-scumming code built in? I'm a filthy casual and just playing on the normal default difficulty and I was in the middle of a mission and attempting to take control of a robot, I had a 50% chance to succeed but failing would basically get one of my guys killed, so I saved before attempting it. Failed, reloaded, failed, reloaded, etc.

I failed 17 times in a row before just giving up. If the odds are calculated correctly, getting the same result on what is basically a coin flip, 17 times in a row, is ASTRONOMICAL odds.
If you do the same actions in the same order after loading a save, you will get the same results.

You can blow that 'low roll' on some nonconsequential action then try.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't think you even need to blow a low roll, just doing anything differently, such as moving one tile further instead of where you were can change the outcome. At least I know thats how it worked with chance to hit in the last one, and I believe hacking works the same way because I want to say I did just that and got different results.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Unless they patched it, you just have astronomically bad luck. I had a similar situation in my first run. Took 11 reloads at 65% for it to work. Fuck you Xcom RNG. The reload that actually worked was me saying fuck it and doing exactly same sequence of events as the original failure. Fails 4-10 were me playing around to see if changing order changed the results.

[Edit] Anecdotally refuting Mist.
Your anecdote is you misremembering, then, as it's pretty established that it works the way Mist described (did in XCOM 1 as well I believe). But yea, changing amount of distance moved, altering what order you do things in, even reloading then firing, all have their own different possible results.

Sulrn

Deuces
Your saying two different things if I read that clearly; shes saying same order same results - my anecdote isn't misremembered and says otherwise - you're saying reloading or any variation changes results.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
No, you're misremembering. He's saying reload as in if you missed and you reload your save if you insteadreloadyour weapon and then fire, it may have a different result. Doing the same exact thing every time will have the exact same result.

Sulrn

Deuces
No, you're misremembering. He's saying reload as in if you missed and you reload your save if you insteadreloadyour weapon and then fire, it may have a different result. Doing the same exact thing every time will have the exact same result.
I'm going to have to double down here and say we were playing different games then because that doesn't describe my experience at all. I reloaded at several points in the game doing the exact same thing and getting different rolls on several points. The hack stands out specifically because of how frustrating it was, but there were multiple instances where I would take first move shoot with a sniper and reload if it didn't hit/hit hard enough.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Doubling down doesn't make you less wrong :p It's well known. There was a specific mod for XCOM 1 to change it, and I believe there's a mod on the way for XCOM 2 to do the same (if it's not out already). But remember, ANY deviation from the exact sequence can have different results.

Edit: Easiest way to test it yourself is to save with say, a 50% chance to hit an enemy from your exact spot. Save, fire, reload game, fire, reload game, fire, etc. and you will ALWAYS have the same result. If it was rolling each time it would vary within at most 3-4 reloads.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah you can see that in AI turns too. You'll get a promotion/achievement almost minutes before the action finally happens in some cases. It's a tad annoying honestly, they could at least have the decency to delay the result messages until the action actually happens.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Ran into a strange bug tonight.

Recovered the Stasis Suit, and afterwards nothing would update. Building Radio Relay hit -4 days, while the excavation I had undergone reached -234 hours. Legit copy of the game. Will do some google fu tomorrow before I just reload a save from the previous mission.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ran into a strange bug tonight.

Recovered the Stasis Suit, and afterwards nothing would update. Building Radio Relay hit -4 days, while the excavation I had undergone reached -234 hours. Legit copy of the game. Will do some google fu tomorrow before I just reload a save from the previous mission.
Got a Stasis Suit - Time Froze - seems legit.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm wondering if my Shadow Chamber is bugged.

I first built it and there were 2 things to research. Both were available, I could have chosen either item, the green button was available on both. I researched 1 and now when I go back to my Shadow Chamber the other item is greyed out and it says "cannot research until all other Shadow Chamber research is completed"...but there isn't any other research. There's just this one item there and nothing new has appeared in over a month+ of in-game time.

Anyone seen anything like that?

I've even tried manually cancelling any other research being done in my science lab, and that doesn't change anything either.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, it does that joeboo, just keep trucking along and you should have another objective to complete first, then you'll get a new research option, research that, and then you'll be able to research the first thing.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The only thing that requires the other shadow projects to be completed first is the avatar autopsy, and it doesn't sound at all like that's what your issue is. It sounds like you hit a campaign-ending bug.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hmm...I didn't read that last line about you not having anything to do. I know that was the case in my playthrough, had 2 research options, researched one and then the other said "cannot research....", but I still had some other objective to complete though I don't remember what it was, that then gave me a new research option and after researching that I could then do the avatar autopsy.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Blacksite Vial - Stasis Suit

Codex Brain - Decrypt Data - Psionic Gate

Upgrade Shadow Chamber (this might be before researching the Psionic Gate actually)

Avatar Autopsy (Only one that requires other shadow projects to be finished first)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
????)?? ???

rrr_img_127772.jpg

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I've never even seen the one on the right. What in the world does it do? It's a tad obtuse.