Yellowstone

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
How you can leave Beth out of your liked characters I'll never know. She fucking tears shit down.
I don't know I find her a little over the top and annoying. The interactions of her ripping Jaime are funny as fuck but that's about it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah Beth is too over the top for me and that's in an over the top show. I just don't find her believable.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The story line with Beth and Jamie kinda ruined some of the show for me. Its so over the top and would never happen in America. Rip is definitely the best character on the show. You root for him a lot in season 3.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
That's a fair criticism. I find her a welcome relief from the drama elements. I know most of her stuff is drama, but having it be over the top makes it fun. Although is it really all over the top given what her brother did to her? Also, her relationship with Rip is good romance.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ya but she was a white girl and the daughter of a powerful figure in the community. It was just really unbelieveable and that her brother was that big of a piece of shit.

I still like the show and will watch season 4. Some of it just needs to be toned down. Like the dumb ass branding.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Is there a way to stream previous seasons? Looking for something new to watch, can only re-watch Rome and The Wire so many times

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Some of it just needs to be toned down.

Yeah, it's pretty melodramatic throughout. As a rancher and a Montana resident the ranching stuff is completely ridiculous. I think I finally know what it feels like to be a doctor watching medical shows, but I decided to ignore that and just watch for the characters and drama but they're about as silly as the ranching. Probably still going to watch S4 though.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, it's pretty melodramatic throughout. As a rancher and a Montana resident the ranching stuff is completely ridiculous. I think I finally know what it feels like to be a doctor watching medical shows, but I decided to ignore that and just watch for the characters and drama but they're about as silly as the ranching. Probably still going to watch S4 though.
What are some of the things they get right? I'm really curious because I hate how hollywood changes things up.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
What are some of the things they get right? I'm really curious because I hate how hollywood changes things up.

I haven't really watched recently enough to be able to come up with a lot of examples. Part of it is just the amount of money they seem to have. Unless there's some oil wells on that place, cattle don't pay for mansions and helicopters and fleets of Dodge pickups with custom paint jobs on them. There may be one or two ranches in Montana that have a helicopter so maybe that's not so far fetched, but Costner is always bitching about money so it's sort of incongruent.

Also the amount of drama is just over the top. Ranchers aren't getting in gun fights every couple of weeks. It's TV though so that's to be expected.

The two biggest WTF moments for me were

1) In season 1 Costner and another guy are driving by and see a cow calving a quarter mile away and instantly say "She's in trouble!" and grab a calf puller and go sprinting across the pasture to her. The calf puller is a real tool and they are using it correctly, but you can't tell at a glance from that distance that a cow is in need of help calving. You would have to be able to at least get a close look and if the calf is oriented correctly you would probably wait an hour or two and see that she's not making progress on her own before you decided to intervene. When they get to her they say "He's breech" and immediately start pulling the calf. If the calf was breech, then pulling it would be the right thing to do, but it would be pretty unusual to be able to just sit on her head and pull the calf. I would take her to a head catch but at the very least you would have to snub her to a tree or something unless she was practically dead already. Then they proceed to pull the calf which comes out head first (aka not breech) and (the most hilarious part) it sprints away the second it hits the ground. Even the most vigorous calf will usually take 10 or 15 minutes to get on its feet and then it will be staggering around knock-kneed trying to find its mother's teat to suck. A calf that has had a difficult birth and especially one that's been pulled might take several hours to even get on its feet. It would take several days before it could run like the calf did on the show. On top of that, the calf they used is huge, probably 200+ lbs so it's probably a good 2-3 months old.

2) The part where the bad guys drop clover out of a plane and kill all the Dutton's steers. Cattle can eat clover and alfalfa obviously, but if they aren't accustomed to it and get out into a field of really green alfalfa, especially when it's wet, and they eat a lot of it, some of them might bloat up and some of the ones that bloat could wind up dying. That doesn't mean that dropping 100 lbs of clover out of an airplane on a herd of 300 steers will result in them all immediately dropping dead. It would have no effect whatsoever.

You can tell that they get some nuggets of information from someone who knows about ranching, but then they run with it and it becomes painfully obvious the writers have no idea WTF they're talking about.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I haven't really watched recently enough to be able to come up with a lot of examples. Part of it is just the amount of money they seem to have. Unless there's some oil wells on that place, cattle don't pay for mansions and helicopters and fleets of Dodge pickups with custom paint jobs on them. There may be one or two ranches in Montana that have a helicopter so maybe that's not so far fetched, but Costner is always bitching about money so it's sort of incongruent.

