Yellowstone

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
So I'm going to spend this summer in Salmon, ID which I believe is about 4 hours from Jellystone and plan to spend my off days hiking there whenever possible. I have spent a day or two in Yellowstone before and hit the big tourist attractions like Old Faithful and Mammoth Hot Springs. I'm more interested in off-the-beaten-path stuff as well as big hikes with elevation. Also I'll be spending a few days there with my girlfriend the second week in May which is kinda early and cold, and would like advice on a good spot to set up a tent that early.

Thanks!

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Few things to keep in mind. In May I believe only the North entrance is open and I'm pretty sure many of the roads will be closed. I *think* they keep the main loop open but I'm not sure the Washburn pass will be open. Anything high elevation will be completely covered in snow and ice.

That being said here are some options:

If you are outside the part, I believe you said you were in ID, I didn't look up the town but you'll probably be closest to West Yellowstone. There should be places to camp there.
If you are northish you'll want to go to Gardner, MT. There are plenty of campground/hotels there too.

If you want to be IN the park, there are only a few officially registered campgrounds. Just check the national park website for which ones are open during May. I did a quick check here are your options(Campgrounds - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service))
-Mammoth(this is by the hotsprings)
-Madison(by West Yellowstone entrance. Not much "elevation" hiking here, pretty spot though. Dense woods)
-Fishing Bridge(the biggest campground, right on yellowstone lake. Nice central point honestly and a badass diner right there!)
-Norris(decent location, lots of geyser basins, not the best for elevation hiking but not a bad hopping off point)
-Looks like the rest don't open until after you will be gone

Personally, from that pick list I'd recommend FishingBridge, Mammoth Hot springs is worthwhile to see, it's amazing to see nature like that. But it's easily the most tourist spot in Yellowstone. Fishing Bridge is larger, more "modernized" and not very "naturey" but it has a great location for getting to many spots in the park, plus you can stop at all the main attractions on the way there, knocking out the tourist crap in one quick day.

As far as hiking elevation, again keep in mind anything up high will be buried in snow and ice. I havn't kept track of the snow fall this year but 2m+ is not at all uncommon in this area. I'm not here to lecture you so let's just say you know what you are doing and are prepared. As you probably know with Yellowstone being a national park they prefer everyone camp at designated backcountry sites. If you've been out at all you know this and at what level they "enforce" it
wink.png

Here are some decent elevation hikes:
-Touristy but the main mountain is Washburn, if you just want a quick little hike that can offer a good vista(center of the park kinda) it's a neat one.
-Bliss Pass Trail is nice, plus it's a got a beautiful approach and termination hike through some nice valley's. This is in the NE of the park
-Specimen Ridge Trail, basically you ridge walk for about 14 miles. It's beautiful and if you are lucky and it's nice out you can see some amazing things. Also in the NE but south of Lamar Valley, which has tons of wolf/bear activity. The very east end of this trail where I camped out south in the valley of the lamar valley is the only time in my life I encountered a grizzly in the pure wild(not the yellowstone style where they are alone the road and everyone stops to take pictures)
-In the Nw of the park look into Sportsman Lake Trail. The trail itself doesn't climb mountains but you hike into this cool valley and there are all sorts of side hike opportunities that go up into awesome elevated lakes. Fawn Pass Trail and BigHorn Trail run parallel to it and I'm sure they rock too, just never done those ones.

Anyway that's my personal "elevation" experience in yellowstone. Honestly though, I don't hike in yellowstone to conquer mountains, I do it for the wildlife and crazy diverse eco-system. I've been on 7+ day hikes there that started in deserts, went through valleys, into woods, over a pass and then stopped at yellowstone lake. It's just amazing how it changes there due to the geothermal stuff.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Sweet, thanks! Those all sound great.

Ya after doing a little more research most of my Yellowstone adventures are going to have to wait until later in the summer, but will probably still spend a couple days in the park while I have my lady friend with me in early May, but nothing too hardcore.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea, I was shocked when I went for the first time, also in May. I had a 12 day hike planned which had all sorts of ridge passes and crap. I knew it would be cold as fuck, a bit snowy, a bit icy etc but didn't know exactly how bad. My goal on the trip wasn't to scale mountains either. I was basically hiking from one side of the park to the other to just explore and hike, which I love to do. Anyway I carried some basic snow gear which added 7-8kg to my pack so the first few days in the "black canyon" of Yellowstone I was bitching at myself. Well, once I hit the mountains man was I glad I brought that crap. Seriously snow for what looks like miles above my head, it was pretty intense for end of May/early June.

I've now learned it's got a lot to do with what's called the Yellowstone eco-system. So much geothermal, volcanic, and seismic activity there that it just creates it's own weather and moisture! It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been in my life. I go back almost annually now for a few days.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yellowstone is amazing. Everyone should visit. Dont bother with old faithful though, its a shitty tourist trap.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I want to say we went in early-mid June back in like 2007, and it snowed on us. I think you probably just have July and August as non-cold weather months, and even that's probably hit and miss.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Last week two women from out of state drove around a road closed barrier and went up on the Beartooth highway and got stuck in a snow drift and had to be rescued. They said that they went around the barrier because they couldn't think of any reason why the pass would be closed. I guess they can think of one now.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yellowstone is amazing. Everyone should visit. Dont bother with old faithful though, its a shitty tourist trap.
Actually, you should visit old faithful just to see the lodge! And my other favorite part about that place.....the outdoor bar overlooking old faithful. After my hike many a drink were consumed there!

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I did the Old Faithful thing when I drove through it briefly a couple summers ago. I drove the Beartooth last August and there were still some massive snowdrifts off the road when you got close to the pass and it was very chilly even on a bright on a sunshiney day, that's some serious asshattery.