Yesterday (2019)

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I watched this movie twice this week and loved it both times. My wife who somehow doesn’t really know much at all about Beatles music enjoyed it too. She felt the same way pharmakos did at the end of the movie, disappointed there was no explanation to it all. I don’t really care. I thought it was funny all of the other things that didn’t exist anymore (coke, Oasis, Harry Potter, etc.)

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Seen a bunch of movies about the Beatles. They're all kinda boring. Oddly this isn't even directly about them.

This guy said it right.
What a great, fun, happy movie.

This is the first good Beatles movie.

Don't like ghostbusters snl chick though.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I keep seeing this available on the plane. It's always been on my maybe list but I never get around to it. I was worried that my total ambivalence towards the beatles would make it suck (kinf of like the rocket man). Sounds like that's not necessarily the case. So let me get this straight, once he realizes no one remembers the beatles, he just starts releasing their songs and becomes a big hit? Then apparently later we find out that a few other people also remember them?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I keep seeing this available on the plane. It's always been on my maybe list but I never get around to it. I was worried that my total ambivalence towards the beatles would make it suck (kinf of like the rocket man). Sounds like that's not necessarily the case. So let me get this straight, once he realizes no one remembers the beatles, he just starts releasing their songs and becomes a big hit? Then apparently later we find out that a few other people also remember them?

Ding ding ding.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

I share your ambivalence and thought the movie was pretty good. It is just a well done, cute, film. Nothing spectacular or groundbreaking, but if you kinda want to smile and feel good, it worked.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I caught it because there's nothing to do and this place tells me what to watch and it was a lot of fun. I would have liked more music with longer cuts of each but I like musicals in general.

BUT

Kate McKinnon is so fucking bad she almost tanks the whole goddamn thing. I'm not even sure I can explain it. Ever see an old movie and there's this side character that doesn't make any sense and doesn't fit to the point it's fucking baffling? Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's springs to mind but it isn't quite right. It's just like, the fuck is this all of a sudden? You're watching something in black and white and check the IMDB you're so fucking confused and it's a comedian you've never heard of from fifty years ago doing awful shtick and time has done it no favors. It's like that but it's her and it's the present day.

Just. Awful.

But everything else was great. Lots of fun characters and the lead has a great voice and I liked seeing
John Lennon
even if he was a prick in real life. I did feel out of touch having no fucking clue who Ed Sheeran was but that's likely an experience had by many a geezer going to see a movie with Beatles songs in it. Oh, he's one of the best selling artists of all time with top selling albums in recent years. The shit you lose track of.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I caught it because there's nothing to do and this place tells me what to watch and it was a lot of fun. I would have liked more music with longer cuts of each but I like musicals in general.

BUT

Kate McKinnon is so fucking bad she almost tanks the whole goddamn thing. I'm not even sure I can explain it. Ever see an old movie and there's this side character that doesn't make any sense and doesn't fit to the point it's fucking baffling? Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's springs to mind but it isn't quite right. It's just like, the fuck is this all of a sudden? You're watching something in black and white and check the IMDB you're so fucking confused and it's a comedian you've never heard of from fifty years ago doing awful shtick and time has done it no favors. It's like that but it's her and it's the present day.

Just. Awful.

But everything else was great. Lots of fun characters and the lead has a great voice and I liked seeing
John Lennon
even if he was a prick in real life. I did feel out of touch having no fucking clue who Ed Sheeran was but that's likely an experience had by many a geezer going to see a movie with Beatles songs in it. Oh, he's one of the best selling artists of all time with top selling albums in recent years. The shit you lose track of.

I'm glad you saw this!

I completely agree about Kate McKinnon. Especially because that useless broad walks in during The Long and Winding Road!

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Question for those who hate Kate Mckinnon in this. Do you like her normally?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Question for those who hate kate Mckinnon. Do you like her normally?

I don't hate her. I just thought she was terrible in this. I don't watch SNL and the only other film I've seen her in is Ghostbusters which I haven't ever finished. That one was just bad across the board though. She didn't stand out.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I share your ambivalence and thought the movie was pretty good. It is just a well done, cute, film. Nothing spectacular or groundbreaking, but if you kinda want to smile and feel good, it worked.

yeah the movie actually would have been almost just as good if it was just some random made up band and songs rather than The Beatles. it being The Beatles definitely adds to it (even for non-Beatles fans, just since EVERYONE knows some Beatles) but it's a damn good movie regardless.

• 1Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
They cut the chick from BR2049 but kept McKinnon. I thought it was enjoyable but would have liked to see the fuck-me eyes deArmas gives him in this scene incorporated.