Also the amount of drama is just over the top. Ranchers aren't getting in gun fights every couple of weeks. It's TV though so that's to be expected.

1) In season 1 Costner and another guy are driving by and see a cow calving a quarter mile away and instantly say "She's in trouble!" and grab a calf puller and go sprinting across the pasture to her. The calf puller is a real tool and they are using it correctly, but you can't tell at a glance from that distance that a cow is in need of help calving. You would have to be able to at least get a close look and if the calf is oriented correctly you would probably wait an hour or two and see that she's not making progress on her own before you decided to intervene. When they get to her they say "He's breech" and immediately start pulling the calf. If the calf was breech, then pulling it would be the right thing to do, but it would be pretty unusual to be able to just sit on her head and pull the calf. I would take her to a head catch but at the very least you would have to snub her to a tree or something unless she was practically dead already. Then they proceed to pull the calf which comes out head first (aka not breech) and (the most hilarious part) it sprints away the second it hits the ground. Even the most vigorous calf will usually take 10 or 15 minutes to get on its feet and then it will be staggering around knock-kneed trying to find its mother's teat to suck. A calf that has had a difficult birth and especially one that's been pulled might take several hours to even get on its feet. It would take several days before it could run like the calf did on the show. On top of that, the calf they used is huge, probably 200+ lbs so it's probably a good 2-3 months old.

2) The part where the bad guys drop clover out of a plane and kill all the Dutton's steers. Cattle can eat clover and alfalfa obviously, but if they aren't accustomed to it and get out into a field of really green alfalfa, especially when it's wet, and they eat a lot of it, some of them might bloat up and some of the ones that bloat could wind up dying. That doesn't mean that dropping 100 lbs of clover out of an airplane on a herd of 300 steers will result in them all immediately dropping dead. It would have no effect whatsoever.

You can tell that they get some nuggets of information from someone who knows about ranching, but then they run with it and it becomes painfully obvious the writers have no idea WTF they're talking about.
Yeah, my wife grew up on a dairy farm. The first few times I went there I had to pull calves. To be fair there isn't any good way to depict it but having the newborn hop off is laughable. We forgive that stuff just like we forgive upside down xrays in medical shows or intubations that look nothing like the real thing.

The clover thing I had no idea about. My only experience with that was spreading 5 lbs of the stuff on a teachers lawn. I still feel bad about that.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
How you can leave Beth out of your liked characters I'll never know. She fucking tears shit down.

Dude, the scene when shes getting beaten and raped was crazy. Her acting was fantastic, and the character was great. Guys beating the fuck out of her. Then Rip came and destroyed them.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>

Cool, thanks for replying with that. I'm always curious WTF these show are exaggerating.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Cool, thanks for replying with that. I'm always curious WTF these show are exaggerating.
You can usually assume they are exaggerating everything. What they aren’t exaggerating they are fabricating or wrong (Usually see this with anything with guns in it) Real life is much more boring than shows.

• 1Like

elidib

Vyemm Raider
The calf thing was retarded, but i guess logistically, it's probably hard to time the filming exactly when they have one giving birth.

The helicopter thing made sense to me - you have to remember, in the show, the dutton ranch is the largest ranch in america. it's kinda loosely based on the IX ranch (which is the second largest ranch in america):

2. IX Ranch (Chouteau County, Montana)

One of the leading examples of a legacy ranch on the world map, owned by only two owners in the past 128 years, this ranch occupies 126,000 acreages of land. It runs a small horse-breeding program, 4,000 cattle feeder operation, and also usually hosts recreational activities. It is located in the foothills of Bear Paw Mountains and adjacent to the lands of Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument. Currently owned by the fourth generation of Roth’s, it has many hunting opportunities for elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, antelope, mountain lion and five species of upland birds.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Rip is definitely the best character on the show. You root for him a lot in season 3.
I need to watch S3 but from what I remember, one of the most memorable characters for me in TV history, all over the line, still pulling for him in the end. This show had ratcheted the tension up to 11 the last time I watched it, IIRC it was almost unbearable how thick the plotting was, like the end of a season of the Sopranos all season long it seemed. I loved the show but who the fuck wanted to be tortured for entertainment?