Xenoblade Chronicles 2

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Welp...

Half hung over at Target with my wife I ended up spending some gift cards from last year. The only game I would ever actually buy a switch for is this one, and after seeing the gameplay mechanics and streams, I sucked myself in as a huge XC1 fan (hated XCX) and from all over people were saying it was an XC1 sequel I jumped the shark. With that said I’m guessing I will be selling this for cheap once I am done with the game.

I am about four hours in and am quitting to head to a wild game and dinner after, but if not for that, I would be playing this non stop.

The game is epic. The music, the story so far, character depth with Pyra, Rex, and Gramps, and even though some of the other voice acting is god awful, I can’t help but even love some of those characters too.

With that said, the game is VERY complex. And without tutorial reference material, I figured this would be a good place to ask a lot of questions to keep us all up to date on combat mechanics, blades, other game mechanics, and anything else we will forget how to do.

If you loved XC1 as much as I did, run to the store and get this game because it’s fucking fantastic. The opening sequence alone while salvaging a ship after some basic intros, was one of the coolest things I have seen in a video game. It was paced perfectly.

• 2Picard
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I guess it's a good thing I hated XC1 and loved XCX otherwise I'd probably be doing the same as you. I'll get a Switch eventually for SMT5 and whatever else Atlus does, but I'd really like to wait for the first hardware refresh and/or price drop.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I hear ya.

With that said is there a way to upgrade Pyra’s secondary abilities or is it automatic? Because I want her to have focus 2 because I came across a chest I couldn’t open and it’s bugging me. When I popped over to that part of the menu they seemed to fill in the first ring by themselves and I have no idea how to level them. Same for dromarch. I also can’t seem to navigate to the blade menu itself. I can upgrade the arts, but I thought the tutorial said there is another secondary upgrade path for the blade and I do not see how to get there, unless it’s read only.

• 1Smuggly

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I think if you move the cursor over her affinity tree abilities it says how to unlock each one. Yeah there are a few chests I came across that I can't open, I assume I need another blade to go back and open it.

Finished Chapter 2 and yet another pretty cool cutscene. Game definitely animates them very well.

I will say that some of the UI quirks that were mentioned(Shitty map, lack of journal/tutorial page) are a little annoying. I use the fast travel map to get a better idea of where I am at, the large area map is mostly useless.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
wait does that mean you also bought a switch ut

i bought the SE of XC2, don't plan on playing it anytime soon (never played any of them) wondering if its worth keeping or not, seems available everywhere

• 1Like

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Welp...

Half hung over at Target with my wife I ended up spending some gift cards from last year. The only game I would ever actually buy a switch for is this one, and after seeing the gameplay mechanics and streams, I sucked myself in as a huge XC1 fan (hated XCX) and from all over people were saying it was an XC1 sequel I jumped the shark. With that said I’m guessing I will be selling this for cheap once I am done with the game.

I am about four hours in and am quitting to head to a wild game and dinner after, but if not for that, I would be playing this non stop.

The game is epic. The music, the story so far, character depth with Pyra, Rex, and Gramps, and even though some of the other voice acting is god awful, I can’t help but even love some of those characters too.

With that said, the game is VERY complex. And without tutorial reference material, I figured this would be a good place to ask a lot of questions to keep us all up to date on combat mechanics, blades, other game mechanics, and anything else we will forget how to do.

If you loved XC1 as much as I did, run to the store and get this game because it’s fucking fantastic. The opening sequence alone while salvaging a ship after some basic intros, was one of the coolest things I have seen in a video game. It was paced perfectly.
so is the combat floaty like horizon:ZD?

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
wait does that mean you also bought a switch ut

i bought the SE of XC2, don't plan on playing it anytime soon (never played any of them) wondering if its worth keeping or not, seems available everywhere

Yeah. After I am done with this game I am going to bring the switch, this pro controller, and the game (I probably will also buy Mario but not play it) and run it over to the U of M Amplatz (Masonic) children’s hospital and give it to a kid over there.

I’m sure kids would love this thing to play this n bed while stuck there. But good god that console is a piece of shit. The portable mode sucks because it’s to hard to control anything if you have big hands, and the plastic dock is cheap as shit. Checked out the Eshop and saw more hot garbage there then anything I have ever seen in my life. But hey, I’ll finish this game because it is good, then I’m sure it will get a lot of use over there.

• 1Like
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I think if you move the cursor over her affinity tree abilities it says how to unlock each one. Yeah there are a few chests I came across that I can't open, I assume I need another blade to go back and open it.

Finished Chapter 2 and yet another pretty cool cutscene. Game definitely animates them very well.

I will say that some of the UI quirks that were mentioned(Shitty map, lack of journal/tutorial page) are a little annoying. I use the fast travel map to get a better idea of where I am at, the large area map is mostly useless.

Awesome thanks for that. It’s hard to understand. Awesome music, great game, I like the combat system, and story and characters are fantastic. This game should be cross platform. It deserves a large install base. Across multiple platforms. This thing will probably only sell a million units and that right there is a damn shame.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I watched some streams of the game this week and it might have been something I was interested playing but Nintendo hasn't gotten money from me in a very long time and they still ain't getting it now. If it comes out on PC in a year no one will care, so it's doomed to be second rate entirely because of the system.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I watched some streams of the game this week and it might have been something I was interested playing but Nintendo hasn't gotten money from me in a very long time and they still ain't getting it now. If it comes out on PC in a year no one will care, so it's doomed to be second rate entirely because of the system.

I don't get why people get so personally upset at certain companies like Nintendo. I get it when it's something like EA who constantly release subpar games with nickel and dime strategies, but Nintendo for the most part just release games. Not everyone is going to enjoy those games sure, but to be that personally invested in hating them for releasing games you don't like seems a bit silly to me.

But then again people love being tribal so I guess it does make sense.

• 1Barf

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Bestbuy screwed the pooch on my release day delivery of this. Kind of salty as the kids had basketball tryouts and a damn recital today which required about 5 hours of me sitting around before the events I have to pay attention to start. That whole time wishing the damn game had shown up. Plus side Golf Story ended up being way more fun than I ever thought it could be and managed to get the Christmas light/tree stuff done in the morning and started work on putting together a board game table which would of never happened if it had been delivered.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
Im in chapter 3 right now. Ive still got 1 set of "???" on the main menu between "blades" and "items". Is there a chain-attack type feature that gets unlocked with max party tension (3 bars). It looks like its the "+" button on the controller according to the combat controls guide but i havent gotten it yet

I had forgotten to upgrade weapon chips for a while today, that made a huge difference

I had 2 rare crystals, 1 of them I used some boosters on to try shit out and didnt get a unique blade, on the one that i didnt use any boosters on I did get a unique blade. Not sure if it was coincidence or not.

Liking the game so far alot, combat is complex but not too bad if you played XC1 or XCX. The noppon's combat sounds are the worst part so far. I really like pyra's voice, maybe its cause of the huge boobs, but it seems to really fit the character.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah Pyra is very well acted. My favorite along with gramps.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Seems stacking Luck before you use a core crystal ups the chance of getting a rare blade.

• 1Like

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
yeah, I will look into trying Luck stacking

are you guys finding the aux crystals worth messing with at an earlier level? In preivous Xeno games I never did the augmenting till I got the good stuff and just hoarded materials till then.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So this tutorial isn’t even correct. I just got to the part where it told me how to equip aux cores. Main menu, character, blade set up. Uh, no. Because that entire blade setup menu is in main menu, blades, manage blades. That takes us to blade setup. I was wondering why the hell I couldn’t figure it out and the entire menu option itself wasn’t even unlocked in the main menu and the tutorial lied.