• 1Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I think that my only issue with this movie was the romcom aspect towards the end felt off, other than that really good premise and execution and it was perfectly cast. I think that, in alt universe not reality, nobody would have cared at all about any of these songs in their current pop music atmosphere. I was kind of wishing that they'd delve more into the reach of The Beatles more than they did and how an incomplete British invasion would have resulted in almost all music being off and the back and forth between the US and UK with genres would have had a dip in it that would have prevented everything moving forward from that point from happening in the same manner. This just assumed that everything was the same except for a few holes but pop music ended up in the same spot so there was never really a use for The Beatles. Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran and whatever else is current's fans would give zero fucks about any Beatles songs, it would just be amateur sounding love songs to those people without autotune and quantized beats. Overthought all of this but it's honestly way too good of music to be popular present day

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
at least Across the universe was upfront about just being a Beatles based cash grab. This tried to be some kind of profound mystery and just made no sense.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I think that my only issue with this movie was the romcom aspect towards the end felt off, other than that really good premise and execution and it was perfectly cast. I think that, in alt universe not reality, nobody would have cared at all about any of these songs in their current pop music atmosphere.

There's a scene in the very beginning where Jack and Rocky are bullshitting about his set in the empty tent and Rocky goes "so still making love to sweet Ellie?" and she says "no not ever not once" and walks out of the tent. What that scene is supposed to do is demonstrate she's interested and he's aloof but it doesn't. To anyone that has been lit up in public I think it is going to come off as her lighting up Jack in public making it clear to the whole world that they aren't fucking and they aren't going to be. Then when Jack is on the verge of super fame she's all sad during his going away party. Why didn't we ever end up together! Don't you know that I always wanted you to make a move on me!

It's just hard to believe that Jack is the one holding up the start of a relationship given he's sorta dorky (by movie standards) singing below average songs versus Ellie who is super cute.

• 1Like
I enjoy a good romantic comedy, and for me at least, Beatles songs still blow my mind. They are fine tunes, and I love a good tune.

I've watched the film twice. I will likely watch a third time sooner or later. It is not a complicated movie, and I especially like the older couple who thought they were crazy having all these songs they remembered. It's a fun flick!

And McKinnon *almost* blows it. But her end scene, cursing and running through the arena, made me laugh. But yeah: hello, casting?

It was almost as bad as Kirsten Wiig in the Martian. Totally out of place lol.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
She was an antagonist when the film didn't need one. All the conflict you need with Jack is internal. There's a fairy tale/heightened reality vibe to the whole thing and her character clashes with that. The scene where he's at the head of a huge table in a giant room with a thousand marketers is really all you need from the business end. You could also just give Ed more time on screen. Him not feeling good enough when he was competing on the fly with basically some of the best an alternate universe could put out is a neat idea. I'd rather have more of that than the sleezy manager subplot. There's also the bit where Jack is playing Beatles songs and it's not quite going anywhere and he comes to the conclusion that it was him all along that was the problem. That was a really interesting kernel that goes nowhere.

While grinding in PoE I threw in a couple Beatles albums I hadn't ever listened to before, Penny Lane and Meet the Beatles. I thought Meet the Beatles was their first US album from the title but it's their second. Penny Lane was a lot of fun but Meet the Beatles is just terrible bland early 60s pop music. You could have had Jack start with I Wanna Hold Your Hand and She Loves You and just completely crash and burn before busting out the A material. Oh right, why would I think anyone would give a fuck about 60 year old bubblegum.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Across the Universe was way better than this, and it wasn’t that good.
Forgot about Across the Universe. Not into musicals. Never seen it.

Hoss Hoss this is a rom com so take it for what it is.

BUT

Just. Awful.

John Lennon
First time I saw Jojen Reed I thought it's that guy that looks nothing like Paul McCartney.

Completely dislike McKinnon. I've caught her on snl a few times. Saw parts of Ghostbusters while flipping channels. She is unlikable, period.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Forgot about Across the Universe. Not into musicals. Never seen it.

In my opinion, Across the Universe is for Beatles fans and little girls. It's an extremely weak movie, and the story is crap, and they shoehorn in so many beatles references (like all the characters are basically named after beatles songs) that it makes me cringe. BUT, as a lifelong Beatles fan who is 38 years old and was not alive during the Beatles (I'm such a fan I've been to Liverpool, done all the tours, have every album, have all the bootlegs and outtakes, signed photo by astrid kirchherr of the beatles, etc,) seeing some of the music videos in Across the Universe really opened my eyes up to how innocent and lovely their early music was. "Hold me Tight" "I Want to Hold Your Hand" "I've Just Seen a Face" "She Loves You" "Please Please Me", etc. I'm going to sound like a total faggot, but they're just sweet and innocent songs. It's not "I want to fuck you and cum on your tits", it's that innocent feeling of an early relationship, when you have butterflies in your stomach because you're just touching the girl you like. ... Across the Universe butchers some of their later music. There is a pretty cool cover of "Oh, Darling!" with this obnoxious Janis Joplin ripoff that starts it off then it goes into this Jimi Hendrix rip off that actually slays the song well.

Fuck I just rewatched that, she's so bad. This movie is a pile of shit, I agree.

• 1Like